Subaru owners: Let's see your expedition rigs!

smorris

I mounted the ARB Touring 2500 Awning onto the '08 OBXT today. I'm 5'-8", and can just walk under it. When I mount it on the Yakima Basket, it will be about 10-12" higher. Crappy photo from above was taken through a screen, so ignore the poor quality. The awning is 8' X 8'.

DSC_0001-X2.jpg

DSC_0009-X2.jpg

DSC_0010-X2.jpg

DSC_0011-X2.jpg

Superu_legacy

Subaru-Coffee-Chocolate
And while you're down there, hunt for a dual range gear box to swap into it. It'd be a straight swap and doable in sito, but bring it back Stateside and change the low gearing to the GL low (1.59:1).
Dual range 5MT awesomeness IS doable in the US!

Hello folks,

Do you think Subaru Outback (2008-2012 models) with manual gearbox would be a good fit for Latin America expeditions, like in Patagonia, Chile, Argentina?
Is it reliable enough to take such a trip?

If it is so, which model would recommend me for this kind of job?

Thank you.

Superu_legacy

Subaru-Coffee-Chocolate
Sweet 08 XT awesomeness!!! My favorite OB is the 08-09, either an XT or an H-6 limited

Quick tip on the lift. Save the spacers and mayyr 06 Baja springs to those 04 shocks and struts. The baja springs will give you lift and stiffening ride improvement for daily AND load bearing.

Ooh and nice lookin' LOW Mileage WRX there. Well debadged to the simple awesomeness! ;)

I've got a 2008 Outback 2.5 XT Limited 5MT with just under 34,000 miles on it. I bought it new, and it is mostly stock. I'm changing that now, though, as at the end of the summer, we are taking it out west for an extended exploration of as many out of the way places as we can get to.

I currently have two roof rack configurations. One with Thule 58" crossbars with two kayak racks and two bicycle racks. The other is with the Subaru branded Yakima LoadWarrior heavy duty basket with an 18" extension giving me a 39" X 62" basket. I have an ARB 2500 Awning that can be mounted to either rack configuration.

I'm about to replace the OEM tires with a set of 225-60-17 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S tires, and I'll replace the soft rear struts with '04 struts for a stiffer rear. While I have the struts out, I'll probably to a 1" spacer lift. I'm also contemplating a skid plate and light bar. Inside, I want to take the rear seat completely out and build a floor-level box in its place. Then add a new "floor" in the cargo area with brackets and tie downs for a 'fridge, boxes, compressor, etc. That way I can take the entire floor out and have the full cargo area for whatever I need to load in there.

DSC_0010-X2.jpg

DSC_0003-X2.jpg

Here's the ARB awning balanced up there while I tried figuring out a mounting method.

IMG_4681-X2.jpg

And here's my 2002 WRX Sport Wagon 5MT (with a whopping 37,000 miles on it), which is lowered and not good for any off-pavement driving. :)

DSC_2275-X2.jpg

I'll add new photos as I make progress.
Steve

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
i do it alot haha

its so much fun with a wheel in the air

so friend says, Hey, Ill spot for you so you can go up to the top of the rock to take that first picture....doesnt know how to spot

Brett_Murphy

Another XT

All the Foresters drew me in, even though the expedition vehicle I am building is a 200 Nissan Xterra I picked up for $350. However, I have a 2004 Forester XT 5 speed. I don't have mine set up for any sort of serious off-roading.
It has:
STi steering rack, lateral links and rear swaybar
Primitive front and rear skidplates (they do work, in the third picture below a large hidden rock put a dent into the front one )
stock height King Springs and GX2 shocks and struts.

I've had it on the beach before and I've taken it on some soft roads, but it had spent most of its time as my rallycross car. It's now mostly retired from everything but daily driver duty.

1474558_10201461792130663_1209281843_n.jpg

894533_10101421347515059_1336497535_o.jpg

389705_10150755965648791_1971096554_n.jpg

Superu_legacy

Subaru-Coffee-Chocolate
i do it alot haha

its so much fun with a wheel in the air

so friend says, Hey, Ill spot for you so you can go up to the top of the rock to take that first picture....doesnt know how to spot

:costumed-smiley-007 yeah, not cool. Spotter baaaaaad.
God bless the VDC and armor!!! :coffee:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier