Subaru owners: Let's see your expedition rigs!

jeffryscott

2006 Rally Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
My 04 4Runner was recently totaled when a driver turned left into me, resulting in rolling. I am looking for a replacement, maybe another 4Runner, but leaning towards a Subaru Forester or Outback for a nice combo of capability and gas mileage. I haven’t done any heavy duty wheeling in a while, so I think another 4Runner is probably more than I need, despite loving the platform.

This my question: after all the mods, what kind of real world gas mileage are people getting in Foresters and Outbacks? My old Suzuki Vitara took a big hit with lift, tires, etc... making the difference between my 4Runner and Vitara minimal. Also, any regrets for those who have moved from a very capable 4wd platform to a capable crossover?

Theprofessional

Silent Footfalls
Also, any regrets for those who have moved from a very capable 4wd platform to a capable crossover?
I've done some crazy ******** in a stock Subaru and have never reeeeally found the limits and had to turn around and go home. My Forester hasn't seen the miles my old Outback has but the latter never left me stranded on a trail (as in nothing ever broke except for that one time).
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pertaining to the thread topic, I have acquired (yet another) Outback!

I already have two Subarus to thrash offroad so this blue beauty will be for pavement-oriented "expeditions" (which is 90% of anything, be honest).

It is -so- much more fun on-road with its grippy-as-hell tires and sway bars and such.KIMG1487.JPG

WhatTheZo

This my question: after all the mods, what kind of real world gas mileage are people getting in Foresters and Outbacks? My old Suzuki Vitara took a big hit with lift, tires, etc... making the difference between my 4Runner and Vitara minimal. Also, any regrets for those who have moved from a very capable 4wd platform to a capable crossover?

I have a 2.5i and I drive pretty aggressive. With a loft, oversized ATs and Methods I get like 26-28mpg. Roof rack drops me to around 22 mpg. Off-roading around southern California with everything I get 18-20 mpg.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

ktiemann

I am pretty in line with @WhatTheZo . I have no lift, and daily driving I get about 26. If I put the basket and tire on the roof and hit the highway at 80 mph I get around 20-22.

Smileyshaun

Observer
No lift but squeezed 235/75r15 still maintaining 30+ on the freeway , worst tank so far was 25 due to deep snow and lots of hills . keep a eye on the weight of the tire wheel combo every extra lb you have you have to push around really effects the mpg . with my setup I'm actually 3lbs lighter than stock .

Dougnuts

Our 2015 3.6R has averaged 22.7mpg over 88k miles, according to our log on Fuelly.com. I think that’s great considering all of our family trips have been with the cargo box on top, or else it would probably be a few tenths higher. The small mileage penalty is worth having the 6cyl, imho.

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
Average 25mpg with KO2 stock size & roof box... and about 400# on the rear...including rear tire carrier...502785502803

Last edited:

screwball48

Explorer
My 04 4Runner was recently totaled when a driver turned left into me, resulting in rolling. I am looking for a replacement, maybe another 4Runner, but leaning towards a Subaru Forester or Outback for a nice combo of capability and gas mileage. I haven’t done any heavy duty wheeling in a while, so I think another 4Runner is probably more than I need, despite loving the platform.

I know it isn’t on your vehicle list but I average between 32 & 35 mpg in a 2018 Crosstrek. The best I have seen was a stint averaging 42 one time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles