Suburban tire dilemma...

rayra

Expedition Leader
Here, fun starts here -

http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...ckup-Suburban-Yukon-etc?p=2131210#post2131210

suspensionlift11_zpskv6vhpuy.jpg

Just set you jackstands forward of the trailing arms, the set your floor jack under the axle. Pull the wheels and brake line retainer and shocks and I had already planned to replace my sway bar end links, so I dropped them too. After that I just lowered the axle and wiggled it around a little.

suspensionlift15_zpshjmohedw.jpg

And if you think you are worried about doing it, just read a little further in that topic.

tennesseewj

Observer
I cleared 285/75/16s on my 03 Silverado without maxing out the stock torsion keys. I left ~3/4" of rake in the stance so it wouldn't sit nose-high with a trailer hooked up.

Not to complicate your dilemma, but I know the 05-07 Silverado got larger front brake rotors and calipers that could be swapped onto 03-04 Silverado for a brake upgrade. I would assume your Suburban is subject to the same upgrade; however, the larger calipers & rotors will require a 17" wheel. I don't know what the stopping power feels like with your trailer behind it, but I always felt my 03 Silverado could've used the stopping upgrade, especially while running the 285/75/16s.

There is also some stopping power to be gained by swapping to the 3/4 hydroboost braking components. This may allow you to retain the smaller rotors and thus 16" wheels.

Just another factor to consider in the proverbial can of worms!

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
There is also some stopping power to be gained by swapping to the 3/4 hydroboost braking components. This may allow you to retain the smaller rotors and thus 16" wheels.
I have two GMs with hydroboost upgrades on 16" systems, and the hydroboost made a HUGE improvement in braking and overall safety. One is an old Escalade with an aftermarket Bosch pump, and the other is a 1/2 ton truck with hydroboost from a later 1-ton GM truck, and both are running 32-35" tires on stock suspension. The hydroboost systems provide much shorter stopping distances and eliminated the truck's brake fade due to boiling the fluid. I also switched to hi-temp racing fluid for the truck because the brakes were so horrible, plus 3/4-ton calipers on 1/2-ton rotors, and ambulance pads. If your Sub already has factory hydroboost, better pads would still help.

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
I thought about those awhile back, man they look weird on suburbans that skinny at 33's. The 35's skinny look fine for some reason (almost old school land cruiser) but the 33's when they are skinny just look too small. Also not sure about weight loading, especially towing with the skinny tires. Don't know if that makes a difference?

Do some reading and you will learn that a skinny tire actually tows better than a fat tire. And where do you see a skinny 35?

Yeah the current 265s look skinny enough. 255's would look really weird.

The GMT800 body kind of calls for a "fat tire" look anyway.

The 255's will fit with the stock suspension and have zero rubbing, all while reducing your rotating mass, improving braking, and getting better mpg than a fat/wide tire. I look at it from a logical standpoint, but to each their own. As for looks, who the freak cares, if looks were your main concern you would likely be driving a different vehicle.

justcuz

Explorer
That should convince you to "just do it". Don't forget to disconnect the sway bar links too. Rayra's thread covers it.
I will tell you this, having had the sway bar removed for a couple years now, I actually articulated the rear axle enough to rub the inner fenders on Cleghorn Rd a while back. As high as the back of my Suburban is, I was really surprised when I came home and saw that. The Lock Rite replacement of the blown Gov Lock turned the Suburban into a mountain goat!

Burb One

Adventurer
Do some reading and you will learn that a skinny tire actually tows better than a fat tire. And where do you see a skinny 35?

Yep, you are correct, did some reading last night, and I guess less rotational mass usually is always the winner and will overcome any other downsides a taller tire will have. I was thinking grip and rollover might be a problem with heavier trucks (vs a jeep or other lighter truck) but rotational mass is really the killer, so all else equal, skinny ******. There's a few 35 11's out there now I believe. There was a thread awhile ago, never did much more research into it other than what was said in that thread.

The 255's will fit with the stock suspension and have zero rubbing, all while reducing your rotating mass, improving braking, and getting better mpg than a fat/wide tire. I look at it from a logical standpoint, but to each their own. As for looks, who the freak cares, if looks were your main concern you would likely be driving a different vehicle.

I think the 285/75/16 is the perfect size for a mixture of looks and capability for the 2" inch lifted suburban/tahoe. When I had the 2-3' lift I would still have the rears rub a tad under FULL compression (Ie the other side tire is off the ground) but it was just scratch marks on the plastic fender liner. The biggest for me was I had trim some off the front fender liner. It would scrape(horrible sound) only when locked steering and ONLY in reverse on pavement, wouldn't scrape in the front any other time surprisingly. With that, I would assume if used off road with any type of compression, the 285/75/16 will rub significantly if there's no lift. Also, because you are towing your rear end may sit a little lower than someone without the weight, but not sure how much off road you are doing with that trailer:).

I usually always go with function over form, (which is why I still use the 285/75/16 on my 6" lift) but I don't think there is going to be much appreciable difference between a skinny 33 and "medium" 33 like the 285/75/16 other than the looks, they all seem to be within 3-4 pounds of each other depending on load range and at/mt , etc. I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Last edited:

p nut

butter
I agree on the wider tire suggestion. On my old Tacoma, I had some 235's (and 245's) thinking it would help with power, MPG, etc. compared to 265/75/16's. Nope, not the case at all. Same MPG, power was the same, and all other performance was the same. Except the lateral grip. That was way worse on the skinnier tire. Sold them off quick.
_
Another issue with the 255/85/16's is tire selection. I think only MT's available in that size?

NMC_EXP

Explorer
Martin

This Suburban thing must be contagious. We decided to buy a 16 ft camper trailer. Needed a tow vehicle and bought a nice '99 Suburban K1500.

This version has 16" wheels. Today we installed OEM sized LT245/75R16 load range E Firestone Destination AT tires along with KYB MonoMax shocks.

We've had the Firestone Destination AT tires on her 4Runner for quite a while and have been extremely happy with them in all conditions including mild trails.

I was a bit worried about the 'E' rated tires and the KYB shocks but the ride is fine.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Martin

This Suburban thing must be contagious. We decided to buy a 16 ft camper trailer. Needed a tow vehicle and bought a nice '99 Suburban K1500.

In the motorcycle world, I have observed that if you ride long enough, eventually you'll end up on a Gold Wing, a Harley or a BMW. Maybe in the Off Road world it's the Suburban that you end up in eventually?

This version has 16" wheels. Today we installed OEM sized LT245/75R16 load range E Firestone Destination AT tires along with KYB MonoMax shocks.

Wow, 245 seems surprisingly skinny for a modern truck. That's what, about 9"?

We've had the Firestone Destination AT tires on her 4Runner for quite a while and have been extremely happy with them in all conditions including mild trails.

I was a bit worried about the 'E' rated tires and the KYB shocks but the ride is fine.

How do the Destinations do in snow?

NMC_EXP

Explorer
Wow, 245 seems surprisingly skinny for a modern truck. That's what, about 9"?

How do the Destinations do in snow?

The 245/75 16 is the factory tire size. The section width is 9.8" and tread is 7.7".

Her 4Runner with the Firestones has never been in deep snow. In loose snow less than a foot deep and on packed snow they do fine. No experience on ice.

Dry and wet pavement traction are both outstanding.

Link to Tirerack info:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Destination+A/T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior