Suggestions for making my Series III ready for overlanding?

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Sarah,

I went this route when i put my can on the front bumper. I may adjust the design as it prevents a full rotation of the starting handle. I will either extend the starting handle or put the cans on risers much like the Camel Trophy trucks did: http://gunsandrovers.com/showthread.php?t=6433&page=4

The update from 5-9-15
Generally better to link to a specific post (or photo) rather than a page as an individuals forum preferences can alter the number of posts per page.
I'm assuming you were referring to this photo

attachment.php

I was going to suggest that mount to her, but she's planning on getting a winch so those wouldn't work, not enough room. Unless she raised them, as you mentioned.

Sleam

Explorer
Looks good though. The winch will take a while coming (money wise)...I have the roof rack on, the tail gate back on, and a screen to keep the dogs in and bugs out. I'm getting closer and closer!

landie 13.jpg

LR Max

Local Oaf
The few times I've carried extra fuel, I carry it inside. If I think it's going to he a problem I wrap the can in a plastic bag.

Would be a good solution then when empty, put it on the roof rack.

Also I'd look at using a newer fuel container. I have no idea why everyone loves jerry cans. They are heavy and spill every where. The plastic CARB plastic jug on the other hand is easy and spill free. Also weighs nothing.

Sleam

Explorer
Yep, I have no idea why it's Jerry cans, the history/ look? I don't know the other options. To be honest it's not like I go far into the middle of nowhere. I have about 150 mile range and rarely get out of reach of a gas station. And if it's late at night and the station is closed, well, I can camp there until they open, right?? Lots of dreams here for me but who knows where I'll end up! Expo next year in the Series so I can camp with other Landies! Other than that, I'll keep on exploring New Mexico, that should keep me busy for a while.
s

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
Also I'd look at using a newer fuel container. I have no idea why everyone loves jerry cans. They are heavy and spill every where. The plastic CARB plastic jug on the other hand is easy and spill free. Also weighs nothing.
None of my NATO cans leak or spill and the nice thing about them when used with a Series Rover is there's no need to even carry a spout.

alaskantinbender

Adventurer
None of my NATO cans leak or spill and the nice thing about them when used with a Series Rover is there's no need to even carry a spout.

To echo, the NATO cans are much better than the old style jerry cans. You could put one on each side of your spare in the roof rack and double your range.

Sleam

Explorer
On another note, I've looked at trailers and didn't like any so far. I also looked at the rtts and the dogs didn't like the sensation when i was up there and they bolted. I even checked out the SUV tents that attach to the back/ tailgate. I guess I like the low profile low tech style travel. The tent. A hammock sometimes, I used to attach to opposite corners in the Series and that worked. So, yes, I'm going with a tent and bedding, dogs in the truck or with me, up to each of them. Throw a few things on the roofrack, the bag of clothes, and light stuff. Keep the bedding at the dog platform, does double duty on the road then. A box of cooking gear and a cooler of food enough to feed me for a couple of days at a time. Like I said, I'm sticking to the Four Corners for now so never too far. I'll look into the NATO and other style cans, one for fuel and one for water.
Keeping it simple after all! I like gadgets and all the stuff on show at Expo but when it comes down to it, i like driving around and looking like I belong. Well, that won't happen in the Series, but you know what I mean!
s

Sleam

Explorer
Well, It's good to revisit this thread from Spring. I've bought a 1985 M416 trailer with a solid and lockable lid. I'm using it for carrying the camping gear, tent, food and water for me and three dogs. I went out into the back woods of Colorado this summer and ran out of water pretty quickly with that amount of lapping dogs. So this seems a great fit for me.

IMG_20151129_163333764.jpg

I've attached a high lift to the front and asked a local friend to teach me some safe usage tricks. I'll get the straps after that lesson when he tells me the specifics!
I've sorted out the weight distribution concept and know i'll have to reorganise the packing as we go along. I set up solar lights inside, a strip that is attached to the lid so when I open it at night I have something to see by.

Little Red .jpg

I've bought new BFG tires for the Rover and it makes a huge difference! The trailer has 7.00x16 tires that need replacing before long and I'll get them to match Shorty.
I found an SUV tent in Santa Fe for sale and got a great deal on that and took it camping late summer to a lake near by. I'd also made a simple shade structure off the side. It's not so much i don't like camping but mixing the kitchen and sleeping made me uneasy in bear country, so having a lockable trailer for all that stuff makes me relax.
What else? I'm still keeping it simple, nothing extra, just now there is space in the Rover for all four of us and I can set up camp fairly easily. Yep, it's winter I know but I'm preparing!

DSC03390.jpg

DSC03405.jpg

Thanks for taking the time to reply and give me your ideas. Take care, s

DSC03436.jpg

ricker

Here is a web page about a couple pulling a trailer from Nova Scotia to Florida and back with an 88: thewildrovers.wordpress.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sleam

Explorer
The photos for you

Today was a play with the Rover kind of a day, warm enough for a long sleeved shirt, and sunny enough for great photos!
IMG_20151207_143006928_HDR.jpg

A perfect fit, although I discovered that the tongue weight on the support/ leg thingy was almost too heavy for me to lift to disengage and drop onto the hitch. I might get a bottle jack which would get around that, lifting it so I can release the mechanism, and then lower it gently. Other ideas?

IMG_20151207_142946076.jpg

rokrawlr

Observer
I would say just use the high lift you have on the trailer to lift and lower the tongue. No need to carry any additional jacks. In my experience, high lifts tend to get uncooperative when neglected and the easiest fix is a quick spray of WD-40 and use of the mechanism. Plus, you'll also gain experience working with the jack in a somewhat controlled environment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne