Suggestions on satellite phones?

XXXpedition

Explorer
For our upcoming Down Under XXXpedition, we're looking into satellite phones for emergency communication. Depending on cost and ease of use, we might also use it to upload pics to our website (slowly, I realize). Anyone knows anything about these gadgets? Some places rent them out but since we need one for approx. 6 months, we might be better off buying. Any recommendations? Thanks!

gjackson

FRGS
We took an Iridium sat phone to Africa with 200 pre-paid minutes. I think minutes were about 1$ each. Worked very well and was nice to have, although we never used it for data transfer, just for voice. The service can provide very cheap (sometimes free) incoming text messages. Problem is you have to leave the phone on to recieve them, so battery longevity can be an issue.

cheers

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
I have used the Iridium units down in Baja for the races and do work great, the clarity is amazing.

They had some slight problems connecting to other sat phones, but once they did connect, they never dropped a call and worked great!

They connect to land lines and regular cell phones flawlessly. However, we did have some slight minor problems connecting to other sat phones.

2 down sides we noticed were you needed to be outside of the vehicle to make or recieve a call and they arent very efficent on batteries! :D

If i were to end up purchasing one of these units, it would be an Iridium!

XXXpedition

Explorer
Thanks for this feedback, guys.
Renting is one of the options, but at $30 a week for 6 months, we might as well buy one. Looks like it'll be either Globalstar or Iridium. Thanks!

RAM5500 CAMPERTHING

OG Portal Member #183
Look around the race websites, they have killer special deals on them before the races usually.

The team we work for deals with this place:

http://pciraceradios.com/catalog/default.aspx?ProductID=10426

Ebay has some KILLER package deals sometimes. Folks like you buy complete systems for long trips and then sell them when they are done.

Here are a few:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Iridium-9505-Gl...ryZ64355QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Motorola-9500-I...ryZ42428QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Globalstar-Sate...5844567145QQcategoryZ1503QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Iridium-9505-Mo...466615226QQcategoryZ14411QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited:

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
IIRC Globalstar is the one to get for OZ...coverage wise.

Look for used units...you can save some $$$

I've always been pleased with GS's coverage and ease of use.

-H-

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
I have been using a Qualcom unit with Globalstar service for about 3 years. The cost is only a bit more than a cell phone, and I like the ability to use it anywhere. I take it when I travel - worldwide. Don't forget to caryy all the phone numbers that you might need in the area you are travelling in.

Mike

GeoRoss

Adventurer
For those of you who don't know, sat phones do suffer from the problem of needing a 'line of sight' to the satellites. It has been my experience that they work poorly in urban areas/canyons, worse than a GPS unit. When in an urban area you will end up finding all the best roof top bars to make calls. The also tend to be much more sensitive to 'atmoshperic conditions' than other wireless communications but that could have just been my phone though I was three miles closer to the sats than at sea level.

What ever phone/plan you go with, try to find one with free text messaging so you can recieve info from home. This saves battery life and expense of checking the voice mail. For those 'weekend warriors' go with a plan where you buy pre-paid minutes and pay the premium so that they can roll over. Consider buying a refurbished unit instead of renting if you see several years of multi month usage in your future.

Buy two batteries if you can even if you will be near a power grid at times. The reason I say this is unless you are in your personal vehicle, you cannot vouche/predict how operational the vehicle is you will be driving in. A number of times I have been in vehicles where the 12V cig lighter doesn't work. On an 8 week field season I didn't even run down the charge of one battery, but I only had it on for about 15-20 minutes a day and only had about 2-3, 10-20 minute phone calls per week.

People I work with have also reported good luck with solar chargers for recharging batteries.

Have fun,

Ross

XXXpedition

Explorer
Great! There's a lot of good info here. Thanks.
We ended up getting an Iridium 9505 phone supplied by Satcom Direct for this trip. We have two batteries and hope the car charger will work. As the Jeep has been on the ocean voyage for a while now we have not had an opportunity to test how the charging works.....

We'll keep you posted!

Dave

Explorer
expeditionswest said:
I have used the Globalstar units successfuly. I have always rented, which runs about $30 per week.

Can you recommend a place for rental? Looks like I'm going to need a sat phone during our upcoming trip due to limited staff availability here at the office.

As a side note, it was pretty cool scouring ExPo for legitimate work purposes!
:elkgrin:

Skillet

Adventurer
I also would like to know of a good suggestion on renting one for my upcoming baja trip.

Mangler, where do you rent yours from?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94