Sumo Springs

colin_r6

First off. Not looking to increase capacity. Just want to minimize rear end squat while towing.

I have a rather lightweight camper(Backpacker 2XT from ThreefeathersMFG).
It's rated at 1500lbs. Doesn't have a wet weight (no holding tanks of any sort). It's probably around 2500lbs after i've loaded it up with my stuff. Probably closer to 2000. Axe, stove, dishes etc.
I usually put a couple totes in the box of the truck with a few more goodies - gold panning gear, chainsaw, some firewood and a propane bottle.

I HATE having my truck squat down for the entire length of a tow - and i'm considering sumo springs. Just wondering if they can be left in 100% of the time, or if they stiffen up the unloaded ride beyond comfortable.

Would it be possible to drill out the center and make it so I could thread them on/off as needed? A quick release system, if you will...

Hoping someone with a 3rd gen Tacoma has 'em and can relate experience!

chunko

Observer
Sounds like you keep them in full time. I don't have a Taco but this piqued my curiosity enough to find this thread and it sounds like most people notice some difference in ride quality but not so bad that anyone had to make a removable mounting system.

downhill

Adventurer
sounds like a perfect job for Firestone RideRite air bags. I used them on my second gen for a few years with very good results.

colin_r6

I had the firestones before. They were ok, but I hated fussing with the air pressure, constantly checking them to make sure that I didn't run them empty.

Thanks for the link to that thread! I searched... obviously not well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94