SunRoamer (er Rader) project complete

purplehayes

I just completed my conversion SUNROAMER 2WD. Pictures attached. One picture shows tire size difference on front.
Seen a lot of threads about converting Toyota Sunraders' to 4X4 or at least just increasing the tire size on those rigs. Seems the issue with those are that the wheels are just impossible to find forcing one to either get custom wheels or change out hub assemblies etc.
I haven't been off road yet but first impression on driving is great. First I sit about 4" taller which is great for getting in and out of the Sunroamer. I don't hit my head on the overhead portion above the drivers door. Initial impression driving around town is that it has a very stout feeling. Lots of damping due to extra tire rubber. I instantly noticed the absence of abrupt shock vibrations from driving over manhole covers and other surface imperfections. Can't wait to hit the washboards.
With this setup, I have more tire patch up front and wider front stability. All of this may reduce my turning radius, but I haven't noticed. Reduced MPG due to height, maybe. I'm about 4.5" taller total. But with that height, I also have 4.5" of airflow underneath as well.
The rear wheel setup went from duellies to single tire with a minor loss of tire patch. The total tire patch contact area of all of the duellies is only 110% larger than this single wheel setup. In other words the new bigger tire on the rear is 90% of the total of tire patch compared to the stock duelly wheel setup.
No speedo changes necessary, new gearing gets me where I was before with a slight % in my favor.
Maybe in the future, I'll convert to 4x4. I don't think I need it though. With #5000 on the rear tires, traction is not an issue especially with a locker rear end. Not sure 4x4 on the front will do much anyways.

SunRoamer 2WD.
2" lift front end accomplished with new beefier torsion bars.
2" rear lift with add a leaf.
New gas monroe shocks
Stock Air bags
Full floating 1 ton rear end.
245/70/16 ******** Cepek Trail Country Load E #2900 tires.
16 X 8 with 5.50 backspace custom steel wheels powder coated black. Reversible front to rear wheels. Valve stem access either direction.
4:88 new gears rear end with locker.
no clearance issues for the rear.
needed to pound in floor board about an 1/2", easy, sledge hammer. slightly modify plastic fender liners.
Adding bushwacker cut out front flares since tires protrude about 2.5".
My SunRoamer weighs #7000 wet, #2000 on front tires, #5000 on rear.
ARB front bumper with #8000 winch with Factor 55 Prolink, may be too light but I shouldn't be getting too crazy out there anyways in a #7000 rig.
stock V6 with bigger exhaust and air intake lets me hit 80 mph and climb most steep freeway grades at speed limit. 13-16 MPG before conversion.

Attachments

• sunroamer 009.JPG
    sunroamer 009.JPG
    170.5 KB · Views: 75
  • sunroamer 010.JPG
    sunroamer 010.JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 93
  • sunroamer 002.JPG
    sunroamer 002.JPG
    270.7 KB · Views: 82

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Nice work!

I often wonder what help 4wd is to these, as traction usually isn't the issue. The low range would be helpful, but I can't imagine the actual front drive being too much of a help.

That's quite a jump with the differential gears. I suppose with overdrive, you might still be at comfortable revs on the highway, and the lower cogs probably help get through the tough stuff.

Does your chassis have a 5500 lb GVWR too?

Really interesting. It looks great! Interested in seeing where you go!

DIY Guy

Observer
I love this build, there's SO much potential here! What type of amenities does the camper portion provide? Can't wait to see more pictures!

codybutz

Observer
That tire difference is amazing. How about a couple interior shots? I've been stalking one in my area, but hate to get it home and find myself half way through the 4x4 conversion kicking myself for attempting it. This might be the perfect kick in the pants I need. :coffeedrink:

purplehayes

INTERIOR and amenities

It's in the shop getting the locker and gear swap as I write. I too am excited about this project. I loved my rader/roamer before and now just have more reasons to love it more. It helps to see threads from others that encourage me to keep posting.
See pics.

This is not a stock Sunrader anymore. I do have the following done to the rig (not in order of importance);
  • removed AC from roof, replaced with auto fantastic fan, that saved about a hundred #'s. I never plug in so an AC was not useful to me.
  • New Stove
  • New corian counter sink surround. I had corian for all of the counters, but have returned to originals because of the weight. Painted counter black.
  • New stainless deep single bowl sink with new faucet
  • New Heater
  • New refrigerator, black
  • New cork flooring, no carpet in here
  • shower converted to dressers via conveniently sized plastic drawers that fit perfectly
  • Soon, exterior mounted shower with integrated curtain and weld on stand to keep feet off dirt while showering. Already designed, just need to fabricate
  • V6 auto - only mods are big exhaust and air intake.
  • 2 deep cycle coach batteries with flexible self adhesive solar panels 68W on roof. Keeps coach batteries topped off every day.
  • 1500W inverter. Enough to run two movies and heater all night. Remember, no generator.
  • 17" LED screen on adjustable arm. Can swing to be viewed from outside of RV
  • rear back up camera with night UV
  • Nice stereo unit that controls all video / ipod / backup camera with display
  • custom rear bumper with gas can and two bike mounts. Bikes mount vertically without removing tires. I also have a custom PARK bike clamp for tuning my bike attached to bumper.
  • removed the ladder and use rear bumper now instead.
  • all LED lighting includes exterior coach lights.
  • INTERIOR LED lighting strips, super bright.
  • INTERIOR LED lighting strips, super bright.
  • Most metal powder coated BLACK. Includes all door hardware, mirrors, access panels, misc.
  • ALL BLACK and WHITE / silver interior. Same cabinets, just refurbished.
  • 2 Nice black swivel chairs replaced old dated chairs. Bought two cool office chairs from Staples and shortened for fitment.
  • replaced curtains with rollups. Weighs about the same and much cleaner look.
  • bedding area not refurbished yet. still has leaky front windows and curtains.
  • I will remove front windows in bedding area and replace with solid fiberglass. They leak because they are a poor design and cost prohibitive to re-fabricate or replace. Will put porthole type openings similar to a EARTHROAMER..

purplehayes

interior pics

forgot the pics

Attachments

• sunrad 014.jpg
    sunrad 014.jpg
    539.8 KB · Views: 61
  • sunrad 011.jpg
    sunrad 011.jpg
    510.5 KB · Views: 66
  • sunrad 015.jpg
    sunrad 015.jpg
    530.7 KB · Views: 68
  • sunrad 016.jpg
    sunrad 016.jpg
    542.2 KB · Views: 64
  • sunrad 017.jpg
    sunrad 017.jpg
    511.1 KB · Views: 63
  • sunrad 013.jpg
    sunrad 013.jpg
    515.2 KB · Views: 68

purplehayes

Go do it. I know this is NOT AN EARTHROAMER, but for about $20K, it's a great alternative. I used to drool over sportmobiles 4X4, but now have lost interest in those because they are too small inside and horrible gas mileage plus super expensive.
I did buy a CUMMINS diesel pickup Dodge 2500 for the specific purpose of throwing a all season camper on the back. I sold the truck because I decided that I could not live without the open cab to camper area. Plus a new all season camper cost more than all of my SunRoamer put together. There is nothing better than having my wife go make a sandwich while I'm driving down the freeway. That and being able to park on a whim anywhere and be able to drive away without getting out of the vehicle is invaluable when traveling across the country.
With the small tire setup, this summer we went on a week trip in Idaho wilderness area via wash boarded fire roads for 175 miles. Punched out in Stanley to refuel, dump waste, get water and food and went back in for a few more days. HEAVEN.
We had one venture in October (pre-snow) in the Stanley area where we spent three days camping when temps were 0 at night and 20's during day. My heater was running 24/7. Third day was overcast, and my batteries finally dropped below 11.3V, which didn't allow the heater to start up. That was because the solar panels weren't topping off batteries. Had to start the engine to replenish after three days of running on coach batteries. My rig has it's limits. Not to mention, no insulation.

purplehayes

update to sunroamer project

A couple road trips now with new setup. My washboard complaints have mostly been solved with this setup. Larger tire diameter seems to change the whole dynamic. While still being affected by washboard I can practically double my speed with about the same rattling.
Gas mileage was definitely affected unfortunately. Heavier tires and wheels don't help. This is a 2 mpg deficit now. Where I used to be able to get 13 to 16 mpg now its 12 to 15 mpg depending on flatness and speed.
I'm still stock v6 auto with airbox and high flow muffler. Thinking if I go 3 inch exhaust with high flow cat or test pipe May give me another 1 to 2 mpg back?
Overall pretty happy with setup despite the cost. Definitely got many thumbs up with several people caught looking underneath for front differential thinking it is 4x4.
Anyone have any feedback on switching to a header. ? I'm reluctant to switch from reliable stock car iron exhaust vs. Thin tubing header prone to issues?

JasonRedwood

Explorer
First off that is a great looking sunrader! Hoping to get into one in the next few years.
I'm curious if you know if the 3.0's in the toyota RV's had the head gasket issues?
In my research I haven't come across any reports of head gasket issues.
That kinda leads me into the Header review. I had a 89' 4runner with the 3.0.
I bought it with 98K on the engine. At around 125K or so I installed a pair of Downey Headers I found on a forum, unused.
I did notice a slight increase of horse power with a nice deeper sound. I cant say I noticed a difference in MPG.
My main motivation behind installing the headers was to alleviate the heating issue on the #6 cylinder.
Thats were I read the issues would come from for the head gasket. I did notice that the floor boards stayed a lot cooler compared to before. The headers had a much more efficient use of space.

Jb1rd

Explorer
Headers

I think Doug Thorley may make a set of headers for the V6, I had a set on my 22re and they were amazing!

purplehayes

4X4 SunRoamer SunRader Toyota RV UPDATE

Forget my previous entries about my 2wd RV.
Just went ahead and did it. Wasn't inexpensive, that's for sure. Work in Progress. So excited, I had to post a picture. I think it's the first 21 foot SAS 4x4 conversion to date.
Haven't driven it yet except with the rear end in stock height. Had to drive it to spring shop here in Boise with front axle only engaged. Still need to setup the rear drive shaft at correct height. This picture taken right after rear was raised to match the front end height. Feels a little unstable right now but looking into an custom beefy anti rock bar setup.
More later.

Attachments

• sunroamer march 2018.jpg
    sunroamer march 2018.jpg
    354.1 KB · Views: 65
Your rig looks awesome. I would love to see more info about your SAS. I've got an 18 footer that I'm considering trying to SAS. I'm also wondering about your performance gains from lifted 2wd to 4wd after you've had to time to test it out, especially in snow and sand.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior