Super Duty Power Wagon competitor

js9234

Observer
You're wrong with your Ford fanboyism as usual.
Front autolocker, 4"BDS, 4.88 gears, 37"Cooper STT tires on Method HD's, Bushwacker extend a fenders, and a roll of white Oracal. $8000-ish. Truck was $38 000. Couldn't even sniff a PW for that. Not that it matters, cause Ohio.

I considered myself, leaning towards more off road, by looking at anything shorter than CCLB. Last truck was SCLB, this one is about the same, but I wanted CCSB. SCSB, is the sweet spot for off road and travel. CC is a luxury.

js9234

Observer
And another blind Ford fanboy that doesn't know what he's talking about. You and your other blind Ford fanboy really aren't very well educated on Ram.
I Imagine the ones that really think the PW is a deal compared to a similarly equipped built rig are paying a shop for the upgrades/changes, or simply comparing to other Dodges.
They nearly give those things away compared to a Super Duty, just to sell them.

As to the practical man buys a factory truck for the reliability and resale.....

Dude.... Chrysler

It might hold its value better than the standard Dodge pickup... but that isn't saying much. :LOL:

You did hit the nail on the head with the very last word you wrote though. Convenience.
Which rings 100% true with my original claim. They are more willing to spend silly money on a factory built rig than build their own.
Primary reason? Convenience. But the underlying motives? To have something different. You know, to impress the next guy.
Its all marketing. The vast majority of PW buyers are interested in the image of them driving a PW. Little more.

That brings us to functionality and how much you actually use the rig, and that resale value.
The guys that build their own more often than not have played this song before, and have built their truck to fit the task.

Factory built truck? Worried about resale? Really?
You are not going to be using it to its capacity if you are worried about resale.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
that article wrecked it's credibility when they wanted the 5.XL Mustang engine in the Super Duty. LOL. That would suck. A roots charger on the 6.2L would be way better.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
The Power Wagon is exceptional value compared to building something similar from the stock truck. The parts alone for lockers, winch, suspension, skid plates, and sway bar disconnect add up to more than the Power Wagon package and that doesn't even include labor for installation, shipping, or taxes. Not to mention it is covered under warranty.

The people who are worried about impressing the next guy spend silly money on a custom built rig. The practical man buys the factory truck and enjoys the greater reliability, resale value, and convenience.

Your statement echoes my thoughts as well. I like that everything is under a factory warranty. I'd like if the PW package were available on all trim levels. Up here it can only be added to a Tradesman. And by the time you do, it's the same price as a regular Power Wagon anyway.

I don't need the fancy graphics or anything but, having the lockers, winch, sway bar disconnect right off the showroom floor is pretty nice. I'm curious to see if Ford does come to market with something, what the package will include and if it can be added to any trim level like an 'FX4' type option.

ttengineer

Adventurer
Might want to check that again.......
As I recall, they quit making them for roughly 25 years. Id call that an interruption :LOL:

I certainly would too.

Damn I could of sworn I heard that somewhere. Meh. Oh well. No big deal. Thanks for the correction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Won't likely be a bargain in any real sense.

I agree. But as I said before... if they can sell them, more power to 'em

We are already to the point of a decked out SuperDuty costing 80k
A unique SD model aimed at stealing PW sales wouldn't be cheap.

But the percentage of the pickup market that PW sales currently occupies is laughable when considering SuperDuty sales.
So if Ford builds one, it may or may not be 100% for profitability for that specific truck, and more for the brand image.

Wouldn't be the first time Ford has produced a special model just to say they did, and to market the hell out of it.

ttengineer

Adventurer
I thought the longest uninterrupted model was the Chevrolet Suburban.

Maybe. But that name has switched brands a few times.

I should be inheriting a 1942 Plymouth 2dr Suburban, full restoration, and been in the family since new.

But I think there were Power Wagons in the 40 as they were originally made for the military if I recall. I’m no historian though.

Grump E-Vet

You're wrong with your Ford fanboyism as usual.

2nd on this ⬆️ PW has had the title since the 1940s going to take a little more than a V6 twin turbo gas engine and aluminum foil body panels to get it done. Get that crap outta here this is Murica! You need a big boy gas V8 (since the OEMs don’t like putting diesels into vehicles designed with a ton of suspension travel!)

Attachments

• A35826E6-21AE-4A94-ACBC-D72602E181B9.jpeg
    A35826E6-21AE-4A94-ACBC-D72602E181B9.jpeg
    115.5 KB · Views: 35

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
2nd on this ⬆️ PW has had the title since the 1940s going to take a little more than a V6 twin turbo gas engine and aluminum foil body panels to get it done. Get that crap outta here this is Murica! You need a big boy gas V8 (since the OEMs don’t like putting diesels into vehicles designed with a ton of suspension travel!)
The PW was NOT produced for a long period of time like he said.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
They stopped production on the PW for over a quarter of a century, not sure if the hiatus qualifies it as the longest uninterrupted production truck in the US prior to that time (35 years), but I am pretty sure that the military versions were only called Power Wagons by the GI's as a nickname since they were actually known as a WC-series trucks.

I certainly did not buy my PW to showoff lol, I bought it because the features it comes with like the lockers, winch, etc. worked well and were backed by a factory warranty. I could have done without the Power Wagon decals and DuraCrap tires, but very few have the decal delete and tires are an easy fix.

I may not be smashing my truck into rocks and forcing it down every single trail I come across but I would say that I use it as intended as often as I possibly can and more so than a large majority of other owners do.

I was and still am a huge Ford fanboy when it comes to HD trucks and it was quite the departure for me to step into owning a Ram, but it has been a surprisingly pleasant experience and I can admit that Ram is gaining on Ford in more ways than one. I think the Ford Highboy project being discussed here is a good competing program for Ford and I think they should move forward with it. I will be sad if it isn't offered with the diesel option as I think that's where the market is missing out, but I think the forced induction Voodoo engine of the Shelby would mis-market this trucks target audience and put it way out of reach of those that would otherwise be the most interested in such a model.

Throw some 35" AT's on it, front and rear lockers, a Warn winch, maybe some lights and offer it with both the big gasser and the diesel and I think they will have a hit. I had no intentions of being back in a new truck anytime soon, but if this comes to fruition sooner rather than later and it doesn't look ridiculous or cost far more than it should, I know my inner demons will have me at the dealership signing papers faster than my other half would prefer lol.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Maybe. But that name has switched brands a few times.

I should be inheriting a 1942 Plymouth 2dr Suburban, full restoration, and been in the family since new.

But I think there were Power Wagons in the 40 as they were originally made for the military if I recall. I’m no historian though.

Oh! Sounds like a nice car! Have any pics?

The Chevrolet Suburban has been around since 1933. I've owned a couple Chevy Suburbans. They were solid trucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior