Super Duty Power Wagon competitor

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
The way everyone goes ''gaga'' over pricey off road packages, it's a no brainer that Ford should have offered this when the '17's were released.

Powerwagon this, Powerwagon that, Powerwagon talk everywhere. When it's just the same olde truck we've been building for years. Ford dropped the ball by waiting this long. It's the perfect halo vehicle for the SD lineup.

It's as simple as adding a front locker, winch bumper and Warn Zeon winch, add 35'' tires on 18" rims, F450-ish fender flares, 4.56 gears with the 6.2L gas engine. Unlike the Dodge, it could be offered with the diesel engine as well. I'd offer the ''highboy kit'' with any truck setup, like the Fx4 is.

Should build a expo ready flatbed version with big springs at the Ohio chassis cab plant.

Last edited:

SoTxAg06

I feel like there was talk of this when the first power wagons came back on the market in 2005. Even vaguely remember seeing a prototype in a magazine then. I would be curious to see if they price them about like raptors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
personally, I don't see the point.

But from a business and market standpoint, I can see it. And Ford really is kicking ass these days, so more power to them.

Far too many people out there worried about little more than impressing the next guy, and more than willing to spend silly money on a factory built rig.

The rest of us seem to enjoy the build as much as the driving, and simply don't care what the other guy thinks.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Bit of a catch 22.

You want payload, or suspension travel?

Not easy, or cheap to have both.

I went the route of a F250 with stock leafs, no overloads, and bags, and am considering cradles.
Seems to be the only way to maintain your ability to haul, while not limiting travel too much.

Still a compromise though...

ttengineer

Adventurer
I feel like there was talk of this when the first power wagons came back on the market in 2005. Even vaguely remember seeing a prototype in a magazine then. I would be curious to see if they price them about like raptors.

“Back” on the market? Isn’t the power wagon the longest running uninterrupted automobile model in history?

I thought it was.

Littlehouse

Adventurer
The Power Wagon is already big. Isn’t a crew cab standard bed f250 significantly larger? That being said, I’d be interested

04Ram2500Hemi

Observer
As a Power Wagon owner I’ve always loved my truck and what it’s capable of in stock form. If Ford enters the market it will create competition for Ram in a segment they’ve owned since the Power Wagon was reintroduced in 2005. Ram is even threatening to compete with the Raptor in the near future with the Rebel TRX. When companies compete, the consumer wins. I’ll be curious to see if Ford actually goes down this road.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer

Ford did show a 250-PW variant around 2006, at the same time the Dodge showed their Cummins 5.9 PW prototype at Moab. Neither made it to market, so don't get too excited yet. Jim Hackett at Ford seems to be concentrating their efforts and investment on what he calls "the city of the future." Lot of micro transit and autonomous stuff, but it would still be easy to tweak a Stupid Duty to compete with the PW.

RF2200

personally, I don't see the point.

But from a business and market standpoint, I can see it. And Ford really is kicking ass these days, so more power to them.

Far too many people out there worried about little more than impressing the next guy, and more than willing to spend silly money on a factory built rig.

The rest of us seem to enjoy the build as much as the driving, and simply don't care what the other guy thinks.

The Power Wagon is exceptional value compared to building something similar from the stock truck. The parts alone for lockers, winch, suspension, skid plates, and sway bar disconnect add up to more than the Power Wagon package and that doesn't even include labor for installation, shipping, or taxes. Not to mention it is covered under warranty.

The people who are worried about impressing the next guy spend silly money on a custom built rig. The practical man buys the factory truck and enjoys the greater reliability, resale value, and convenience.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Front autolocker, 4"BDS, 4.88 gears, 37"Cooper STT tires on Method HD's, Bushwacker extend a fenders, and a roll of white Oracal. $8000-ish. Truck was $38 000. Couldn't even sniff a PW for that. Not that it matters, cause Ohio.

I considered myself, leaning towards more off road, by looking at anything shorter than CCLB. Last truck was SCLB, this one is about the same, but I wanted CCSB. SCSB, is the sweet spot for off road and travel. CC is a luxury.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
I Imagine the ones that really think the PW is a deal compared to a similarly equipped built rig are paying a shop for the upgrades/changes, or simply comparing to other Dodges.
They nearly give those things away compared to a Super Duty, just to sell them.

As to the practical man buys a factory truck for the reliability and resale.....

Dude.... Chrysler

It might hold its value better than the standard Dodge pickup... but that isn't saying much. :LOL:

You did hit the nail on the head with the very last word you wrote though. Convenience.
Which rings 100% true with my original claim. They are more willing to spend silly money on a factory built rig than build their own.
Primary reason? Convenience. But the underlying motives? To have something different. You know, to impress the next guy.
Its all marketing. The vast majority of PW buyers are interested in the image of them driving a PW. Little more.

That brings us to functionality and how much you actually use the rig, and that resale value.
The guys that build their own more often than not have played this song before, and have built their truck to fit the task.

Factory built truck? Worried about resale? Really?
You are not going to be using it to its capacity if you are worried about resale.

Bama67

I hope this happens soon.

I just bought a 2018 CCLB F250 XL STX 4x4 this year, a fairly loaded XL, 360 cameras, productivity screen and such, and got it for $39,000.
hell of alot of truck for that money.
The Ford highboy would have to be able to be bought for under $48k to make any sense at all for me, and I doubt that is going happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne