Superchargers vs Turbo

RunninRubicon

Adventurer
I am curious about opinions out there-2004-2006 4.0L w/auto. Two questions.1.)which way would you go-Turbo or Supercharger
2.)Which company would you go with.
Rational is to improve trailer pulling, hill climbing perfomance down the highway at highway speeds. (kinda rules out dropping gear ratios to less then 4.56)
Kenne Bell that I run in my 03 rubi doesn't build an ECU mapped for 2004-2006
Has anyone experience with either turbos or superchargers for this year group?
Would prefer twin-screw vs. roots vs centrifical.
Many thanks for you ideas/opinions/knowledge

Beowulf

Expedition Leader
I don't have a lot of info on this, but the general opinion for off-roading is the supercharger. That way you don't have any turbo lag due to spooling up.

Hop on over to the rubiconownersforum.com or jeepsunilimited.com. There have been several discussion on the superchargers.

Current offerings:

Kenne Bell
Avenger
Hesco
Adventure-Innovations
505-performance

The last two are in the July issue of JP. They did a full write up on the Adventure-Innovation unit. Two versions: 10psi nets 55-60% gains with intercooler and the standard 5-6psi netting 35-40% no intercooler.

I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones that come to mind.

If you just want to go mild, the Edge trailjammer system seems to be getting good reviews by users on the forums.

teotwaki

Excelsior!
Superchargers (blowers) eat a little horsepower with their belt drive and turbos use "free" energy from the exhaust. Turbos dump a lot more heat into the air so an intercooler is really important. They also should have a water cooling jacket around the main bearings or the oil can burn up after the engine has stopped running (no oil pumped). As mentioned, mid-sized to large turbos can have a significant lag as the engine exhaust must get the turbine spooled up to start pumping air. A direct drive blower has miniscule lag which is what you want in a low engine rpm off roading situation whre you really want smooth horsepower delivery.

RunninRubicon

Adventurer
Thanks Beowolf, I appeciate the feedback. My friend and I have been looking we have been looking for ideas. We have read and reviewed several articles and web-sites (including your suggested readings, thanks) for thoughts and responces that people have been writting about their:Mechanic: experiences. I am looking for these thoughts to add to my own for my friend to make an informed decision about his performance pursuits.

XXXpedition

Explorer
a friend of mine put a supercharger in his xj and pumped up the hp to nearly 300.
i drove that thing a few times and it's like a rocket! he put in an avenger supercharger that has an amazing cooling system (like in nuclear power plants) which keeps the thing cold enough. some blowers have overheating issues...

he never had any problems with his... one adventage of a blower is that you got the hp from low rpm's whereas turbos need a minimum rpm to kick in...

i'd go for the blower.
IMG_4525.jpg

Winky

Adventurer
I would do the turbo first... run the engine till it's beat.. then stroke it and rebuild it to handle more boost... and watch your gas gauge go down when you even look at the accelerator. Nothing excels like excess.
Josh

maximumrob

Adventurer
My old man is currently in Vegas and installed a Kenne Bell supercharger on his '04 Sahara. Says it runs like a champ and was worth every penny.

I just can't bring myself to put speed parts on a 6-speed Rubicon, but my dad now has in the neighborhood of $6,000 in hot rod stuff on his Wrangler. He says it feels like it, too.

Of course, he grew up drag racing in Southern California. He raised me in Kansas playing in the dirt instead.

Steve Curren

Explorer
I would love to put a Kenne Bell Supercharger on my Rubicon, nobody makes one for the '05 and I asked about another brand and I was told in no uncertain terms not to buy it... I have decided on a stroker and some additions to the intake and exhaust along with a larger radiator and a high flow water pump. The builder of the engine said I could realize about 285+ horses.... J E E P

RunninRubicon

Adventurer
Kenne Bell Blowers

After several conversations with folks who run Avenger Superchargers, they report poor custom assitance with "issues."
Kenne Bell is what I run and have it on my 03' Rubicon w/the Magnaflow exhaust system that KB recommended. At the flywheel Mike at KB says this nets 292hp/410ft lbs of torgue. KB also utilizes the same german built Autorotor that AMG-Mercedes uses in their Kompressor models. The real difference is fuel management. KB mandates you send them your ECU to reprogram and they send it back (usually overnight) with much larger fuel injectors (stock 23 lb/hr vs 43 lb) that you install BEFORE they will ship you the blower so you won't burn holes in pistons and such.
Reportedly, using a 1.7L blower (mine uses a 1.3L) no cat running racing fuel these little Jeep in-line 4.0L sixes can produce 412hp with 14 lbs of boost.
The 6 lb boost model I run dynos 244hp at the rear wheel. Stock is 146. It's all on-line at KB's website. If anyone is thinking about installing a blower, call/e-mail me I'd happy to offer more data and info.
One last thing. I found that Safari/ARB snorkels don't carry enough air-flow to satisfy the blowers appetite. Detunes all you tired to improve.
Happy Motoring,
JG:Mechanic:

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
RunninRubicon said:
I am curious about opinions out there-2004-2006 4.0L w/auto. Two questions.1.)which way would you go-Turbo or Supercharger
2.)Which company would you go with.
Rational is to improve trailer pulling, hill climbing perfomance down the highway at highway speeds. (kinda rules out dropping gear ratios to less then 4.56)
Kenne Bell that I run in my 03 rubi doesn't build an ECU mapped for 2004-2006
Has anyone experience with either turbos or superchargers for this year group?
Would prefer twin-screw vs. roots vs centrifical.
Many thanks for you ideas/opinions/knowledge

I have been running a supercharged 4.0 for over 2 years now...it has been problematic and with the vendor & installer unwilling to support the product post sale. Very disappointing. I have needed to do all my own research to make it run halfway right, adding aftermarket programmable MAP sensor and programmable timing and fuel control systems. Costs have exceeded the actual "Kit" by more than 100% when you factor in a custom hood & additional parts & trouble shooting and it still is not perfect.

If I were to do this all over again, I would stroke the engine. PM me if you want more details.

OS-Aussie

Adventurer
I used to have a Kenne Bell on my 03 Rubicon also and didn't have any issues. However when I upsized from 35's I selected a Hemi which kicks much more than the blown 4.0 ever did. If I was to look at this again I think I would try and get the 3.0 diesel conversion rather than a gas engine. I am aware of 2.8s in the TJ and they have been doing the 3.0 in the JK. The European JK has the 2.8. If you have driven the new 3.0 diesel in the Jeep I think you would like it.

Bang for buck the stroker is hard to beat.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior