Superwinch X9 Trouble Shooting

discodisco

Observer
Our recent acquisition of a 1973 Land Rover 109 came with a Superwinch X9 that we decided to switch to our 2001 Land Rover Discovery II. First problem is that I don't have any experience with winches. Second problem is when I hooked everything up and put the remote in and try to run the winch with the car running and the it just makes a clicking noise. I made sure the clutch was on engage and all the wires are connected. The clicking noise seemed to come from the external box that I connected the remote to. Any advice would be appreciated.

bjowett

Adventurer
The motor is probably bad... burned up, or rusted. A good upgrade for the X-9 is the winch motor from a Superwinch Husky.

Sirocco

Explorer
The motor is probably bad... burned up, or rusted. A good upgrade for the X-9 is the winch motor from a Superwinch Husky.

Cant say I agree with this. If its coming from the remote box it will be the solenoid connections not connecting which is pretty common.

To prove the motor works you need to run a simple test best described here: http://www.jeepersden.com/PDF/Winch Motor Test Procedure (2).pdf

ok, it is for warn, but your X9 should have a main power lead then 2 more connected to the solonoid box, 1 is to power spool in and other powers spool out. pretty straight forward.

If it spins in both directions freely it will be your solonoid contacts. worth a strip and clean or better still replaced with a sealed Albright unit.

*it may also be worth giving the solonoids a tap with a hammer, this often works for me!

let us know how you get on.

G

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
Yup, most likely a solenoid. I also chased my tail last time this happened to me. Thought it was a solenoid like usual, but it turned out to be the switch. The switch rung out OK but just wasn't letting enough current through to latch the solenoids. Will it operate in one direction but not the other or just won't work at all? Recheck all your connections too...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94