Sure-Fire Ways to Improve Your Roof Top Tent

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
A few posts back someone mentioned putting pads between where the ladder and floor rub together while the tent is folded. I bought a nice "Welcome" mat and simply put it between the ladder and the floor. It does a great job of keeping the ladder from rubbing on the floor. In addition, it does a great job of getting dirt off your feet before you climb up into the tent.
I've been using a pancho liner for my welcome mat. I recommend getting one if you do not have one. Nothing sticks to them. They are tough to find under $30 now. Plus they spread out to @ '4x'8. I did notice my ladder is leaving some wear marks though. Maybe I will go back to that woven rug.

I finally got a few shots of my RTT mods. I changed out all the strapping on my Tepui. I went with new 2" webbing and all new heavy duty buckles. I also swapped out the dismal little .063 aluminum strap anchors with 1/8" stainless anchors. I also took a 1/2 wrap around the anchors and added a 3rd screw (up'd to #10 stainless). Have a look:

tent mods1.jpg
I also added a 3rd strap (in the middle of the long side):
Tent mods.jpg

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
I finally got a few shots of my RTT mods. I changed out all the strapping on my Tepui. I went with new 2" webbing and all new heavy duty buckles. I also swapped out the dismal little .063 aluminum strap anchors with 1/8" stainless anchors. I also took a 1/2 wrap around the anchors and added a 3rd screw (up'd to #10 stainless). Have a look:

View attachment 417528
I also added a 3rd strap (in the middle of the long side):
View attachment 417529
I put new Velcro (better grade too) on my lashing straps on my Mombasa. Its 8 years old now. I put a set of different cover straps on it I made years ago. Those buckles work much better than fighting those D-rings. straps.jpg

I have a Autohome tent and it use to use bungees which totally sucked. I took my top to a friend and he installed a sleeve all the way around with the corners opened about 8" so you can pull the rope tight on the corners so you can cinch it down with a ratchet strap works awesome!

I went to look at our local Sail store for good back pack straps as suggested in some of the posts here to replace my aging Velcro straps. They've done good for 9 years, but they have it rough, especially adding extra bedding and the memory foam and such. Worried about the stress on the cover. The weather was beautiful this weekend, and decided to tackle this since I'll be needing to use the RTT in a few weeks. Sadly, Sail had really nothing for good straps, but I decided to walk around for ideas, and I found these quick release dog collars. I personally think I'll like these much better!

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
I went to look at our local Sail store for good back pack straps as suggested in some of the posts here to replace my aging Velcro straps. They've done good for 9 years, but they have it rough, especially adding extra bedding and the memory foam and such. Worried about the stress on the cover. The weather was beautiful this weekend, and decided to tackle this since I'll be needing to use the RTT in a few weeks. Sadly, Sail had really nothing for good straps, but I decided to walk around for ideas, and I found these quick release dog collars. I personally think I'll like these much better!

I had my buddy put new Velcro on my side cinch straps at his canvas shop. I peeled the old stuff off for him. $5 and they work great now. They were 8 years old.

Are those ruffwear? I'm in the market for something to replace my straps and the metal buckle looks like it may do the trick.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I had my buddy put new Velcro on my side cinch straps at his canvas shop. I peeled the old stuff off for him. $5 and they work great now. They were 8 years old.
Part of the issue was indeed the Velcro of course, but the other is where the straps are sewed into the tent. Sewed straps aren't the strongest thing, and over time, you can see here:
https://i.imgur.com/bTtbD2L.jpg
Is that they're pulling out of the tent where they're sewed into. Even if I replaced the Velcro, I'd tear those out completely, and maybe cause a hole in the tent. I don't want that. They'd probably be ok for regular use or an empty tent, but with the memory foam, pillows and blankets we like to keep in there, they're putting more stress on those straps then normal.

Ruffwear Top Rope Collar
Thank you! Indeed they are. I got a large and a medium. I cut the large, the medium is just the right length

Sorry, I must of been typing my reply while you (dmwiteman) posted, and I didn't see it, thinking it was Rattlers's post still. Even then I had to look twice, I though someone double-posted.

So many good ideas here. Unfortunately many of the links are dead due to age of the posts. I'm still waiting for my GordiGear Explorer Plus and Annex to get here before I can start improving things. I was assured it'd be here by mid-October in time for my trip to Big Bend but I'm starting to worry that might not be the case.