Sure-Fire Ways to Improve Your Roof Top Tent

I put these clamps on my bed rack to attach my tent. They keep the hardware up and out of the way and have a great fit to the rack tubing. Many sizes available with reasonable cost.
https://www.mcmaster.com/#11355t34/=1an0w53

View attachment 428104

This is brilliant. My rack is SUPER tight to my roof, so having the hardware higher up like this will really make it easy to install. I currently have my rack and tent off to transfer to my current project when it is done so great timing on finding this tip, thanks!!

They also make square clamps minus the rubber cushion, but you could cut up a old bicycle inter tube to make it work so it would have something for it to bite to.

Rattler

Thornton Melon's Kid
As a few have done I replaced my Velcro cinch straps on my Tepui Tent. Only 1 year old and would not hold anymore. I simply cut the Sea to summit straps to length, melted the cuts to prevent fraying. Then I folded the strap over and burnt a screw hole through both sides with a hot wood screw that I heated with a torch. Finally screwed it back in like the factory setup and was done. Took me 20 minutes total and is a much better setup now.
Thse are pretty neat. My cinch straps on my Mombasas started slipping a lot a couple years ago. Last summer I just put some new Velcro on it. But that is the benefit of knowing an upholster. I picked up an industrial sewing machine last year but I haven't gotten it sorted out yet. They work great once again.

Thse are pretty neat. My cinch straps on my Mombasas started slipping a lot a couple years ago. Last summer I just put some new Velcro on it. But that is the benefit of knowing an upholster. I picked up an industrial sewing machine last year but I haven't gotten it sorted out yet. They work great once again.
Ya that could work too. After mine failing in such a short time I wanted something different. Also at $15 cnd hard to go wrong

This is brilliant. My rack is SUPER tight to my roof, so having the hardware higher up like this will really make it easy to install. I currently have my rack and tent off to transfer to my current project when it is done so great timing on finding this tip, thanks!!
Glad it helped someone.

If I could get a few more rtt rail inserts I would install the remaining 2 clamps I have sitting on the workbench. Anyone have some they're not using?

If the bolts can rub your cover, you should flip the hardware or add the acorn covers.

I added the same type of fitting a few years back and have not had any issues with rubbing. Those things make great anchor points for windy days and also a handy place to hang things to dry, lanterns or whatever needs a secure place to hook on to.

I had my trailer on the White Rim trail and there were some crazy high winds. Because I was parked on a rocky shelf and couldn't drive stakes in I ended up filling a 5 gallon bucket with rocks and hanging it from the D-loop.

In this picture you can see how the RTT is being whacked by the air pressure. The silver 5 Gallon bucket is almost touching the ground to the right of the ladder.

Exploring with the Expedition Trailer in South East Utah
http://suntothenorth.blogspot.com/2014/05/exploring-with-expedition-trailer-in.html

Just purchased our first RTT (Tepui Autana 3). Stoked to pick it up. Some great ideas in this thread. Question: Should I just go ahead and get the anti-condensation mat? We've got a big trip planned soon, and I want my wife to be glad she let me pull the trigger on this...