Vanilla Gorilla: 2017 Power Wagon build

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
What kind of MPG's are you getting at the moment with the 37's? Have you done any tuning/CPU adjustments to the computer with a ProCal or something similar?

did a pro cal and GPS verified to speedo. averaging 15 on the highway and 12 city

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I need to get a procal then! I am getting 12ish around town as well. Seeing 14.4 on the highway, high winds on the coast don't help either.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
updates! chronologically!

White Knuckle HD .188 sliders showed up!

Untitled by Will Marshal, on Flickr

holy balls are these heavy. the pallet showed up weighing in at 350LBS. they were fantastically wrapped in thick foam, shrink wrap, moving blanket and finally cardboard. They really outdid themselves with shipping

second, i finally picked up some black lug nuts. I was facing an issue with my stock lug nuts that are chrome capped, that they were being dented by the impact. They also look like ass. SO I ordered McGard made in USA forged lug nuts. these are black chromed throughout and are guaranteed for life to never chip or rust

she so pretty

Yesterday, my air compressor setup arrived. I was originally going to go with your standard fare of an ARB dual compressor and call it good. I was reminded about how much air is in these 37's (35 gallons at street pressure) and how unbearably long it takes to air up these size tires, especially if i drop low enough in pressure to utilize the ability of the beadlocks. So I reached out to Extreme Aire in California and spoke with George Carousos and decided to get their new Endura compressors.

The new Extreme Aire Endura compressors are made in the US and are commercial spec. Fully sealed and waterproof, and 100% duty cycle. Each compressor can do 6CFM at 0 PSI, 2CFM at 100PSI and a max ceiling of 200PSI. So, to maximize the ability of the system, i went with two compressors and a 4 gallon tank that im going to mount in the former spare tire location. This setup will let me air my tires up quickly, run air tools without issue and supply enough air to run an air gun to blow of dust with ease.

Finally,

This evening i got the white knuckle sliders on. WHAT A PAIN IN THE ASS. the sliders are beautifully made, and with the help of a friend they weren't difficult to get into place. The passenger side went on easy as could be. 20 minutes and it was finished. the driver side though, because of fuel and brake lines running the length of the frame rail and the fuel tank, made for a considerably bigger pain in the ass. the drivers side took nearly two hours to accomplish because of the difficulty in securing the plates due to tight spaces. a post lift would have made this considerably easier.

all said and done though, they're beautiful and i love them. i can't wait to put them to use

i'll get some better day shots tomorrow!

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Love the sliders, they look great, but I am not excited about the install though, sounds miserable. We just finished up putting on a set of Hefty Fab sliders on my buddies Trail 4Runner tonight, they were a breeze in comparison. So what's next beyond the front bumper when it arrives?

I'll be interested to see how well that compressor system holds up, the CFM's are nicer than Viair and ARB, but I can't help but think that they will still get hot after three or so tires and will take at least 3-5 minutes per tire to fill not including cool down time for the compressors. You'll definitely have to do a test for us once it's installed, take one of your 37's from 20psi back up to 45psi and see how long it takes.

After thinking log and hard about the options for on board air out there I have decided to go back to the tried and true Power Tank. Less than a minute to fill a 37" tire back to standard operating pressures, portability, won't overheat, plenty of power for tools, and no draw on my electrical and battery systems. I'll likely buy a 15lb kit and store it in a bracket on my bed slide under the hard deck.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
Love the sliders, they look great, but I am not excited about the install though, sounds miserable. We just finished up putting on a set of Hefty Fab sliders on my buddies Trail 4Runner tonight, they were a breeze in comparison. So what's next beyond the front bumper when it arrives?

I'll be interested to see how well that compressor system holds up, the CFM's are nicer than Viair and ARB, but I can't help but think that they will still get hot after three or so tires and will take at least 3-5 minutes per tire to fill not including cool down time for the compressors. You'll definitely have to do a test for us once it's installed, take one of your 37's from 20psi back up to 45psi and see how long it takes.

After thinking log and hard about the options for on board air out there I have decided to go back to the tried and true Power Tank. Less than a minute to fill a 37" tire back to standard operating pressures, portability, won't overheat, plenty of power for tools, and no draw on my electrical and battery systems. I'll likely buy a 15lb kit and store it in a bracket on my bed slide under the hard deck.

they are 100% duty load compressors for commercial application, they're designed to run 24/7. I built my own power tank for my Jeep out of a 20# cylinder and power tank components. I liked c02, but i hate that i have to get it filled and aluminum cylinders require hydro-static retest every 5 years.

I put CBI sliders on my 4Runner and thanks to all the captured nuts on the slab side of the frame. I had KDSS on my 4Runner though which posed an interesting complication when fitting the sliders on the driver side.

The driver side on this is just a total **********. The rear mount is obscured by the fuel tank and the front mount is impossibly difficult to work around.

Very cool, your gonna love the sliders. Where did you order your lug nuts from?

amazon!

Tex68w

Beach Bum
they are 100% duty load compressors for commercial application, they're designed to run 24/7. I built my own power tank for my Jeep out of a 20# cylinder and power tank components. I liked c02, but i hate that i have to get it filled and aluminum cylinders require hydro-static retest every 5 years.

I put CBI sliders on my 4Runner and thanks to all the captured nuts on the slab side of the frame. I had KDSS on my 4Runner though which posed an interesting complication when fitting the sliders on the driver side.

The driver side on this is just a total **********. The rear mount is obscured by the fuel tank and the front mount is impossibly difficult to work around.

Yea his Trail has KDSS as well. All we had to do is remove a couple of frame plugs, remove one gas tank skid bolt (replaced by new hardware for the center support) and unbolt two KDSS bolts that hold the lines to the frame. We pried the lines out 1/4" for the two rear frame supports to slide under/behind and then bolted it all up. Wasn't the most straight forward, but by no means was it difficult. The passenger side was a breeze, just slap it on there.

I'll admit that all of these reports of these White Knuckle sliders being a PITA to install has caused me to hold off for the time being, but I know eventually they have to go on so it's only a matter of time before I get to struggle with them as well lol.

The CO2 does suck to refill, but I don't recall ever having to get mine refilled more than once or twice in a year. We have welding supply places on every other corner down here in oil field land so it won't be an issue. I used to dive a lot as well so a $40 hydrostatic tank test every five years is a drop in the bucket. I like the portability of the system as well, I recall taking it to the ranch and into the back yard a few times to use air tools where I didn't want to or couldn't take a compressor.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
The CO2 does suck to refill, but I don't recall ever having to get mine refilled more than once or twice in a year. We have welding supply places on every other corner down here in oil field land so it won't be an issue. I used to dive a lot as well so a $40 hydrostatic tank test every five years is a drop in the bucket. I like the portability of the system as well, I recall taking it to the ranch and into the back yard a few times to use air tools where I didn't want to or couldn't take a compressor.

all valid points. I just see myself in scenarios where there will be frequent air downs and air ups on trips and im not confident that a c02 tank has enough capacity to handle much 10PSI to 40PSI refills on 4 tires.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Their chart shows for a 15lb tank a total of 13 tire refills at a 30psi increase for 37's. That's three total refills from 10psi to 40 psi for all four tires at 1 minute per tire. Not a ton of full refills, but not too shabby either.

This might not work for yourself, but it is more than adequate for my needs. I don't plan on airing down more than 20 psi (20-25 psi to 40-45 psi) for most trips unless we are hitting some serious, slow rock crawling, which I don't forsee in our "overland" travel very often. If I am only using a 20 psi increase that same 15lb tank will then cover 20 tire refills per tank for 37's.

I am excited to see how your setup performs, it might just be the solution some of us with similar builds/needs as yourself are looking for.

Oilbrnr

The DS WK slider is indeed a PITA. I have a two post lift and used my transmission jack to hold the sucker in place as I battled all the ******** that runs down that DS frame rail. It was still a **********.

For those that can't quite swallow the price tag of that ExtremeAire stuff, take a look at the PUMA PD1006. 3/4hp, continuous duty compressor with tank. Have had one in my 80 series for years, and now in the PW. Great pump for the price.

Good looking PW.

Oilbrnr

Welp, ordered the E-One dual swing-out today at lunch. I had been vacillating on which vendor to go with, but after seeing your pics, sold me. Unclear on what their NATO/Scepter mount system looks like, Roger is supposed to email me some images. Worst case I'll rob the Slee tray of my Lexus as I think it will be easy to bolt up. Have you done the camera re-lo yet?

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
Welp, ordered the E-One dual swing-out today at lunch. I had been vacillating on which vendor to go with, but after seeing your pics, sold me. Unclear on what their NATO/Scepter mount system looks like, Roger is supposed to email me some images. Worst case I'll rob the Slee tray of my Lexus as I think it will be easy to bolt up. Have you done the camera re-lo yet?

glad to hear! you will really like it. I haven't done it yet as ive been so damn busy. hoping to work on it a bit on saturday if the rain subsides. i need to pull the lead to the camera and figure out what i should do for extending the lead. Im hoping its a RCA jack and i can just run an extension - i really didn't want to cut up the harness but i fit comes to that i can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier