Vanilla Gorilla: 2017 Power Wagon build

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Well this is good news! I would definitely opt out on the D-ring option, run a shackle receiver mount and forget about.

I would make the necessary changes to your unit and put it back on.

chet6.7

Explorer
I just got off of the phone with E1,apprently they have made a number of changes,as has been noted. I asked to have the D ring brackets deleted, E1 is going to get back to me on the bracket delete. The bumper has been cut and bent,it was four weeks out,hopefully this change doesn't impact the delivery date.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
so this is my first summer with this truck, and i can say im really happy with the AC system on it, which is a rarity anymore, especially with having a solid black interior. The ceramic tint windows im sure have made a big difference along with the white paint, but it cools hot blacktop parking lot air down to the desired temp in just a few minutes

Untitled by Will Marshal, on Flickr

My friends at Hondo garage were gracious enough to send me their new Perfect Squeeze phone mount to replace ************ iOttie magnetic mount. This thing is really cool and i cant wait to get it on before my upcoming trip

on July 13th I'm setting out on a road trip to Bozeman MT to pick up the first Go Fast Campers XL roof top tent to go on my Leitner rack, which im really excited about. its also the first road trip ive taken with my dad and we're going to go out with the GFC crew into the mountains around Bozeman, and then slip down into Yellowstone for a bit on our way home. Really pumped for this and is the first big trip in the PW.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
I've had a couple people ask me about how the BD bracket looks with LED pods in it. I think the photos that have been posted have had the actual light brackets reversed, so that the lights are pushed further forward by about 3/4 of an inch. I ran mine in a normal orientation, so that the lights are inside the bumper, but on the edge. heres how i have mine set up. I have my Amber driving pros on the outside, and a set of works on the inside temporarily, these were previously on my rear bumper.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
If I can find time to get in the garage and install mine I think I will run them inside like you have done, it looks much better that way!

Kingsize24

Looks great Marshal. I'm waiting on my first set of BD lights to come in for my rear bumper. XL-Pro's. I've always used IPF so this will be new, for me anyway. I'm thinking that the way yours is mounted looks different for sure from what I have seen. It will for sure keep them tucked in and away from objects, so that is good.

Be sure to post up the RTT pics and camping pics!

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
I just got off of the phone with E1,apprently they have made a number of changes,as has been noted. I asked to have the D ring brackets deleted, E1 is going to get back to me on the bracket delete. The bumper has been cut and bent,it was four weeks out,hopefully this change doesn't impact the delivery date.

thats great to hear. As i said before, the build quality is really great on the bumper and i would recommend it to anyone now that E1 says they have fixed those complaints. Looking forward to seeing yours on

Looks great Marshal. I'm waiting on my first set of BD lights to come in for my rear bumper. XL-Pro's. I've always used IPF so this will be new, for me anyway. I'm thinking that the way yours is mounted looks different for sure from what I have seen. It will for sure keep them tucked in and away from objects, so that is good.

Be sure to post up the RTT pics and camping pics!

I really love the BD stuff, they are top notch and their use of a 5000K emitter really makes a huge difference when it comes to both white and amber lighting options. My XL80's have a higher output than the pro's, but the pros have a considerably more refined reflector. I elected for the XL80 with a driving pattern up high because its a relatively slow truck and i wanted to absolutely flood the area with light.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
some updates!

I ordered some BD stuff, a set of squadron sport driving, and a single SR2 Sport. I had temporarily mounted my Work pattern Squadron Sport's in the front fog pockets as a place holder while these driving patterns came in, but everything is here now.

First off, I wanted to invert the lenses on both the Squadron Pro and Sport's in my fog pockets since the lights are mounted upside down. i wanted the spot on top and the wide on the bottom how its supposed to be. BD makes this really easy by removing the bezel and just flipping the lens around. If you want to change colors of the lights or replace a damaged lens, its this easy to do.

IMG_5075 by Will Marshal, on Flickr

IMG_5076 by Will Marshal, on Flickr

then i mounted the work's on what would be the E pillar of the Leitner Rack, as well as my SR2 work light that i have aimed at the tailgate for anything prep

IMG_5082 by Will Marshal, on Flickr

I custom made a harness for the lights, which i had a blast doing. Wiring is by far my favorite part of any build process. I got the wire sheath and wire from McMaster Carr. 18 gauge automotive here

these lights are wired on two separate switches. Backup and Work

IMG_5078 by Will Marshal, on Flickr

heres how the sPOD looks with the new vertical legends and both the backup and work switches enabled

IMG_5081 by Will Marshal, on Flickr

IMG_5079 by Will Marshal, on Flickr

really pleased with the SR2 Sport in Work pattern for the tailgate

IMG_5083 by Will Marshal, on Flickr

Kingsize24

Looks great! You did a good job on placement there. I've been looking at those same ones for lights around, and in the topper once it comes in. Looks like plenty of light IMO.

How have your A-Piller light brackets held up with the heavy XL80's on there? I should get mine in from SDHQ Monday, was thinking of thowing my XL Pro's up there and use the squadrons coming in for backup instead. No shaking or bouncing around of the light?

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
Looks great! You did a good job on placement there. I've been looking at those same ones for lights around, and in the topper once it comes in. Looks like plenty of light IMO.

How have your A-Piller light brackets held up with the heavy XL80's on there? I should get mine in from SDHQ Monday, was thinking of thowing my XL Pro's up there and use the squadrons coming in for backup instead. No shaking or bouncing around of the light?

They’re great. No movement at all

Tex68w

Beach Bum

The brackets are rated for up to 4.5" lights, but I'd be willing to bet that they would handle even larger lights without vibration. These brackets are stout! If I can ever find some free time to get around to installing mine I might experiment with even larger lights than the XL80's, but those are what is sitting in the box waiting to go on for now.

Kingsize24

I saw that they revised the design, so I was sure it was most likely going to be OK, but absolutely despise light vibration when in use. I thank you both for answering. These XL Pros are MUCH heavier than any halogen light I've ever used, and even the squadron pro's light output is insane. I can only imagine y'alls 80's. The color is much better too. I've enjoyed playing with them some at night.

The brackets are rated for up to 4.5" lights, but I'd be willing to bet that they would handle even larger lights without vibration. These brackets are stout! If I can ever find some free time to get around to installing mine I might experiment with even larger lights than the XL80's, but those are what is sitting in the box waiting to go on for now.

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
I saw that they revised the design, so I was sure it was most likely going to be OK, but absolutely despise light vibration when in use. I thank you both for answering. These XL Pros are MUCH heavier than any halogen light I've ever used, and even the squadron pro's light output is insane. I can only imagine y'alls 80's. The color is much better too. I've enjoyed playing with them some at night.

mine have amber lenses on them, so 2700K or so. But normally the LED chips output 5000K light, which is exactly white.

Kingsize24

mine have amber lenses on them, so 2700K or so. But normally the LED chips output 5000K light, which is exactly white.

Yea, you can tell instantly. The halogens, while nice and bright, are no where near the output, and probably 4300k or so. Much more yellow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles