Suspension Inquiries

erod

Adventurer
Hey all! been a while, looks like i have plenty to catch up on! Good thing i have a six pack to keep me company!

Anyway, the time has come to change out the suspension on my 02' Taco. currently i have 2.5" Fabtech coilovers up front and Fabtech shocks in back w OME leafs. The shocks and coilovers are leaking quite a bit. My short story long question is, should i rebuild the Fabtech's or buy new? I have never been that impressed with their performance over the years and have been looking into some other options, mostly sway-a-ways...

My research is just getting started but I thought what better place to start then the expo...

Any input you guys have is greatly appreciated...I realize I am opening a can of worms here but just wanted to get some opinions...obviously money is tight these days and the rig had 110,000 miles on it so I am basically looking increase on road performance (i.e. steering and stability), maintain ride height all while maintaining a capable off road vehicle.

Well, there is is...i hope everyone out there is well and its good to be back. I look forward to more involvement in the expo and learning of everyones past and present adventures and rigs...Cheers!

Tim A

Adventurer
I hear very good things about the Old Man Emu 3" lift. Decent price too.

Also there are the Bilstein 5100 shocks. The fronts have an adjustable spring seat to *somewhat* dial in your ride height. These are even more reasonably priced.

I have coilovers (Toytec) since I wanted to have complete control over ride height...but if I had to do it all over again I'd probably get the OME kit to save some cash.

TEJASYOTA

Adventurer
I have the HOEs w/ TC UCAs & ALCAN-8s.
Here is my build thread... with all the questions that I asked myself and researched.

TejasYOTA's suspension build - click here.

But if you want the best for the buck, I would pick OME.
Of course you will have to determine which version to order.
Soft - Medium - Firm
Good luck!

NothingClever

Explorer
I noticed more of a difference when I went to E-rated tires than when I switched to the ToyTec Ultimate Tacoma kit which includes 5100s all around.

So I concur with others, I'd go with the regular ol' OME kit to save some dosh if I were to do it all over again.

(Same truck with the same airbags and here in another week or two, same camper (Fleet model).

Last edited:

erod

Adventurer
cool you guys, thanks so much for the input, i will surely update this thread once any decisions are made and the install begins. cheers!

Tucson T4R

Expedition Leader
I've been running the OME 3" suspension on my 4Runner for around 4-5 years now. It still feels as good as new and works great.

erod

Adventurer
Does anyone have any pics of an 02' or similar Taco with the OME suspension lift installed front and back? it appears im gonna lose .75 inches of ride height from the front with the OME vs. the Fabtech and i want to avoid the "raking" appearance if possible...

Box Rocket

Does anyone have any pics of an 02' or similar Taco with the OME suspension lift installed front and back? it appears im gonna lose .75 inches of ride height from the front with the OME vs. the Fabtech and i want to avoid the "raking" appearance if possible...

Picture taken yesterday. Specs are OME 882s in front with 10mm trim packer and Dakar rears with the new Sport Nitrocharger shocks.

32" tires

I actually sit about .5" low in the back with this setup. I'm planning on adding a little longer shackle (I don't mind a small amount of rake). Spring rate is where I like it so no AAL and I don't want it to sit too low when loaded.

_MG_7774.jpg

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Sponsor: Cruiser Outfitters

04' DC. 882/Sport front with 20mm of spacers. CS046R's & AAL in back. As pictured it has ~200 lbs over stock on the front and ~500 lbs over stock at that rear including the bike and gear as loaded for a recent trip.

Attachments

• Delta_May_2010 001 (Medium).jpg
    Delta_May_2010 001 (Medium).jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 30

Wiley

Adventurer
When you guys are saying the EMOs are the best bang for buck, roughly how much does it cost to go from stock to those including installation? I don't know what is needed otherwise I would just google it. I realize this will vary greatly, but I just want to figure out if I will consider this for the future. Thanks

Last edited:

Tim A

Adventurer
When you guys are saying the EMOs are the best bang for buck, roughly how much does it cost to go from stock to those including installation? I don't know what is needed otherwise I would just google it. I realize this will vary greatly, but I just want to figure out if I will consider this for the future. Thanks

To my knowledge, you can get the basic OME kit for about $700, which includes a leaf spring rear lift that you shove between your stock leaf springs to lift the rear.

For $400 more, you can add the Dakar rear leaf pack, which replaces all of your stock leaf springs.

I'm not sure about installation costs but it's an easy DIY to some.

Wiley

Adventurer
To my knowledge, you can get the basic OME kit for about $700, which includes a leaf spring rear lift that you shove between your stock leaf springs to lift the rear.

For $400 more, you can add the Dakar rear leaf pack, which replaces all of your stock leaf springs.

I'm not sure about installation costs but it's an easy DIY to some.

Thanks, that is exactly what I was asking, I would feel much more comfortable with replacing everything at once for a bit more, but searching google brought up many individual parts, and I did not know what I would need to do that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles