suspension question

AKcrawl

hello everyone, i recently installed a rubicon express 2.5 coil kit with bilstien 5100's this weekend and it went great. my only issue however is when i purchased the kit i did so with the impression it would raise up the front end thus leveling out my jeep. much to my dismay after completing it i seem to have a bit of forward rake, rear clearance sits around 23" front around 21" i have 2" jk coil spacers in my garage and i guess my big question to all out there is does anyone see me running into issues installing the 2" spacers in the front to level it out?

AKcrawl

Stock bumpers front and rear? Winch? Anything else that may affect weight distribution from front to rear?

definitely man my fabbed steel channel bumper and a winch so that could be the weight right there, the only thing that puzzled me was that i had a 2" spacer kit with stock coils and zone shocks before and that same bumper/winch combo didnt cause that much rake. i guess softer rubicon express springs maybe? what do you think about me adding those spacers up front? im just thinking about how much uptravel ill have left in the bilsteins.

wreckedxj

If you put new leafs in the rear give them time to settle in. you'll be surprised at how much the rear will settle.

Id say mine dropped a good 1-2 inches.

1stDeuce

Explorer
My experience with coils is that they don't settle much. An manufacturer worth their weight in poop will "scragg" the coils when they're built to ensure that they don't settle... If you tightened any control arm bushings at full droop, that'll cause it to sit a little high, and they will settle out when they fail, which doesn't take long. If you're running a heavy bumper and winch, that'll cause the front to ride low. I think RE runs really low rates to get flex, but the downside is crappy ride frequencies. Stiff shock will help mask that, but you'll still get more sag with a lot of aftermarket than with the already too-soft stock JK coils... No harm in running a spacer, though I would "level" it, I'd leave some rake in there for when you load up to actually go someplace... About 1" of rake would be pretty good, but flat level just ends up looking nose high usually.
Good luck!
Chris

AKcrawl

My experience with coils is that they don't settle much. An manufacturer worth their weight in poop will "scragg" the coils when they're built to ensure that they don't settle... If you tightened any control arm bushings at full droop, that'll cause it to sit a little high, and they will settle out when they fail, which doesn't take long. If you're running a heavy bumper and winch, that'll cause the front to ride low. I think RE runs really low rates to get flex, but the downside is crappy ride frequencies. Stiff shock will help mask that, but you'll still get more sag with a lot of aftermarket than with the already too-soft stock JK coils... No harm in running a spacer, though I would "level" it, I'd leave some rake in there for when you load up to actually go someplace... About 1" of rake would be pretty good, but flat level just ends up looking nose high usually.
Good luck!
Chris

soooo......upon sitting at home last night with my brain finally turned on i realized not only does my winch and bumper make front weight but ive been running without my spare on the back for months now aaannd sure enough there was the weight difference.. i cant believe i spaced on that this whole time.

thanks for the solid insight though! they definitely are nice coils for flexing and with the bilsteins i installed. it actually rides great i have been very happy with it so far :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior