Swapping out hitch mounts for more articulation, good idea?

RacerAV

Have an IntechRV Explore, love it. But i was hoping to maybe swap out the bolt on hitch, a tradition 2" ball mount for something with more articulation for rougher terrain. It'll probably be overkill but also it's a security thing in my mind! They can't steal it if they can't tow it away! lol What are the common options?

sabjku

Observer
RacerAV, I just went from a standard ball hitch to the Lock-n-Roll. Absolutely love it.

The amount of articulation definitely makes me more comfortable, even if it’s a situation where the ball probably would have sufficed-at least I don’t worry now. Worth it from that perspective alone.

Another nice thing is it’s extremely easy to hook up. I find it even easier than a ball.

And then another bonus is less of a chance for theft. Nobody is going to be able to hook up my trailer unless they’re running the same setup, so highly unlikely. Makes me feel even more comfortable when it’s parked in my driveway and I’m gone for days or when I’m out away from my base camp.

Highly recommend!

sabjku

Observer
I also forgot to mention that backing up and maneuvering in general, just as easy with a ball. I was thinking that backing up may have been more challenging because of the additional moving parts, but nope.

High Country Nomad

Mountain Explorer
Good subject. I've been thinking of making this happen between my tow rig (Toyota) and our Fleetwood Evolution Popup camper. She weighs 3500 lbs loaded and is 16' long. Would this be to heavy to switch from hitch ball to a coupler set up?

Mundo4x4Casa

West slope, N. Ser. Nev.
A pintel and lunette is my choice. Works for me on several vehicles, and I have put them through their paces. For my jeeps, i use an 8 ton lunette and a 16 ton pintel. Neanderthal tech, cheapest, combat tested, noisy and clanky, will not let your trailer turn over with no swivel; will not break.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Pintels rule. When I had my jeep, it had a nice rear bumper with a 2" receiver inside it. So no hitch hanging under the jeep. I have no idea if it was any good, I never used it.

That being said, don't think about any kind of anti theft, even if you unbolt the ring and run off with it. Or even if you lock a 2" ball cup.

I can just use my longest shank pintel and wrap your safety chains around it tight, then put a bolt through the chains. I towed a trailer 100miles to devils garden like that. It'll bang around a bit, but won't hit the truck if it's tight enough. (desperate times call for desperate measures) It only takes 30 seconds to haul off a trailer like this.

Even those stupid wheel boots won't stop me. Usually the lock on them can be knocked of with a tire iron or pipe wrench. The ones with the internal lock simply fall off if you tow them into a curb or pothole. (hopefully before the boot eats the fender) One trailer had particularly expensive looking fenders and was brand new, so I didn't want to damage them. So I ran 200' of extension cord to a grocery stores outlet, and cut the entire boot off the the trailers wheel, with a Dewalt grinder, right in front of a dozen people and a police car eating lunch. Nobody said a thing. A guy in uniform can do anything.

I get permission to "steal" my customers trailers and move them to where they're needed. It's cheaper to cut a lock or boot off, than to send one of their guys 200 miles out of his way to unlock it.

Last edited:

RacerAV

guessing youre some sort of repo guy?

pintles are cool and strong and remind me of my army days but they are clunky, and easy to steal! exactly...

I am leaning toward the max coupler, but man it isn't cheap! also, I want to have a different drop hitch set up on the jeep. not a fan of the one they sell. it'd be nice to bolt the receiver part to my regular hitch. I don't need to adjust the height, would rather just have two hitches, one for each vehicle at it's height. but then the swivel part of their receiver looks specific to their design...

CO 4runner

Have an IntechRV Explore, love it. But i was hoping to maybe swap out the bolt on hitch, a tradition 2" ball mount for something with more articulation for rougher terrain. It'll probably be overkill but also it's a security thing in my mind! They can't steal it if they can't tow it away! lol What are the common options?
Hi RacerAV - Its been a while since you're post but I'm thinking of doing the same thing on an Intech OVR - what did you end up doing? Did it void Intact warranty?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste