Swing-away rear bumper WITHOUT a tire mount?

4x4v8

Observer
IMG_0406.jpg

Sorry for the off-topic but how did you mount those lights? They look like they work well as floods. I'm looking for something similar when I'm hooking and unhooking my trailer.

thecriscokid

Explorer
They are dust/waterproof sticky backed units from http://www.oznium.com/thin-waterproof-ribbon.

They work great!

#1 great set up. I like the bike off the back, table, cook set up.
#2 the lights! My neighbor gave me a 6ft strip of these years ago and I never knew who made them. Thanks for the link. I have been using them with 2 6v linked for years. almost too bright. I have been looking into mounting them just like that in my 80.

Back to topic...

tbared

Life participant
Those look incredably bright, are they? How many strips and the lenght of each one. if you dont mind enLIGHTening me.

IMG_0406.jpg
[/QUOTE]

SOAZ

Tim and Kelsey get lost..
#1 great set up. I like the bike off the back, table, cook set up.
#2 the lights! My neighbor gave me a 6ft strip of these years ago and I never knew who made them. Thanks for the link. I have been using them with 2 6v linked for years. almost too bright. I have been looking into mounting them just like that in my 80.

Back to topic...
Thanks!

Those look incredably bright, are they? How many strips and the lenght of each one. if you dont mind enLIGHTening me.

I see what ya did there! :sombrero:
I used a 2 foot long strip along the back and a 1 foot strip on either side. They are bright enough to cook or do whatever else I need to do behind the truck, but they aren't as bright as some pictures make them look.

SOAZ

To SOAZTIM: 1/24/2016. Just saw the post on the rear bumper mounted carrier you made for you Toyota. How can I get instructions on the build?

Yes can you give us a build plan?

Thanks guys. Here is a bit more info from when I built it. Almost the entire bumper was from scrap metal. I would cut and tape together a very rough cardboard piece by piece and then make a metal one. It definitely took me a lot more time than a professional fabricator, but I was able to make it exactly as I wanted it.
Here is the base bumper build.
http://soaztim.blogspot.com/2009/01/building-custom-rear-bumper.html

Then there is the swing out portion which took a shockingly small amount of time to build. I think it took about an hour and a half. Nice surprise after spending days on the bumper.
http://soaztim.blogspot.com/2009/09/soaztim-gets-new-swing-out-on-rear.html

In the end, it was overbuilt enough to overload it. Which I did, a lot.

SOAZ

SOAZ, does the the bumper swing out with the motorcycle on?

No, I took the swing out off for this heavy load. You can see the bare spindle on the right of the bumper. That bike is way too heavy for me to trust it on any sort of spindle swing out.

SOAZ

SOAZ - I thought you sold that 4Runner for the 80?
Yesir! I still get a ton of questions about that 4runner though. Haha!

I did love that truck. Except for a few issues due to the ligther duty nature of it, it was perfect. I miss how fast I could drive offroad with the great suspension it had. My 80 has the nice Icon dampers, but it's a school bus compared to that 4runner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier

Members online