Swiss Army in Baja!

Grenadiers

Adventurer
My wife and I, two small dogs, and a cat, took off December 30th, 2017 in our new to us, 1985 Swiss-made, Saurer 6dm military camper conversion to Baja California. We purchased our 'Helga' (it is yellow, and Swiss!) in May of 2017, and spent three months adding 30" to the front of the cabin, and then remodeling the inside of the cabin to include a Thetford Cassette toilet and, a Splendide RV washer/dryer combo. Also, we painted the cabinets, replaced the flooring and covered the walls with white wallboard, and a new ceiling. Plus new batteries for the cabin and starting batteries. Lots of ETC~! Anyway, that build-up is documented here: http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/172929-Swiss-Army-our-1985-Saurer-6DM-build

Our journey began soon after completing the modifications. Well, we spent a month after that, sanding, and staining our 1800 square feet of decks at our house, and replacing the deck railings. My 'trigger thumb' is the painful result of that! Drilling 2" holes in 32-5"x96" logs for the spindles. Grrrrrr.

We had companions in our trip, a German couple we met on the Mexican mainland a year ago. They have a 1983 MAN DOCA overland vehicle where they disabled the cab tilt mechanism and connected their cabin to the trailing edge of the cab. Remarkable. There are a lot of differences out there for big overland vehicles of course, and our two were quite different. The Saurer was built in conjunction with Mercedes Benz, and definitely refined by the Swiss; aka, it's overbuilt. The MAN sported a six cylinder Deutz non-aspirated diesel engine. Our Helga has a 320hp six cylinder turbo-charged engine. The MAN is probably a 8.136 truck, with 136 hp or so; not sure.

Anyway, my wife speaks fluent German, and I just grunted, and handed out beers. We were good. The two of us were set on Baja, even though we only had did a cursory trip to the Mogollon Rim in northern Arizona, in the area where we live. In other words, we were a tad nervous! However, none for the worry, the Saurer lived up to it's reputation of excellence, 55-60 mph down the highway. The semi-automatic transmission, which has a small 5-speed shifter, with overdrive for each gear, was easy to use. After a few hundred miles, I realized that I didn't really have up-shift or downshift, I just left it in fifth gear, and the tranny did all of the work. Oh well, I'm old~!

We took off from Prescott, AZ, down Hwy 89 south, if you haven't been on that road, you should! Lots of twisties, cliff roads, and you can go to Wickenburg. But there is a bypass to Hwy 60 to Quartzsite; which we took. We were sorta interested in Quartzsite, but the thousands of RVs intimidated us, as in, it was getting late, where do we park? So, instead, we took Hwy 95 south and camped in the Kofa area for the night. Very nice, big moon, lots of dirt, and a few suds!

IMG_1491.jpg
IMG_1490.jpg

The next day, we continued down Hwy 95 through Yuma and west on the freeway to Hwy 98, then south on Hwy 7 to the border, which is Mexicali East. Which we had heard was good for bigger vehicles instead of the West crossing. Good choice, getting our FMM, we were the only ones in the office, very friendly staff and the banjercito was a few feet away, again, very friendly people as well, and great service. So, we continued through the city, looking for our first destination, the COSTCO~! The wives went in, of course, snort, and bought some essentials like food, and we went back to highway 5 to continue south.

More to come, have to look for some more pics~!

Attachments

• IMG_1489.jpg
    IMG_1489.jpg
    550.9 KB · Views: 81

Grenadiers

Adventurer
Thanks! Had a great time, we're back in Prescott now, and can't wait to take another trip somewhere! We're selling our house here though, and moving back to Wisconsin, and have a lot to do before we put it on the market.

Grenadiers

Adventurer
While at Costco, we had quite a few onlookers asking questions about our rig, and asking permission to take photographs! Quite the surprise to us, but, it's big, it's yellow, and loud! This happened during the entire trip to Baja, surprisingly, quite a few Germans and Swiss people on the road, came up to us for the same thing. I doubt most Americans would recognize a Stewart & Stevenson rig as being from our country. After leaving Mexicali, we ventured south down Highway 5 to San Felipe. It didn't take long to realize that the highway was barely large enough to accommodate our rig. Speeds were in the 45-50 mph range, as anything more, especially around corners, was a bit intimidating. We ended up at Playa Hawaii, one of many beaches north of San Felipe. The ATV traffic by the locals was, well, a lot, but we set up our stuff along the beach and had a good time. An evening shot of our new campground!
IMG_1536.jpg

Our camp overlooking the beach in Playa Hawaii. My wife was nervous about all the ATV traffic, our first night in Mexico and all. But, I slept well! Just locals having fun.
IMG_1545.jpg
Our Poodle/Shih Tzu is a sweet an cute dog, but she's a pig.
IMG_1551.jpg
The next morning we continued our trip south to San Felipe. Once there, we went to the local bodega grocery store for more supplies. We didn't trip through the town, not realizing how much of a tourist area it actually is. On the way back north though, we camped at an RV spot on the beach in town, and did the town up, and would recommend travelers to do the same if in the area. Very nice. Heading south, Highway 5 we ventured into Puertecitos to hit the head. Again, we didn't explore the town, but on the way back, we did spend a night at an RV park on the beach. The road to this point was very good. South of town, it was still very good to Gonzaga Bay area. Afterwards, not so much! We camped at Papa Fernández for a couple of days, very nice beach. A tad run-down, do not believe the restaurant is still open.
IMG_1568.jpg
IMG_1570.jpg
IMG_1573.jpg
Yours truly, on top of the Saurer, used the outdoor shower that very morning; worked great.
IMG_1579.jpg
Our German friends had an inflatable boat! We went fishing and caught three Trigger Fish, quite the fighters. We had no idea what they were, nor how to prepare them. My wife, decided to filet the fish. Wrong! They're skin is tough, and the area in front of the fins is like armor. Most people, which we found out later, just lay them on a hot grill, and the skin just peels off. Anyway, what meat we ended up with was very tasty.
IMG_1585.jpg
We really liked the Gonzaga Bay area and highly recommend Papa Hernandez's spot. They have a gate, which they lock at night, and you have to drive up and over a good sized hill to get to the beach. Shouldn't be a problem for any vehicle. Afterwards, we headed south on the lovely Highway 5 to Highway 1. There is confusion on how to proceed, the left turn-off to the original highway to see Coco's Corner is difficult to discern. We missed it, and drove straight through to the road construction. Well, that's when things became interesting! Our German friends were in the lead, and we took many of the bypasses through rugged hilly country. I loved it, the Saurer was built for this, and being a 20+ year Jeeper, not a problem. However, the wife wasn't happy, happy wife, happy life and all, and we noticed that a lot of the locals were on the new main Highway 5 road quite a bit. Took us a bit long to realize, hey, we can do that too! So, our diversion took longer than it should have, and we ended up at the intersection of 1 and 5, quite relieved, tired, crabby, and there's beer~!

Finally on Highway 1, we drove to the cutoff to Bahia Los Angeles. Ahhhhhhh, this picture sums up our moment of happiness!
IMG_1598.jpg

More to come~!

Grenadiers

Adventurer
Bahia Los Angeles, we were at the northern end of the string of beaches; Baja Punta La Gringa. Nice beach, calm waters, we took out the rubber raft quite a bit. One thing we learned about Baja, you have to have toys! As this was our first visit, and first big trip in the Saurer, and all the time it took to work on it and then the house, we didn't get around to buying any 'toys'. A rubber raft, and ground transportation are on the list.
IMG_1601.jpg
After a couple of days, we split with the Germans and went our own way. Next stop, Guerrero Negro, RV park in town, overnight stay only. Then on to Loreto.
We had anticipated stopping at Mulege, but, inadvertently, took the big gate into town, and sweated out the drive through narrow streets and overhanging wires. Plus, we missed the entrances to the RV Parks on Hwy 1, since we exited at the far end of town. So, it was early, and we headed south towards Loreto.

IMG_1605.jpg
We drove past San Ignacio in favor of stopping on the way back. That seemed to have been the pattern, but it worked for us! We also drove through Santa Rosalia, there was raw sewage running down the street to the ocean. We ended up in Playa Santispac. This is a nice beach, crowded with Canadians, but has two restaurants! We ate at both, and one had weak wi-fi. Our iphone chipped with an AT&T GoPhone data plan didn't work well in Baja, just the larger towns.
IMG_1613.jpg
IMG_1617.jpg
IMG_1625.jpg
IMG_1631.jpg
IMG_1633.jpg

Grenadiers

Adventurer
No we did not, we within walking distance, but my wife's back hurt too much for that. And, you had to really time it well between the tides.

Bajaguy

Nice pics. No one mans Papas restaurant unless you ask. Just tell the guy at the gate next time you want to eat and he will call over the abuelas to open the restaurant and cook. Great food.

Grenadiers

Adventurer
Next up was Loreto, our favorite stop. We camped in the Rivera RV Park, driving through town, down the Malecon, quite a few stares and no low-hanging wires! We stayed five days, hooked up the electricity, which runs through an ISB Isola Basic 4000 voltage regulator. A must-have Mexican-made product to deal with the fluctuating current/voltage found in Mexico. We spent our time getting to know the Canadians in the RV park, one night, a traveling trio of musicians entertained us as we gave them pesos! The fairly long walks to 'town' was a reminder to us older people, that ground transportation is a must! The fairly long walk back to the RV park was reminder that bladders do matter~!
IMG_1636.jpg
IMG_1638.jpg
IMG_1639.jpg
IMG_1640.jpg
IMG_1641.jpg
IMG_1653.jpg
IMG_1654.jpg
IMG_1670.jpg
IMG_1665.jpg
IMG_1674.jpg

Ace Brown

Retired Ol’ Fart
So many places I have visited numerous times. I decided to stay home this year and missing Baja. I always tell folks new to Baja to bring toys, lots of toys. For local transportation and simply fun I bring a fat bike.

Enjoying your report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grenadiers

Adventurer
Thanks! We're looking at fat-tire electric bikes. Met a young couple at the RV park in Puertecitos and they had a couple of the new RadRover electric bikes out of Seattle. I rode one and was very impressed.

I'll update more in a bit, fighting off a torn right-hand thumb tendon, aka, trigger finger, which brought us home a week early from Baja. Grrr, getting old!!

Grenadiers

Adventurer
Ugh, been awhile here, wife and I succumbed to the Type A flu, which was a 'fun' two weeks. Felt like I was moving around in an alternate universe, fever and all. But, we're done with that. So, after Loreto, we headed down highway 1 to the turn off to Aqua Verde. Our Baja California map indicated a few squiggly lines, and it didn't seem that much of a trip. Well, it was more than we expected! The first several miles were on asphalt, which made us a tad over confident. Then, the asphalt ended, and the ubiquitous Baja 'improved' gravel road ensued. Again, not too horrendous even though we were driving on 14r 20 tires at 100psi, which didn't help on the washboard sections of the road. Um, which was pretty much all of it. After quite a few miles, we found ourselves in the mountains. The 'road' narrowed into, what I would call, a Jeep road. As an avid Jeeper for the last 20 something years, I wasn't too concerned. Hmpf! The road turned into a 'cliff' road with switch-backs and hardly a place to accommodate oncoming traffic, or anyone that wanted to pass us. Thankfully, we only encountered a couple trucks that wanted to pass us. I never liked going downhill when wheeling, and this was no exception. Our Saurer 6dm has a very low first gear, but you can't use it all the time, because you didn't need it all the time. So, the semi-automatic transmission was worked to death going back and forth to accommodate the short straights, and tight curves. My wife hated it, I hated it a little bit less, but we were thankful when we finally hit the bottom of the mountain.
IMG_1688 (1).jpg
IMG_1689 (1).jpg
IMG_1694 (1).jpg
IMG_1692.jpg
IMG_1725 (1).jpg
IMG_1739 (2).jpg
IMG_1721.jpg
After a couple days, the dreaded trip back up to Highway 1. However, going up hill is much easier than downhill in my mind. Here's video of the return trip. PS, Aqua Verde is worth the hassle to get there, the beach was great, restaurant on beach was great, 35 pesos for a fish taco.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXkTjLQAqjI&t=93s

Grenadiers

Adventurer
Once again, Highway 1 in all it's glory beckoned, and off we went, west to the Pacific Ocean. Our trip to Baja was supposed to be for a month, and we were at the 'tipping' point of either over-running our stay and head towards La Paz, or swing around and head north. My wife has a bad back, and the combo-platter of stiff springs in the Saurer, and hurting her back from lifting one of our 'little' dogs (they like to eat), we decided to head north. We ended up in San Juanico, the surfing capital of Baja. Camped along the 'cliff' and watched the surfers surf their way down the beach, paddle back, repeat. Took quite a few beers to do this! Exhausting!

IMG_1767 (1).jpg
IMG_1768 (2).jpg
IMG_1773 (1).jpg
IMG_1772 (1).jpg

We stayed overnight, and left the following morning, goal to reach Laguna San Ignacio! Which we did. However, the 'back road' of choice, was a tad primitive! Quite a bit of the route was along the salt-flats, partially marked with road numbers, and then not. The 'not' part, even though we pointed the Saurer north, took forever, and am pretty sure we spent more time getting to the Laguna than we should have! Pics to follow, the 'basic uploader' not working at the moment.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
Once again, Highway 1 in all it's glory beckoned, and off we went, west to the Pacific Ocean. Our trip to Baja was supposed to be for a month, and we were at the 'tipping' point of either over-running our stay and head towards La Paz, or swing around and head north.

I was in Baja just last month. Took two friends that have never been to Baja, but was limited on time to just a quick 6 day jaunt (I've never done a short Baja trip like this before). But I got them hooked in the short amount of time. They contemplated forgetting about going back to work and that we should continue south. But alas, we turned around. They're already itching to go back to Baja.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz