Switcheroo - 1 Bored Clerk's 2013 Tacoma Build

Adventurous

Explorer
Heh, Dakar leaf packs are renowned for their creakiness too. I've heard various remedies from prying the leafs apart to install pond liner in between them to prying them apart and slathering them with grease. From the sounds of it they are all just temporary solutions. My Dakars creak less now than when they were new. Either that or I'm just used to it by now.

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
I'm hoping that several hundred more pounds and a few thousand miles will help. I have no scientific reason for that actually working but it requires absolutely no work on my part so I'm all about it...for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wasatch

Observer
When I installed my new pack, I took them apart and put a BUNCH of grease between the leaves... They make noise, but not much.

I have seen folks try to put rubber pieces n such between them, but it always seems to wear too quickly. I just figure once a year, I'll take them apart and grease them.

dBeau

Hoopy
My expos creaked when they were new but it wasnt terrible. They're about a year old now and creak even less. Maybe I just got lucky. I've checked for dirt accumulating inside the timbrens but havent found much. Blasting some air in there seems to clean them out but I've only done that once.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Heh, Dakar leaf packs are renowned for their creakiness too. I've heard various remedies from prying the leafs apart to install pond liner in between them to prying them apart and slathering them with grease. From the sounds of it they are all just temporary solutions. My Dakars creak less now than when they were new. Either that or I'm just used to it by now.

Yeah the pond liners are temporary. Worked great for a short while but it works its way out. Dakars are squeaky for sure, it's obnoxious. No holes punched for isolator pads either. The extra leaf makes it worse. Right now I just soak the contact points in silicone spray monthly or when they make noise. I was hoping the expos weren't so noisy since they APPEAR to have pads between each spring.

I still keep thinking about different spring setups with mine but it's always going to be a compromise between unloaded and hauling a camper, when the truck is relatively light.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
When I installed my new pack, I took them apart and put a BUNCH of grease between the leaves... They make noise, but not much.

I have seen folks try to put rubber pieces n such between them, but it always seems to wear too quickly. I just figure once a year, I'll take them apart and grease them.

My Dakars came with a bunch of grease packed in them but didn't last long before they become noisy. Maybe a month or two? And it was dry.

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
All-pro is doing me another solid by putting me on the list to get a new spring oak as soon as they show up in stock. So far, customer service and desire to make the customer happy has been stellar with all-pro.

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
I just had 1200lbs of big watermelon sized rocks (7 rocks to be exact) and the truck just sat level and rode so cushy. I wasn't on the timbrens with that weight either. I was when I hit bigger bumps and it was a very smooth, non-noticeable transition. I'm surprised how much weight these springs can hold.

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
I just had 1200lbs of big watermelon sized rocks (7 rocks to be exact) and the truck just sat level and rode so cushy. I wasn't on the timbrens with that weight either. I was when I hit bigger bumps and it was a very smooth, non-noticeable transition. I'm surprised how much weight these springs can hold.

That's good! I'm thinking of just having deaver build me a custom set of springs and carrying my camper full time. Everything else is sort of a compromise for me right now, and I'd like to have more free travel before contacting timbrens. Unfortunately the deavers are going to be kind of spendy.

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
When I build my camper it'll be on full time. I hope that the springs I have will be enough. Could always do airbags with a daystar cradle if I have to.

toyotech

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the review on the springs. I have a tundra and was looking at the 3 leafs progressive AAL. Maybe now I should just go with a custom set. Haven't looked at all pro expo springs yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

brianjwilson

Some sort of lost...
Maybe try Alcan springs too? I've heard good things about them for load carrying springs.

I may check with them. The advantage of deaver springs (to me) is that they also use a shop in Portland to build springs to their specs. So I can pick them up locally and they should be able to make adjustments if the truck doesn't sit right.

1 Bored Clerk

Explorer
Thanks for the review on the springs. I have a tundra and was looking at the 3 leafs progressive AAL. Maybe now I should just go with a custom set. Haven't looked at all pro expo springs yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, the AAL is okay. It holds some weight but the quality of the travel is nowhere near as good as a specifically built and 'tuned' full leaf pack. I mentioned some of the shortcomings I found with my 3 leaf progressive AAL earlier in my thread. They're good and they ride decently when mildly loaded but they stack up (get firm in a hurry) then completely let go at the end and ********** off the bump stops. Not so fun. The All-Pro pack is very stiff but still feels nice in a more controlled fashion and it stacks up predictably as you load it. The Timbren bump stops from All-Pro seem really smooth too. I thought it mentioned on their website that their Timbrens are a softer durometer than normal Timbrens. May be worth a call on that one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier