SYMMETRY 4WD 99/00 NL Pajero/Montero LWB Gen 2.5 Blister Fender 2.8 TD 4M40 - South Africa - Build

Hello fellow adventurers! ?

My name's Andreas from sunny South Africa, Cape Town specifically.

Last year I bought my first 4WD, I have had a lot of experience in the past wheeling friends and family members 4WD's, and my own AWD's (Subaru's), but THIS is MY first 4WD:

99 Build 00 first registered Mitsubishi NL Pajero (Montero) LWB Gen 2.5 Blister Fender 2.8 TD 4M40 RHD

- 2 Owners (both farmers) from new
- FSH
- 304500KMS when I bought it
- 5MT Transmission - Factory 4.9 Differentials
- 31x10.5x15 AT's
- Grey Leather Interior
- 3rd row
- White Exterior
- OEM Rear Air Locker
- Front Skid/Bash Plate
- Front Spot Lights
- Basically bone stock

This platform on Expedition Portal will serve as my build, haven't been part of a forum for years (street cars back in the day) so super stoked to be here!
Had the rig for about half a year now, so will post up what's been done so far, but for now, this is how it was when I got it:

21547586-a3a9-4192-a548-c329f1900df2.jpg
b80bd360-24f9-4a34-a5a9-801a8c285e7a.jpg
Also, I have a YouTube channel showcasing my wheeling adventures with friends, any views, likes and subscribes would be greatly appreciated:

Last edited:
Next up:

To pass my local road worthy upon taking ownership of the Pajero, I need 2 new rear tyres.
I chose the Hankook Dynapro MT2 RT05 Mud Terrains, with the plan to get another 2 for the fronts at a later stage. These measured in at 31x10.5x15 or 265 75 15 Metric, to match the rest of the tyres in size on the car.

They were a great tyre, very quite for an MT tyre, very grippy on and off-road, and very well priced, I would not hesitate to use them again, they also have an awesome looking tread pattern. IMG_2162.JPGIMG_2166.JPGIMG_2169.JPGIMG_2173.JPG1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG5.JPG6.JPG

ARDOR

The gen 2.5 looks so much better w/o the factory side cladding it got here in the USDM.

What 5MT does it have, V5MT3?

The gen 2.5 looks so much better w/o the factory side cladding it got here in the USDM.

What 5MT does it have, V5MT3?

Hey!
Any 2.5 looks ?

I'm not Actually sure what model 5MT it is, as far as I know its the same one as the 3.5 V6, anywhere to check for a part number/model number stamp on the box?

ARDOR

I'm not Actually sure what model 5MT it is, as far as I know its the same one as the 3.5 V6, anywhere to check for a part number/model number stamp on the box?

There should be a small metal plate riveted to the firewall at the back of the engine bay listing the model of motor, transmission, diff gearing, exterior color, etc.

Also, I noticed in the title of this thread you indicated the truck is a TDI (Turbo Direct Injection), if it has the 4M40 I'm 99% certain that's an indirect injection(TIDI) motor while the upgraded/newer 4M41 is direct injection(TDI).

A small point, but it's always good to know about your own vehicle, especially if you plan to invest in it as you've planned. I actually prefer TIDI motors as they're often more forgiving when it comes to running bio fuels/wvo and typically simpler with fewer electronics and a fully mechanical injection pump.

There should be a small metal plate riveted to the firewall at the back of the engine bay listing the model of motor, transmission, diff gearing, exterior color, etc.

Also, I noticed in the title of this thread you indicated the truck is a TDI (Turbo Direct Injection), if it has the 4M40 I'm 99% certain that's an indirect injection(TIDI) motor while the upgraded/newer 4M41 is direct injection(TDI).

A small point, but it's always good to know about your own vehicle, especially if you plan to invest in it as you've planned. I actually prefer TIDI motors as they're often more forgiving when it comes to running bio fuels/wvo and typically simpler with fewer electronics and a fully mechanical injection pump.

Will have a look tomorrow Re the trans.

Yes that is correct, the 4M40 is indirect/Port? injection. Yeah, mechanical injection and more "bush proof".
They are often referred to and advertised locally as the TDI that just why I added it. Should probably just be TD I think is how its referred to globally, my bad

On another note,
anyone have a link to any good guides on the front CV Boot replacement procedure, I've done it on other cars just never the Pajero/Montero?
Mine are a bit worse for wear....

ARDOR

anyone have a link to any good guides on the front CV Boot replacement procedure, I've done it on other cars just never the Pajero/Montero?

The only real trick is on the driver's side CV, on a LHD vehicle, be sure to shove the CV all the way into the front diff before giving it a good solid yank to pull it straight out so that the spring clip doesn't hang up.

Definitely stick with and reboot the OEM CVs, they're much better built and stronger than any after market axles.

As for replacement boots, the OEM units are probably the best option but are $$$$.

I've heard good things about these poly units from the UK and plan on using them for the next set of CV axles I rebuild.

Only found this, but will have a closer look when I get a moment...

Attachments

• IMG_5896.JPG
    IMG_5896.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 8
Another fun adventure up Helderberg 4x4 Trail with a buddy.
Was my first 4x4 excursion with the Pajero, was a super slippery and epic trail, my friend with his front and rear locked 76 series cruiser was super impressed with how well the Pajero did, kept up with him everywhere!
Great memories?
IMG_3396.JPGIMG_3403.JPGIMG_3369.JPG4792e1f0-598d-46f1-a5fc-00486fb2d51e.jpgIMG_3339.JPGIMG_3335.JPG1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior