Synthetic Which Rope

zonker

Adventurer
If I purchase a Superwinch EP12.5 instead of the Talon series.. would the EP be compatible with synthetic winch rope? Heard stories that some winches don't get a long with it and I can't seem to find the info that would answer my question. But I will bet the answer lies in this group! Thanks.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Not sure why some winches "wouldn't get along" with synthetic line. On those with brakes inside the drum (which I think includes the EP12.5) you need to watch the temperature on the bottom wraps when reversing under load, but that's easy to manage. Otherwise its simply a matter of matching the line's rating to the winch's rating.

Count Fred

Observer
I think the internal brake concern is the typically voiced issue. However, the EP series does have an brake external to the rotor which avoids that concern. I've run an EP12.5 and a smaller EP9 and while I don't see heavy use, I've never had any concerns running synthetic on them. I believe when Superwinch still made the EP series (versus selling off left over stock) they sold a version with synthetic pre-installed. But that's just my recollection and I could be remembering another vendor that sold a modified package.

Cheers,
JFS III

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
I've said it before and will continue to...I really think the brake in drum heat issue is WAY overblown and really is a non factor for the vast majority of winch users. I've done a full pull in reverse (failed switch on the hand set so had to run the cable backwards) and it generated very little additional heat, not even close enough to cause any damage what so ever to the synthetic line. Don't let a brake in drum setup steer you away from a good winch or synthetic line.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
I really think the brake in drum heat issue is WAY overblown and really is a non factor for the vast majority of winch users. Don't let a brake in drum setup steer you away from a good winch or synthetic line.

I agree - but it can be an issue if you're careless. Thor at Viking had a guy claim failure on one of his lines. When pressed, he admitted to having lowered several friends' trucks in a row down a steep slope, using an internally braked winch. (He also then admitted that the winch's motor had melted as well as the line.)

There's a critical temperature point for synthetic line. When heated to around 150-200 degrees it will lose strength, but will actually regain full strength once cooled. But if you hit the melting point (somewhere over 300ºF IIRC), it becomes slag. As you mentioned, that is probably not a concern in 99 percent of winching scenarios.

CHorse

The other issue is aluminum vs steel winch drums. Superwinch doesn't recommend using synthetic on aluminum drums. I'm not sure what the EP12.5 had.

Here's what Superwinch has to about this (at least regarding the TS series):
"Synthetic rope can only be used on winches with steel drums designed specifically to withstand the rigorous forces created-by synthetic rope; for example the Superwinch Terra Series, the Danny O'Day S4000, the S4000SR or the Talon Series. In addition, the heat generated by the brake which is located inside the Tiger Shark drum exceeds the heat limitations of Dyneema synthetic rope. Many of our competitors will sell you a winch with a similar brake in drum setup with aftermarket synthetic rope and will not warn you of the damage which may occur to the winch, rope, vehicle or injury to the winch operator."

LR Max

Local Oaf
I've said it before and will continue to...I really think the brake in drum heat issue is WAY overblown and really is a non factor for the vast majority of winch users.

Yep. Its fine. If you are concerned, get a heat guard for the first wrap of rope.

The benefits greatly outweigh the possible/maybe/non-issue of a maybe/never will happen scenario that 3000:1 will cause damage to the winch rope.

Also how often are you gonna winch? Last time I've used my winch in anger was in 2011. Think about that. 2 years since using a winch. Really you'd be hard pressed to use a winch once a year.

But when ya need it, ya need it!

onetraveller

Adventurer
The heat issue is the primary weakness for Amsteel Blue winch lines. The primary material, Dyneema fibers, is an Ultra High Molecular Weight Poly Ethelyene. It has a melting temperature of 300 degrees F, but a critical temperature of only 150 degrees F. That temp is pretty easy to reach.

http://www.samsonrope.com/Documents/Technical%20Bulletins/TB_IND%20Rope%20Selection%20Usage%20Retirement_JUL2012_WEB.pdf

Technora based synthetic winch lines have a far higher temperature tolerance.

http://www.jeepswag.com/winchrope/index.html

It's your life. Choose your tools wisely.

Mike

911regular

Adventurer
Not sure why some winches "wouldn't get along" with synthetic line. On those with brakes inside the drum (which I think includes the EP12.5) you need to watch the temperature on the bottom wraps when reversing under load, but that's easy to manage. Otherwise its simply a matter of matching the line's rating to the winch's rating.

I own a Warn 16.5 Ti and Warn said it is NOT compatible with synthetic lines, but did not give any reason why. Does anyone know why it is not compatible? It has a built in temp monitor, so I do not think over heating is an issue, I am at a loss.

86tuning

Adventurer
What is the maximum strength of the warn synthetic winch rope? If the pulling power of the 16.5k winch exceeds the rope strength then they would recommend against it.

I Leak Oil

Expedition Leader
That goes for rope or cable. Easy fix...buy the right line for the size of the winch. Should be doing no matter what winch you get.

86tuning

Adventurer
Just sayin, if they don't make a big fat 1/2" synth rope for the 16k winch, it makes sense for them to recommend against using one.

Simons

Adventurer
I was under the impression that the aluminum drums and aluminum hawse type fairleads were designed specifically for the synthetic winch lines. I'm pretty sure Warn recommends against using synthetic winch lines on any of their steel drummed winches.

911regular

Adventurer
Warn has synthetic lines that far exceed a 16.5 's rating, and most aftermarket synthetic lines (Viking, etc,,,,) easily handle the load,,,just not sure why that particular winch is left out of the synthetic club,,,,and no real answer from Warn as to why not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior