Synthetic winch line question

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
Generally, once you get 10-15 percent of rated load on synthetic line it will permanently remove much of the air space in the braid. This will let you fit a bit more length on the drum vs steel cable typically.

As others have mentioned, the closer to the 1st layer the stronger the winch will pull.

Synthetic line is MUCH more tolerant to off angle pulls and not having perfect spooling on the drum than steel cable in my opinion.

You can always double line the winch to get more cable off and increase pull force. You can also use a simple chain hitch and a pin to get more line off the winch if you need a bit more pull force and you dont want the lines 'traveling' along the ground or around something during the recovery.

Wilbah

Adventurer
Interesting discussion, and with the ease of storage of synthetic line it's almost like some much lesser amt of line 50' - 60' and then a 50' extension or 2 in a bag would give you the best line pull strength while having enough length for long pulls when you need it. Very cool! :) always enjoy learning this different points. I dont have a winch so haven't explored this much. Thanks all!

J!m

Exactly!

I carry 100’ on the drum, a snatch block from an old Wrecker and a 50’ extension line in the recovery box. The line is so light there’s really no reason to not have extensions as needed.

hovenator

Explorer
Ordered and received my Custom Splice line in a week. They are really fast getting it out, though their shipping info is nonexistent. Overall, their service and products are great!

Low_Sky

Ordered and received my Custom Splice line in a week. They are really fast getting it out, though their shipping info is nonexistent. Overall, their service and products are great!

Custom Splice is a small operation. When they have all hands on deck, orders go out fast. They travel at various times throughout the year to off-road events and don’t communicate that to their customers very well or at all. When they’re on the road, orders don’t get processed and I think that causes a lot of grief with customers who aren’t understanding of the demands on such a small business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve_382

I have no idea what I am talking about, but can you almost double the pulling power by using a pulley in the middle and bringing the cable back to bumper hooks? Seems like that would also get more power by getting more cable off the spool.

SportsmanJake

Adventurer
I had the opposite experience. I placed a order for a blue synthetic winch line. Very standard.
It took over 2 months for me to receive it. I sent many emails requesting an update on my order and never heard back. It took to me hounding them on their facebook posts to get an update. And when they did reply, it was "We will look into it".

I cannot recommend Custom Splice.

Low_Sky

I have no idea what I am talking about, but can you almost double the pulling power by using a pulley in the middle and bringing the cable back to bumper hooks? Seems like that would also get more power by getting more cable off the spool.

Yes, you are right, and it is “almost” double because you do lose a little to friction in the block.

It also approximately halves the speed of your recovery, takes longer to set up, and longer to spool all that line back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jadmt

ignore button user
I had the opposite experience. I placed a order for a blue synthetic winch line. Very standard.
It took over 2 months for me to receive it. I sent many emails requesting an update on my order and never heard back. It took to me hounding them on their facebook posts to get an update. And when they did reply, it was "We will look into it".

I cannot recommend Custom Splice.
that is what i am worried about. Seems that is more oft the case than the other way around. A little honesty up front would be great ie "Sorry but we are on the road and will not be shipping for 6 weeks" etc.

hovenator

Explorer
I have heard such stories too, but I just ordered about 2 weeks ago and it was at my house in 6 days, though I didn't hear a single peep it was on its way. I think if they have the stuff in stock, they'll get it to you as quick as they can..... Just my .02

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior