#t4rv3 1999 4runner Limited build thread

Tuanvuyeah

A custom bracket mount for what I believe is the most accessible/ergonomical area to put the switch panel. Right behind the 4wd shifter and in front of the cup holders. Doesn’t get in the way of anything. If anyone is interested I might started producing these for resale. Only minor plastic trimming needed for a bolt in application. 505442505443505444505445
Solid, clean and very accessible at your finger tips505446

Also tucked my switch pros module next to the fender behind the battery to keep it away from heat/debris 505447

Tuanvuyeah

Sent my bumpers off to NW Powder coating inc. and I gotta say they did a great job with exceptional attention to detail. Especially with covering all the threaded parts and removing any plastic parts that would’ve melted in the oven505451505452505453505454505455
When I dropped them off
When I picked them up 505457

bkg

Explorer
Yes I did. I had them do an epoxy based powder coat. Lightly sanded then two base coats

Interesting. Curious only - could they not match the paint w/ the powder? And what's the benefit of powder as a base over an etching primer/paint? Again, just curious.

thezentree

pretend redneck
Hah I just painted my coastal offroad front bumper a similar (darker) shade about three hours ago. Yours looks way better than mine though. I spent too much time grinding flux core slag down and started running out of daylight so I rushed the paint.

Did you have trouble getting yours back on the frame after you finish welded it? Mine doesn't want to go the last 3/4" or so.

Tuanvuyeah

Interesting. Curious only - could they not match the paint w/ the powder? And what's the benefit of powder as a base over an etching primer/paint? Again, just curious.
They could but it’s much easier for me to touch up my painted bumpers compared to touching up powder coat. Powder coat is much more durable and can take impact better than paint which is more likely to chip off. Powder coat is baked onto the metal and is more so like a plastic shell compared to primer/paint

Tuanvuyeah

Hah I just painted my coastal offroad front bumper a similar (darker) shade about three hours ago. Yours looks way better than mine though. I spent too much time grinding flux core slag down and started running out of daylight so I rushed the paint.

Did you have trouble getting yours back on the frame after you finish welded it? Mine doesn't want to go the last 3/4" or so.
It can be difficult but if you knudge it side to side, you can get it back on. Try using a rubber mallet too.

bkg

Explorer
They could but it’s much easier for me to touch up my painted bumpers compared to touching up powder coat. Powder coat is much more durable and can take impact better than paint which is more likely to chip off. Powder coat is baked onto the metal and is more so like a plastic shell compared to primer/paint

interesting. I was always under the impression that painting over PC was a challenge; that it would be very hard to get good adhesion. Then again, that was information from 20+ years ago. :)

Tuanvuyeah

interesting. I was always under the impression that painting over PC was a challenge; that it would be very hard to get good adhesion. Then again, that was information from 20+ years ago. :)
Depends on what base coating of the powder coat is used. If you sand lightly and get the slip agent off of the powder coat surface, it’s just like painting primer

Reactions: bkg

Tuanvuyeah

Double lock’d and 5.29 geared! (Nitro) done at Mule Expedition Outfitters 507494
Then drove about 550 miles fwy/city with mixed 2wd/4wd to break in the gears and then flushed to check for metal debris, and good news there’s none!

thezentree

pretend redneck
Got more bumper questions for you - did your winch plate contact the AC line and the hood latch support strap? I had to cut the strap (lost a lot of strength) and notch the winch plate for the AC line.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles