Tacoma 05+ Suspension Upgrade Help

Dipodomys

Observer
Greetings Good People!
I come to you seeking your wisdom and experience regarding suspension upgrades for 2005 and up Tacoma suspensions. I am in possession of a bone stock 2008 Doublecab Shortbed 4x4 with the Offroad package. The stock suspension provides a comfy ride whilst cruising the boulevards but has definite limitations once the going gets rough. Those of you who own one of these fine machines know what I am talking about, but the basic summary of deficiencies are as follows:

1. Low-Ride-Er: Not enough clearance, especially for a vehicle with a 128-inch wheelbase.
2. Cargo Capacity: On a recent camping trip with just a moderate load (just myself and maybe 400 pounds of water and gear), the rear end of the truck sagged to the point where there was only one-inch of of travel between the axle and the bumpstops. Needless to say, the truck bottomed out quite a bit, and the sagging problem only added to the aforementioned clearance limitations. Even light loads, say a couple of people sitting in the back seat, adds to this problem.

All of this being said, the solution is obviously a quality suspension upgrade composed of rear leaf springs, front coil springs, and appropriately matched shocks and struts. My ultimate goal is to gain approximately 3 inches of lift, minimal sagging under moderate to heavy loads, and a halfway decent ride when empty. Eventually I plan to install an ARB bullbar and winch on the front of the vehicle. Add a camper shell and I don't envision much more in the way of heavy accessories. The end product will be a vehicle capable of handling a moderate amount of camping gear/water/fuel, etc. on a 7 to 14-day trip to Baja or similar destination.

So, what do you folks suggest? I am prepared to spend up to $1,800 on the upgrade, but of course less would be preferable, and I would install it myself. I've seen reference to a variety of setups and manufacturers on this discussion board, but would like to know the relative merits and deficiencies of each. I have always been impressed with ARB products, and they offer a complete setup for between $1,000 and $1,300, depending on where you buy. I have also checked out Deavers, Danello, Donohue, etc. Who has experience with these products? What do you love and what do you hate? What would you do differently if you could do it over again? Any constructive advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!

timmer2008

Adventurer
Dipodomys said:
Greetings Good People!
I come to you seeking your wisdom and experience regarding suspension upgrades for 2005 and up Tacoma suspensions. I am in possession of a bone stock 2008 Doublecab Shortbed 4x4 with the Offroad package. The stock suspension provides a comfy ride whilst cruising the boulevards but has definite limitations once the going gets rough. Those of you who own one of these fine machines know what I am talking about, but the basic summary of deficiencies are as follows:

1. Low-Ride-Er: Not enough clearance, especially for a vehicle with a 128-inch wheelbase.
2. Cargo Capacity: On a recent camping trip with just a moderate load (just myself and maybe 400 pounds of water and gear), the rear end of the truck sagged to the point where there was only one-inch of of travel between the axle and the bumpstops. Needless to say, the truck bottomed out quite a bit, and the sagging problem only added to the aforementioned clearance limitations. Even light loads, say a couple of people sitting in the back seat, adds to this problem.

All of this being said, the solution is obviously a quality suspension upgrade composed of rear leaf springs, front coil springs, and appropriately matched shocks and struts. My ultimate goal is to gain approximately 3 inches of lift, minimal sagging under moderate to heavy loads, and a halfway decent ride when empty. Eventually I plan to install an ARB bullbar and winch on the front of the vehicle. Add a camper shell and I don't envision much more in the way of heavy accessories. The end product will be a vehicle capable of handling a moderate amount of camping gear/water/fuel, etc. on a 7 to 14-day trip to Baja or similar destination.

So, what do you folks suggest? I am prepared to spend up to $1,800 on the upgrade, but of course less would be preferable, and I would install it myself. I've seen reference to a variety of setups and manufacturers on this discussion board, but would like to know the relative merits and deficiencies of each. I have always been impressed with ARB products, and they offer a complete setup for between $1,000 and $1,300, depending on where you buy. I have also checked out Deavers, Danello, Donohue, etc. Who has experience with these products? What do you love and what do you hate? What would you do differently if you could do it over again? Any constructive advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help!

for 1800 I recommend an OME set up consisting of 886 coils (for your winch bumper) 10 mm lift enhancer Kit , N140S front shocks, cs047r lift leaf spring kit , N182 rear shocks , carrier bearing and or diff drop Kits (as needed)

so the suspension is going to run you around 11 to 12 hunderd

You also Might want to add a Total chaos UCA for about 670 more to solve alignment and UCA rubbing problems associated with tire fitment on 32.7 X11.25 or larger tires.

so that takes you to around 1900 without shipping and tool rental (spring compressor)

Id also Budget 1600 for skids and sliders if you want the good underside armor and a bolt on slider

for bumpers the ARB doesnt allow for fitting of you stock fog lights but the shrockworks does so that another 975 (+shipping)

And I would suggest budgeting around 1000 to 1200 for new tires and perhaps 600 for new wheels if you want to get up to a 33 due to tire fitment issues.

so all totaled we are talking $5100 bucks all totaled .

Now there are cheaper ways to go

You could go with 5100 adjs up front and 5100 HD's in back which will give you up to 2.5 in front and if you can get toyota to do a TSB suspension fix you can get like 1.5 in back for about 316 + shipping and tool rental.
You might want to add in a diff drop for another 30 or so bucks.

or you could add on a eilback ciol over set to that for another 3 ro 4 hundred

SO lets just sya you have a load of due dillegence ahead of you to get what you really want and need. be aware no one new to this will get it all right the first time so just hope to get really close by doing your home work.

check out toytec for Ideas

http://www.toyteclifts.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=64&Itemid=2

wheelers
http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/05uptacoadjbils.htm

4x4 connection
http://4by4connection.com/toyota14.html

TTORA
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94249

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

and a whole bunch of more forums and sites for more information than a normal sized brain can handle.

and remember to HAVE FUN

because that is what this is all about!!

and good luck

timmer2008

Explorer
OME front and back with Ride Right airbags or timberin bumpstops. That would be your most capable setup for the budget.

Adjustable coilovers will be better at aggressive driving, and the OME will be more smooth for most of your driving.

The OME is a great setup. Some prefer it over coil overs because the ride is so nice more of the time and they don't care to push the suspension to its limits. If you like to charge down the road you will find that the Adjustable coil over will not heat up and fade, have better control and not encounter the bumpstops as often. You will also find, more missing from your wallet, and small bumps below 35mph are amplified.

I SEARCHED this a while ago when making the same decision for the 06. I have Donahoe's (icons) on my 01 and love them. They work very well for covering rough ground at a fast clip. The 06 is a family truck so I'm going with the OME setup for cost and comfort.

The dakar springs are awesome for loads but you will still need to plane the truck out when loaded with timberin rubber shocks or inflatable airbags.

Good luck, and God speed!

Dipodomys

Observer
Thanks for the info

Thanks, that's really some good information. I'm already leaning towards OME, but that is largely based on previous positive experience with other ARB products. However, I have no direct experience with their OME suspension products. Is there a particular reason why you recommend the OME setup over some of the others out there? Do you have such a setup on your vehicle? Anybody else out there with an OME getup on their Tacoma?

OME does seem to offer a full service setup, whereas with some of the others its seems to be a mix-and-match/hit-or-miss proposition. Like you said, there's a lot of homework involved here, and you don't want to spend two grand and end up with a dog.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
Another vote here for the OME with Dakar leaf springs. I have them on my truck, and am very happy with them.

The only problem I have is with the vibration from lifting the truck. Very annoying. Alignment shims are helping, but have not 100% fixed the problem.

timmer2008

Adventurer
Diff and Carrier bearing drop might solve the problem.

Have you expperimented with either of these two refinements?

TheMike

Adventurer
My modified 05

When I started to modify my 05, it was VERY early in what was available for the 05+ Tacomas. So early in fact I am about 99% sure I was the 1st customer anywhere that installed the rear external Donahoe shocks (true, but another story). Anywho...what I installed was:

Tires: 285/75/16 MTR's
Front: Donahoe adjustable coilovers + Total Chaos upper control arms
Rear: Deaver 10 leaf springs + Donahoe external reservoir shocks, 1" blocks.

I also installed the ARB bumper w/warn XD9000 winch.

I built it to tow all my crap to whatever recreation area we were heading to then to have fun with the Taco.

I know that there are MANY things that are now on the marked since I installed my components but this is what I did and I was happy with it. It towed great and handled the high speed "baja" style of desert running in Moab very, very well.

DSCF2870.jpg

DSCF3005.jpg

DSCF2988.jpg

DSCF3009.jpg

AND FINALLY LOADED FOR BEAR:

DSCF3093.jpg

You asked for specific info.....I believe in you get what you pay for. This stuff was expensive but worth every penny. Aside from the cost factor, absolutely no regreats in what I did. I have since moved on to my current modified rig but I wouldn't change anything if I were to do a Taco again.

I rubbed just a little up front but I removed the mud flaps and trimmed a tad off of the flare. The rear stuffed perfectly. I did do a front transfer case drop but unfortunately I can't remember who made the kit (it was just longer bolts with big spacers) but it worked well to get rid of front vibe that comes with lifted rigs.

I have a bunch of threads and writeups over on Tundrasolutions (if you are a member).

Hope this helps in some way. Mike

Last edited:

Dipodomys

Observer
More 05+ Tacoma Suspension Discussion

Thanks, everyone, for your input. It appears that lifting a 05+ Tacoma more than, say, a couple of inches creates some unintended consequences in regards to vibration, wheel geometry, etc. I guess that's not surprising, considering those Japanese engineers who originally designed the suspension are probably a lot smarter than the rest of us combined. The last truck I lifted was a 1977 FJ40, and lifting live axle trucks is definitely easier and more idiot proof than IFS.

Sounds like vibration is a real problem, and I'll be bummed if I go from an essentially vibration-free truck to a shake-rattle-and-roll machine. I've had plenty of old clunkers in my day to know that I won't be pleased if my new $30,000 truck starts getting the heebie-jeebies. So you can drop the transfer case an inch or so in the front to deal with front CV-joint angles, thus taking away from the additional clearance you were originally trying to obtain. Speedo readings will be off if larger tires are installed (an age-old problem). You might also have to upgrade your UCA's to correct the geometry and you might also have tire rubbing, especially in the front. I'd also need to correct the rear driveshaft angle. Brakelines may also need to be extended. It sounds like you might be continually chasing some of these problems for some time to come. That's fine, so long as I know what to expect. Are there any other unintended consequences I need to know about?

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
I wanted more clearance and better stability under load. I also wanted to keep the mods simple for ease of future maintenance / repairs. I went with the OME kit front and rear and lost the front sway bar. The articulation is limited by the IFS and I am looking into a SAS, but the OME without a swaybar made a huge difference in improving ride quality and capability.

I have a slight vibration when I start from a complete stop. It is VERY small and is the only issue.

tacollie

Glamper
I run the OME and am happy with it. It carries my heavy truck very well. I had both OME and Alcans with race runners on my 02 taco. I love the Alcans but opted for OME because of money and not being sure of how the truck will be when its done. I loved the racerunners, but didn't like them as much for a dd truck. Man they were fun. When the truck is closer to being done I will still run the OME in the front and hopefully alcans in the rear. I don't like overload springs.

DarkHelmet

Adventurer
Another OME vote...

I am running the OME route also.

I have the full OME kit with 886 front and Dakar leafs in back. P255/85R16 on factory rims. ARB front bumper, and Warn M8000 winch. Installed, including a full size spare I managed out the door for $3,800. Hard to beat.

- DH

DSC_0006-1.jpg

Dipodomys

Observer
Thanks for the good info.

From the photos you all have posted I think I'm on the right track with OME. Your trucks look sweet! Clearance looks like exactly what I'm after. As for the other problems (vibration, etc.), I guess there is always a downside to any vehicle and any modification. I'll deal with the problems as they come. Nothing's perfect. Appreciate all the help!

DarkHelmet

Adventurer
Dipodomys said:
From the photos you all have posted I think I'm on the right track with OME. Your trucks look sweet! Clearance looks like exactly what I'm after. As for the other problems (vibration, etc.), I guess there is always a downside to any vehicle and any modification. I'll deal with the problems as they come. Nothing's perfect. Appreciate all the help!

The OME kit addresses driveline vibration with a carrier bearing spacer. Otherwise I haven't noticed any issues with vibration. There is minimal vibration from the tires if balanced properly, other than a little bit from 0-10mph on acceleration from the knobby tread. My wife and I seemed to think that there was actually LESS road noise at highway speed on our last trip than with my old tires, and there was no noticeable vibration. On road handling was a huge concern of mine with my lift because I have occasion to respond to SAR calls running code 3. Moving down the highway at 80+ mph the truck is smooth and handles well. Cornering is obviously a little different with the higher CG but not hugely so.

When all was said and done with the lift and tires I managed to pick up between 4" and 4.5" of added clearance.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
DarkHelmet said:
The OME kit addresses driveline vibration with a carrier bearing spacer. Otherwise I haven't noticed any issues with vibration.

I have the carrier bearing spacer installed and I still ended up with a vibration that was not there before the lift.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior