Tacoma aluminum Pop-up

TacomaJack09

Observer
Great build! I'm currently rebuilding a slide in popup and I was wondering how you went about attaching the canvas to the roof and walls? Did you sandwich it somehow?

Thanks!

bill harr

Adventurer
Fantastic build. Love the hinges, nice work. Would like to see more interior picture and a list of how equipped, looks like a heater in one of the pictures. Also is that solar on the roof? Video of the roof going up and down would be fantastic.

Bill Harr

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Great! Where did you source the LP tank from? Haven't seen that one. Most horizontal tanks have a different mounting scheme.

miniorf

here is a link to the LP tank http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4325&category_id=&category_parent_id= and i totally agree about being concerned about the fittings. I don't do to much in the way of rock negotiating and it sits no lower then the transfer case or exhaust just a bit further aft :/ Hopen it stays well protected

Ill try and take a video soon for yah guys of it opening and all.

as far as a heater i have a atwood hydroflame 1800 BTU and a digital honeywell thermostat (just from home depot) Ive been sleeping in 0 F and setting it to 40 and it runs for 5 mins and than cycles off for 25 mins or so. I can get 6 night running like that till the bottle is empty.

And for solar I have two Unisolar 68w panels. There are flexible and thin. You can walk on em if you want. They were originally designed to go on metal roofs. Nice product to bad they went outa business.

miniorf

TacomaJack I used awning track and riveted it to the camper. Then attached a cord to the fabric both top and bottom. It makes it pretty easily removable. Im not totally satisfied with water infiltration in heavy heavy heavy rain. But that has more to do with how the whole camper was designed, always room for improvement.

Louisd75

Adventurer
Thanks for adding the .pdf for the hinge. I'm working on one to potentially use on a trailer I'm building. Could you share what the vertical dimensions are between the upper and lower pivot points front and rear? I'm referring to the pivot points that are on the brackets that mount directly to the lid and shell. Thanks!

I ran my numbers in Excel and then did a low-budget prototype out of some old peg board:

20140903_200818800x600_zpsab6b0e58.jpg

20140903_200757800x600_zps0ada1138.jpg

The dimensions seem to work with peg board but how often does stuff like this line up in nice neat 1" increments...

MANUCHAO

Aventurero
What an awesome build.

How much do you think the lid weights?

I'm looking at cutting the top off from my FJ60 and integrating a pop up....
This really helps bring my wish to reality...

Thanks for posting...!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles