Tacoma Suspension Review. An alternative approach.

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
I have a 2012 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4 5 speed MT with the 2.7 4 cyl in it. The truck currently has about 123,000 miles on it.
In general, this has been an awesome truck. I did a 100 K review on the rig about a year ago. https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/100-k-review-2012-2-7-4x4-regular-cab.170847/.

This truck, is mostly stock. With the exception of solid beefy tires, and an ARE mid rise topper, I have kept things simple. The fact is, I use my truck like a truck, and in this form it does everything that I need it to and then some. Mods add complexity, expense, and the likely hood something is going to break. I very much am a huge fan of simple things. Simple = cheap. Simple = relibial. I think that when one starts getting away from the platform that has thousands of hours of planning, R&D, and eguineering by folks way smarter then I you end up asking for trouble. The simple fact is a stock toyota will do just about anything short of massive mud pits and rock crawling in stock form.

With that being said. From DAY ONE. I, like many of you hated the suspension on this truck. It was soft, undersprung, and in general a weak excuse for a truck suspension. However, I found that if I put my pride away and swallowed a crappy ride the truck still did what I asked it to. Pulling trailers, loading up the back with fire wood and dirt for the garden, exploring thousands of miles of off pavement dirt roads and two tracks. Was it pretty ? Did it work well ? Did it have an awesome ride? NOT AT ALL. I am fairly convinced I lost at least one kidney and several fillings somewhere on the back roads of Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado, Utah, or Montanta. Hell, it could have been on a city street in portland Or, it seems like they are always doing construction over there.

So, from day one owning the truck with less than ten miles on the clock I was looking for a better suspension. As I am sure you all know, the market is flooded with suspension set ups for this truck. Some good, some bad, some great. At the end of the day, I had a hard time finding what I wanted for my truck. Also, not a lot of people have the regular cab 4 cyl 4x4 tacos. There simply was not an excessive amount of examples of folks who lifted their trucks, or upgraded their suspensions. Sure, I was able to find some folks over on Tacomaworld who had done it, but I try to avoid that forum if at all possible.

By the time the truck was around 100 K, I knew I had to do something. I told myself that I would not do anything to the truck till it was paid off and out of warrenty. Around the hundred K mark both of these things happened. My topper weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 lbs. In the winter time I put another 300 lbs of sand in the back for traction. The tacoma got to the point that the topper alone was enough to make the suspension sag and make a sad face. The Sand made the ride pretty poor, and forget a trailer or loading up with fire wood. I knew that I had to do something.

Given all of what I said above, I was not set on an aftermarket system, so for giggles when I was at the dealership in Boise getting an oil change I had a quote drawn up for a new suspension. The service tech was a bit confused when I asked for a price on new leafsprings. I guess he was not used to that request. I of course had little intention of replacing the crap stock springs with the same thing, but i thought hey.... if it is cheap enough... ( I recently went back to school to pursue my second degree and money is a bit tight at the moment ). I admit to laughing loudly at the quote when the service tech brought it out. Toyota wanted close to 750 dollars PER leaf on the rear. So. Close to 1500 dollars for new leafs, and close to another thousand dollars for new shocks all the way around. I told them thanks but no thanks. The dealership did tell me, that what ever I wanted to do, needed to happen soon. The springs were tired, and the front shocks were just about roasted. AKA all of these tings were showing up on the " yellow" fix soon section the dealership likes to give you in a print out after the inspection and oil change.

Enter Boise Spring Works. A small local shop that only works on suspensions. Their thing is building custom suspensions for cars, trucks, and commercial rigs.
I went in to chat with these fine folks after getting a recommendation from a friend. This friend had a first gen Tundra, he drove about 30kk miles per year and on average, I would say he easily had 1,300 LBS in the back of his truck at any given time. ( He used it as a mobil office/ gear and boat hauler for his biz) There was a bed slide, a dully built out custom high rise topper set up, and all the gear he needed to live and work on the road for a few months at a time. I asked him about his suspension after seeing his custom set up and the amount of crap he was hauling around. His truck sat perfectly level.

So, I went to Boise Spring Works and found them to be very helpful. I told them what I was looking for. The short version is this: I wanted my Tacoma to handle better on the road, I wanted my rear suspension to be able to fully support the full payload the truck is rated for ( 1,300 lbs ) and not be riding on the bumptops or squatting. I wanted improved ride and handling off road and be able to also have better towing handling when my hitch weight was maxed out. I realize that this was no short order and I added complexity to the task by saying that I would love to be able to do all of this with out increasing the stock ride height. In short, I wanted a better suspension, I was not looking for a lift, but I understood that in order to get what I was looking for I am sure the height would have to come up a bit. I stated if they did need to bring the hight up, It needed to stay under two inches of lift in the front and I would like to try and level things out as much as I could.

Boise Spring Works was AWESOME in working to meet my needs. The reccomended that I go with a coustom leaf back they would build to fit my needs and blisteen 5100 shocks all the way around. I agreed. As I am sure you all know, there are dozens of shocks on the market. Since I have no current plans to hang two hundred lbs of plate bumper off the front and I was not looking for something to take the woops and potholes at 80MPH in there was no need to go with a heavier duty shock like the OME set ups or a higher end shock like the fox or icon. While those would be sexy and increase my overland cred on the streets, see the broke student stupid enough to go back for a second degree thing I mentioned earlier. BSW steered me towards the 5100 because the front was adjustable, and it would provide a huge improvement over the stock shocks. The 5100 is proven, and reasonable in terms of price and life of the shock. Boise Spring Works quoted me at 1100 dollars out the door. I was sold and booked a time to drop the truck off for the day.

When I got the truck back, I noticed right away the stance of the truck had changed. It is a bit hard to say how much " lift" I walked away with since the stock suspension was so worn out. BSW brough the truck back to stock height and I would say the truck gained 2-3 inches in the back end. they set the front 5100's one inch higher then stock. As mentioned, I run a topper year round, sand in the winter ( about six months long here ) and the rest of the year there is always a few hundred pounds of tools and other gear living in the bed. ( Chain saws, Ax, shovels, HiLift, ropes camping gear etc etc). When I got it back, the truck still had the winter sand bags in the back and it was sitting close to level. BSW built a four or five leaf custom progressive leaf pack. They attached this under the existing leaf spring. the best way to describe it would be a spring sandwich with an added series of leafs that vary in thickness and length. The end product looks very clean. The ride on the truck was improved 100 percent. Sitting a bit higher means a bit more roll on the twists and bends, but it is very well controlled and predictable compared to the stock suspension. Bumps are smooth, no more diving and lurching about when I go over a speed bump. 500-700 LBS in the rear is not noticable, Trailers handle much better. I have not loaded the bed to the 1300 LBS capacity yet, but I have no doubt it will preform flawlessly. The 5100's have excellent road manners and soak up the bumps off road well as long as things are not taken at speed. Out the door price was just under 1200 dollars including a trip to the local tire shop for an alignment after leaving Boise Spring Works.

Attachments

• IMG_5253.JPG
    IMG_5253.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_5300.JPG
    IMG_5300.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_5302.JPG
    IMG_5302.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_5303.JPG
    IMG_5303.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 57

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
When it is just the topper on the back, the ride is a bit more harsh then with about 500 lbs total but still better then the stock ride. There is a bit of an odd driveline noise more of a hum and not a vibration from 60-65/66MPH and then it goes away. The Reg Cab Tacoma has a different driveline/ drive shaft then the extended cab and quad cab tacoma. many regular cab taco owners reported all sorts of vibrations in their trucks post suspension upgrade or lift. I am happy with mine and glad it is only for such a short and specific speed interval.

I now have about five thousand miles on this set up and have to say I am very pleased. BSW did an amazing job of taking a demanding request and making it happen with few trade off's. The entire point of this review is the bring up the point to those who are searching for upgrade to perhaps look past the standard aftermarket options.

I got a custom tuned suspension built to fit my truck installed and out the door from a local shop that will deal with any problems that come up for a lot less money then many of the big name suspension kits out there. I would wager, that there is a shop sort of like Boise Spring Works in most cities. So, if you are looking for a simple custom product that will preform as good as, if not better then one of the big names, do some research in your area. I very much doubt I could have gotten a suspension upgrade that is this well tuned for my specific needs from Icon, OME, Fox. Sure as heck could not get it for 1200 bucks.
perhaps this will help some one like me who uses their tacoma for truck stuff, sees the value in the stock package, but wants to meet the full potential the truck has to offer. Feel free to reach out with any questions. I will attempt to attach some pictures as I use the truck and suspension out in the Mountains here in Idaho. this would be an excelent option for those who are looking to build out a custom topper set up and toss in a bed set up with a few hundred pounds of overland gear.

Dirty truck/ dirt road picture, and in the parking sport picture were prior to upgrade. Others are post suspension upgrade

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Did they give you details on the springs, e.g. rates, free camber, stack height, etc? Sounds like they made you custom rear packs. Did they wind you new front springs, too?

The 5100 is an excellent shock and for the money it's a very high value. The step up to Bilstein or OME shocks and better springs is huge, that's for sure. I bet it rides a ton better.

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
They did not wind me new fronts. I chatted with them about it, but they said what was on there from the factory was in good shape. they said if I was going to do a winch and bumper, switch them out. if not, with the lighter 4 cyl in there, they should go good for a lot more miles.

I would need to dig into the finer details on the custom rear packs. Short answer, yes. But I can not recall the fine details. I will try and find this info and post them up alons with some pictures of the pack them selves. I do know they built them to hold and have good handling for a 1300 pound load. I will try and measure the thickness as well.

It is indeed, a huge difference. Night and day hands down the best money I have spent on the truck.

DaveInDenver

Just curious on the spring data to compare to OME Dakars (I run CS047R). Leaf springs aren't exactly rocket surgery do it's nice to have data to reference if someone is going to duplicate.

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
For sure.

I can do my best to get this information. What I have been able to find, is what the numbers say, and how they preform tend to be two different beasts all together. IE, the article they just did on air compressors. Advertised numbers vs real world performance.

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
I have not been able to find the data that was requested on my paperwork. It is a rather old school hand written carbon copy style write up. Grease marks and all. I like it.

I will try and swing by the shop this week and just ask the dudes who did the work them selves.

Clutch

<---Pass
BSW is about 10 minutes from my work, they are a Four Wheel Camper dealer too yeah? Thought using them if I ever went the 1/2 Ton FWC route. (one day! ;):) )

When I lived in Tucson, I almost had a set of custom springs built from a shop there. They did fix one of the broken stock spring packs once. IIRC it was $325 to fix one leaf, for a couple hundred bucks more could of bought 2 new OME spring packs...which I should of done in the first place since I broke the repair and the other side too. So when it came to building whole new spring packs it was far cheaper to go with the OME Dakar heavies for me. Which have been on the truck for I dunno 10-12 years and have roughly 250K miles on them. Albeit they were a little stiff for me the first couple years, but have settled in quite nicely. Have gone through several sets of shocks and bushings over the years. Springs are still holding up well though.

Have a Wildernest and Snugtop for it, when I have the SungTop on it, I pull one of the overloads and seems about perfect. Tried pulling the add-a-leaf once and was too soft.

While my truck is a daily, it does get used as a truck...anything from hauling camping gear, to fire wood, loads of dirt, bags a cement, etc...there are times I probably could use a bigger truck, but I make it work.

Last edited:

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
Yes. I am fairly sure they are a dealer. They said they do at least 40 tacomas a year when people are looking to run a FWC.
I looked long and hard at the Dakar Heavies. They are still on the table, but for the every day use it gets, They may be over kill. And, I was worried about getting more lift then I wanted. I have used them on work trucks in the past and know they are an awesome product. What I couldnt seem to get confirmation on was a specfic rating and useage review on LBS in the bed on a regular cab tacoma. But then again, my internet skills are weak at best.

Clutch

<---Pass
Yes. I am fairly sure they are a dealer. They said they do at least 40 tacomas a year when people are looking to run a FWC.
I looked long and hard at the Dakar Heavies. They are still on the table, but for the every day use it gets, They may be over kill. And, I was worried about getting more lift then I wanted. I have used them on work trucks in the past and know they are an awesome product. What I couldnt seem to get confirmation on was a specfic rating and useage review on LBS in the bed on a regular cab tacoma. But then again, my internet skills are weak at best.

The Dakar Heavies did have a little too much lift for my liking at first. But I used to carry 20 gallons of water as ballast rear of the axle by the tailgate for daily running around. Made it squat to where I wanted it and made the ride a bit better. Not exactly ideal, but when I lived in the desert, having 20 gallons of water with me wasn't necessarily a bad thing. imo.

I like my trucks at stock height...there was a time I was going to have a sprung under axle conversion to get some heavy duty springs without making the truck too high. But like anything, rather spend the money elsewhere...so the OME's were a compromise.

cdthiker

Meandering Idaho
I find that most things involving 4x4s are a compromise. At the end of the day, with out tossing a lot of money at a stock truck it is not going to be some wicked gnarly off roader. But a good set of tires and simple suspension will take the truck 99 percent of where most of us run our rigs. My thought process is that thousands of man hours went into making my tacoma the way it is. When you deviate from that reliblity goes down. For what ? appearance ? some increase in prowess? for me not worth it. When I retire my taco from DD work and it goes to being a fire wood and hunting truck il get the heavies and some tibrens, slap bigger brakes on it and haul a ton of fire wood. Till then, one can only dream and research

DaveInDenver

I find that most things involving 4x4s are a compromise...My thought process is that thousands of man hours went into making my tacoma the way it is. When you deviate from that reliblity goes down. For what ? appearance ? some increase in prowess?
Toyota didn't spend 1,000s of hours solely on reliability. All engineering is compromise and in the case of manufacturers engineering is compromising with marketing and accounting. There's no reason OEM is beyond reproach, otherwise why would there ever be recalls? I've had a few Toyotas now and I'm not sure Toyota even still build the best truck hand's down anymore and I certainly don't think they over build them like they did 25+ years ago. My feeling is my Taco is better described as more than adequate rather than indestructible like my FJ40 or even my 1991 maybe were. I think the Tacoma design assumption are more US-specific, meaning they don't necessarily expect it to bounce around for decades on unmaintained roads, getting oil changes ever few years like did/do with the Hilux and as a result there's more room for improvement after the fact.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior