tahoe with a 5 speed swap? tell me it is so...

alfio

Adventurer
i've been searching for some time but i cannot find it, pls tell me i'm not totally nuts.

i'm looking for a thread showing a white gmt400 Tahoe with a 5 speed manual swap. anybody know that thread?

thanks!

A.

greengreer

Adventurer
An nv4500 or 3500(I think thats what they used in 1/2t) wouldn't be terribly complex with a donor vehicle. The only thing I can imagine being "custom" would be the rear driveshaft length, especially if its a two door hoe. I doubt even the rcsb trucks are that short.

vintageracer

To Infinity and Beyond!
Chevy built 2 door Tahoe/Blazer's with a factory installed 5 speed transmissions. Those 5 speeds were not all that heavy duty however they should work fine for your application.

Find a Junkyard 5 Speed Pickup for all the parts you need.

Almost a bolt in project other than a hole in the firewall for the hydraulic master cylinder mounting.

DavidS

Observer
Id love to have a GMT-800 Tahoe/Burb with a manual..I cant even begin to express how much I hate the 4l60e. The engine just always feels like its struggling and wasting energy. Sorry got nothing to add, just commenting.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Id love to have a GMT-800 Tahoe/Burb with a manual..I cant even begin to express how much I hate the 4l60e. The engine just always feels like its struggling and wasting energy. Sorry got nothing to add, just commenting.

what size tires and gearing do you have, as that certainly hasn't been my experience with mine. Only problem I have is on long mountain grades when I get trapped in traffic and end up too low in the power band in 4th/overdrive. Maybe there's something actually wrong with yours?

alfio

Adventurer

Thanks - i'd found that one.

What i'm looking for is a different one. Its a thread with a white Tahoe (4dr). Really clean and well done swap. The owner was meticulous and the truck is super clean. There's extensive commentary from the owner about the swap but I don't think he was the OP.

I'm fairly certain it was on this board but it may be on one of the other Chevy boards I was looking at before I bought my Suburban (at the time I was looking at 1/2 Suburbans and Tahoes). Will keep looking - it bugs me to no end that I can totally visualize the thread but I can't find it:mad:

DavidS

Observer
what size tires and gearing do you have, as that certainly hasn't been my experience with mine. Only problem I have is on long mountain grades when I get trapped in traffic and end up too low in the power band in 4th/overdrive. Maybe there's something actually wrong with yours?

There is nothing wrong with it at all. It performs exactly as every other 4L60e I have experience with(5 to exact). I just hate it most of the time. Im running 265/65r18 tires and 3.73 gears. It wont stay locked up when I push the gas more than an 1/8th. I just dont like it at all. Ive considered billet servos etc etc etc but at the end of the day I just dont like it or the 5.3 simply doesnt have enough power for this vehicle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online