Taking the Full Time 4wd feature off 80 series

xwerx

Observer
Has anyone thought of doing this? Is it possible? Would it mess with traction control systems, etc.? I was thinking of maybe installing a AtlasII or something.. Just a thought, might help improve mpg..

Daniel

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Research Slee Offroad. I think they offer a Alltime to parttime conversion. Also invest some time reading on ih8mud.com

A

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
The 91/92 80s can be modified to do this, I forget who makes the kit, but for me, the money wasn't worth it, as you really don't gain much, either in performance or mileage.

93+ Landcruisers would need a transfer case swap, IIRC....

-H-

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
Mark's Adapters in Australia is the one that makes the kit. It is currently $525 AUD (~$480.00 USD). It is really designed for the 91-92 with the HF-2A transfer case. With the U.S. market 93+ with the HF-2AV, you will also need to remove the viscous coupler and you will lose the anti lock brakes.

Dave

sleeoffroad

Adventurer
We have them in stock. You do loose ABS when in 2wd, however in 4wd or with the hubs locked, the ABS still functions.

93 and later you remove the viscous coupler as stated. Also need a center diff lock switch to make it work.

blupaddler

Conspirator
Christo... has anyone reported what kind, if any, of mpg gains they received from this install?

thanks!

d0ubledown

Observer
from what ive read, mpg gains are marginal at best. nothing significant. most gains are seat of the pants feel. more nimble, less drag on the front end, and of course, less wear. to get a feel of what it'd be like, you could get a ctr diff lock button (if 93+), pull the front shaft and lock the ctr diff. effectively rwd...

search mud on this topic and you'll probably get some #'s..

sleeoffroad

Adventurer
Christo... has anyone reported what kind, if any, of mpg gains they received from this install?

thanks!

1 to 2 mpg have been reported. Not a lot. The main reason people put these on is less wear on the front end parts, especially if you run chromo birfs.

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I have a friend that did the conversion on his 96, which both his and mine are built very similar (4in,bumpers,35's, sliders, etc.). His isn't any faster while climbing hills nor does he get any noticeable mileage improvement (they get what they get). The only benefit that I can see is the front isn't turning. Slightly different feeling while driving.

Believe me, I was very against the full-time system on 80's and seriously considered converting mine (my LX when I first bought it). I came from a part-time 4wd world and never understood the reasoning behind the full-time system. After owning two of them, I plan to leave it just the way it is. It is very handy for changing weather, dirt roads, etc. Like most have said, no real improvement/benefit and the extensive posts on 'Mud bear this out. If you are planning on turning it into a trail only machine and are going to be running Longfields, then part-time away.

Putting in an Atlas opens a whole other can of worms (read modified to removal of gas tank, different/centered rear axle).

Jack

OneTime

Adventurer
I removed the front drive shaft on my 92 and locked the CDL for a month. I saw no improvment in MPG or power.

winkosmosis

Explorer
Unless you put in manual hubs, gas mileage won't improve. All the same parts are turning in 2WD, except the road is turning them.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I think the general consensus is that you'll get about the same performance and mileage gains as putting on a rear spoiler and painting racing strips on it....

:elkgrin:

-H-

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
I think the general consensus is that you'll get about the same performance and mileage gains as putting on a rear spoiler and painting racing strips on it....

-H-

The rear spoiler was an option, though.

blupaddler

Conspirator

-H-

Do "baja racing stripes" count?

If so I should be getting 40 mpg!
:costumed-smiley-007

Moody

Needs to get out more
Interesting topic. I have often wondered if the cost was worth it for the mileage increase (if any). This certainly answers the question.

Living in Utah, I like the full-time 4WD for the winter months, and I find through some of the more difficult 4WD sections, I can quickly lock the center diff and drop it into low gear without 4Lo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke