Talk me out of the TRD Pro

BlackdogGS

Observer
I've been looking for a new truck for some time now. I came close to ordering the new Jeep JL but I'm back to the Tacoma now. I was looking at these a few months ago but lost interest when I heard about the transmission issues. Has the hunting/sluggish problems been resolved? I'm a longtime Adventure motorcyclist, I'm not ready to give it up but will need to consider moving to 4 wheels in a few years. This will be a good start. I've owned 4X4's all my life. Thanks!Tacoma.png

https://www.toyota.com/configurator...5/packages/option89/accessories/R2-2T/modal/6

Dalko43

Explorer
I'm not sure how widespread these so-called "transmission issues" are.

In terms of gear hunting and sluggish engine characteristics, that's par for the course for Toyota's with the naturally aspirated v6. You're not going to be severely under-powered, but you'll also really have to put your foot in it and the transmission will have to downshift in order to attain any noticeable acceleration. That's just the way Toyota v6's are.

TRD Pro or not? If you want to modify the truck, maybe consider a lower trim. If you want to keep it stock, the TRD makes sense IMHO.

Clawhammer

Adventurer
If I were going to go with a TRD model, it wouldn't be the Pro (or the Sport), it would be the Off Road. The Pro's a nice truck, but I don't think you get extra bang for the extra bucks.

BlackdogGS

Observer
Thanks for the quick reply. I’ll take another look at the pro vs off road. Somehow I’ve gotten older and would rather buy the truck the way I want. A few years ago I’d buy a base model than replace the axles, gears, transfer case and sometimes engine. By the time I installed lockers, wheels, 35’s, etc, etc I’d always think I should have just bought a Rubicon to begin with.

Clutch

<---Pass
I'm not sure how widespread these so-called "transmission issues" are.

In terms of gear hunting and sluggish engine characteristics, that's par for the course for Toyota's with the naturally aspirated v6. You're not going to be severely under-powered, but you'll also really have to put your foot in it and the transmission will have to downshift in order to attain any noticeable acceleration. That's just the way Toyota v6's are.

TRD Pro or not? If you want to modify the truck, maybe consider a lower trim. If you want to keep it stock, the TRD makes sense IMHO.

I "think" the transmission issues are purely opinion. Believe a lot newbie Tacoma owners are coming from the Sports Sedan market..and expect the Tacoma to ride and drive like a Sports Sedan. At least that is my take from reading on TW. Or I might be a little bias since I believe car people are ruining trucks. ;) :D

OP: Don't buy a Pro. There you go! :D

Dalko43

Explorer
I "think" the transmission issues are purely opinion. Believe a lot newbie Tacoma owners are coming from the Sports Sedan market..and expect the Tacoma to ride and drive like a Sports Sedan. At least that is my take from reading on TW. Or I might be a little bias since I believe car people are ruining trucks. ;):D

I know exactly the type of people you're referring to. They're the same type who get into a duramax Colorado or ecodiesel Ram 1500 and complain about slower 0-60 times and "sluggish" engine response.

IMHO, part of the reason trucks, both diesel and gasoline, are somewhat hampered in fuel efficiency is because the OEM's feel obligated to cater towards the typical North American consumer who wants instant and powerful acceleration out of their +5k lb truck. Instead of tuning these engines for a compromise between performance and efficiency, the OEM's err on the side of performance in order to please that crowd...it's very annoying and I wish a lot of those yahoo's would stop buying trucks and go back to their BMW's, WRX's and crotch rockets.

sn_85

Observer
To OP. If you want the Pro just get the Pro. Also if you get the Pro don't do anything drastic to and keep it mostly stock. The resale value on those things are insane, especially if you get the special color. If you decide you want a Rubicon in 2 or 3 years you might get what you paid for back on the Pro just because it's a "Pro". If you plan to build up your rig and mod it out then get a TRD Off-Road.

I "think" the transmission issues are purely opinion. Believe a lot newbie Tacoma owners are coming from the Sports Sedan market..and expect the Tacoma to ride and drive like a Sports Sedan. At least that is my take from reading on TW. Or I might be a little bias since I believe car people are ruining trucks. ;):D

OP: Don't buy a Pro. There you go! :D

I recently test drove a Tacoma TRD Off-Road and couldn't stand the transmission gear hunting. It was quite noticeable and the Tacoma has a weird drone noise that annoyed me on two separate test drives. Currently have a 2016 4Runner and previously a 2007 Tacoma Pre-runner V6. So I don't think that experience is only limited to those coming from sport sedans.

Last edited:

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
Regards the Tacoma automatic transmissions, there was enough demand that Toyota has a software version they can flash into the controller to change the shift characteristics if you feel it's not crisp enough.

For 2nd gen: TSB-0373-09
For 3rd gen: TSB-0077-16

I don't know if this f/w is default for new production or if it's an optional fix such as the leaf spring upgrade used to be. On 2nd gen trucks you could ask the dealer to do TSB-0359-10, which was a fix if you thought the rear sagged too much. They would install up-rated springs with one leaf more than the stock packs. The ones they installed I understand were the OEM packs available as an option on commercial trucks in Canada and Mexico.

To the OP. The PRO is generally assumed to be not valuable in the sense that you can build up a plain SR5 into a PRO for less money on technical merits but you don't get the exclusive stickers and creature comforts. My $0.02 is that it's not worth the money since you can get better FOX shocks aftermarket (plus they'll be adjustable) that you can get rebuilt just about anywhere, an Air Locker and better skid plates cheaper but when you do those modifications you're not going to have a factory warranty on them.

I don't blame the fella who can afford a PRO and uses it like it's supposed to be used but wants to keep a bumper-to-bumper warranty. Not that Toyota is gonna honor it if you break something offroad, but we all know none of our truck ever have seen 4wd low, much less a trail, when talking to the service writer, right?

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
I should mention that I own a TRD Offroad and I think as a turn-key option it's the best value but even so if I was going to buy another it would be a SR or SR5. About the only thing retained on my truck that the TRD OR package got is the locker and rims (and as soon as I get enough money to powder coat them, I have a set of steel wheels). I bought it used and my primary criteria was a manual transmission and Access Cab. It took me a few months to find this one so I couldn't be picky.

Which reminds me, one reason to get a PRO is you can still get the 6 speed manual in it. The PRO and TRD Offroad are the only models that still have it as an option. You can only get automatics on all the other trims, at least in my region. But since you're asking about hunting that is obviously not something you're concerned with.

colin_r6

I've got a TRD OffRoad, Access Cab, 6MT.
I don't think the Pro is worth the $, the only big ticket item that is worth the cost is the Fox suspension - and that only lifts the front end 1 inch. All the other stuff is overpriced plastic.
I would have gotten an SR5 and built it up if I could have gotten an MT in it.

As to the Auto Trans, sounds like its just a slow learner. Lots of people on Tacoma World are happy with it after a few thousand miles. Either the AT adjusts to the driver, or the driver to the AT in those cases.

Clutch

<---Pass
I know exactly the type of people you're referring to. They're the same type who get into a duramax Colorado or ecodiesel Ram 1500 and complain about slower 0-60 times and "sluggish" engine response.

IMHO, part of the reason trucks, both diesel and gasoline, are somewhat hampered in fuel efficiency is because the OEM's feel obligated to cater towards the typical North American consumer who wants instant and powerful acceleration out of their +5k lb truck. Instead of tuning these engines for a compromise between performance and efficiency, the OEM's err on the side of performance in order to please that crowd...it's very annoying and I wish a lot of those yahoo's would stop buying trucks and go back to their BMW's, WRX's and crotch rockets.

^this^

There are threads on TW, on what fluff people wish these trucks had...it is ridiculous.

These trucks were never meant to be performance vehicles. Meant to putt around and be light utility/weekend warrior vehicles.

I recently test drove a Tacoma TRD Off-Road and couldn't stand the transmission gear hunting. It was quite noticeable and the Tacoma has a weird drone noise that annoyed me on two separate test drives. Currently have a 2016 4Runner and previously a 2007 Tacoma Pre-runner V6. So I don't think that experience is only limited to those coming from sport sedans.

Not my experience with the 3rd gens. Have driven both the V6 and I4. I could barely tell when it shifted. Didn't notice a drone either. It really comes down do personal opinion on how the Tacoma "feels"

Dalko43

Explorer
The transmission is going to hunt for gears in these V6 Toyota's. It does that in the 4runner with 5 speed/4.0l combo. It does it in the previous gen Tacoma with the similar powertrain. These engines pretty much need to downshift in order to get power for passing, hills, towing, ect. That's just the way they are. It's not necessarily a problem, you just need to be aware that it happens.

Timcampsallover

Tree top flyer
Good advice in these posts. My suggestion also would be to get the Off Road if it will be a long term keeper. The gen 3 starts with some more of the usual mods I and others have made to their 2gen TRD OR’s but the factory rear locker was the deciding factor for me. If you want the Tacoma to deliver the performance of a 2500 with a diesel.....I’m sure you know...... it will never happen.

I will have spent what I paid for my 2015 again by the time I’m done making it what I want ...so my only other suggestion would be to strongly consider what your intended use will be, and if the stock platform has what it takes ....or is close, then you can likely limit your cost making your Tacoma .....better, to your purchase price, tires, etc.

MTSN

Explorer
TRD off road is the better value if you're going to mod, but TRD pro holds its value better if you leave it stock or only lightly mod. One consideration is if you can even get a pro however. At the local dealers in Denver, they're extremely rare to be in stock and gone immediately - my guess is at full price or even above sticker.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior