Tandem axle load equalizers. LCI Equa Flex vs CRE3000

rebar

Adventurer
Hey everyone..

I'm having a custom 7x16 narrow track enclosed trailer built so I have the ability to specify almost anything.. Since I'm installing two 50 gallon water tanks and the trailer will be packed with as much glamping gear I can stuff in plus a few motorcycles, Ive decided to install tandem 7k 8 lug axles on 3500# springs. No torsion axles or independent..

Ive found a couple different load equalizers that look nice (LCI Equa Flex , CRE3000) but wonder what else maybe available.. Anyone have additional recommendations for tandem axles?

Thanks!

jwiereng

Hard to imagine a few bikes, water and gear, plus trailer would equal 7,000 lbs.

What kind of motorcycles?

Ride will be harsh if springs are too stiff for the load.

rebar

Adventurer
Hard to imagine a few bikes, water and gear, plus trailer would equal 7,000 lbs.

What kind of motorcycles?

Ride will be harsh if springs are too stiff for the load.

Yes I'm over estimating, but better safe than sorry.. I also want 8 lug 16"rims on the trailer.

The trailer itself is around 3000. I figured 1500 for two worst case street bikes, but I usually take DRZ's. Adding 835 for the water then only needs another 1500 of gear/tools/crap to reach 7000. Upgrading or replacing bent trailer axles is expensive, but over building from the beginning, not so much and de-leafing leaf springs is easy.

I found another equalizer from Lippert called the Centerpoint equalizer.. It uses air bags instead of rubber.

Last edited:

dreadlocks

I have tandem 3500# dexter torsion axles, they are fantastic.. whats your reasoning behind avoiding them? they work really well for toy haulers because the weight range between empty and loaded is so wide and they drive great in either situation.. plus you get extra clearance and all 4 wheels can move independently down washboards without all the racket.

jwiereng

You’re correct. Defoliating the springs is easy and surely cheaper than underestimating and ending up with damage.

rebar

Adventurer
I have tandem 3500# dexter torsion axles, they are fantastic.. whats your reasoning behind avoiding them? they work really well for toy haulers because the weight range between empty and loaded is so wide and they drive great in either situation.. plus you get extra clearance and all 4 wheels can move independently down washboards without all the racket.

I owned a pair of nice 5200 dexter torsions and they have there place, but read enough on this forum to decide on leaf springs. On top of the things learned, I couldn't mix and match axles and springs using torsions. Im sure in my travels I will completely unload one axle some day.. Two wheels spinning in the air maybe. If I dont use 7k axles, I would surely bend one. Im going to need bump stops also.

dreadlocks

hrmm, ive had 2 wheels in air plenty of time and no bent axles yet (does it every time I put it in back yard, at least).. but I've yet to reach weight capacity, needa weigh in this year now that I have it loaded out but I'm thinking I'm around 5k right now.. I think it just bottoms out over capacity, not that the axles will bend.. the subframe piece is super solid piece of square steel tube bolted directly to the frame, thats surely capable of overloading significantly, at least if crawling around slowly..

I think the key is setting it up so it rides level when on flat ground, so both axles split static load evenly and get full travel otherwise you could wear out the torsion unevenly on front/rear racking up miles with one doing more work than the other.. they can both take the load of the other momentarily or else they would never be suitable for any tandem use.

Last edited:

rebar

Adventurer
Two of four wheels in the air in you back yard? Wow, try that fully loaded. Why couldn't your torsion axle bend if you over loaded one of them?

What happens to torsion's used off road is the dust gets in there and tears up the rubber. And you cant fix them, only replace.

I talked to a couple who bent both axles of a bigfoot on the yukon highway, and alaska's on my bucket list.

dreadlocks

just going over the curb im on two wheels.. they dont bend.. I am fully loaded I suppose.. dunno what I could put in here to get close to +2k more pounds.. I aint carrying harleys around.. I guess if you plan on hitting 100% capacity then overbuilding axles might not be a bad idea.

I'm going to alaska in it in the next few years, bent axle is least of my concerns.. dust getting in em and tearing em up? is that a real thing or just one guys blog post from a decade ago? cuz they use the same axles on military trailers and in tandem setups just fine.. shrug, I guess I'll cross that theoretical bridge when I get there.. yeah they could eventually wear out, but so do tires and brakes and batteries and I bet I'll spend more far money on them than axles in the next few decades.. If I wear out an axle I admit I'll be a lil proud I got that much use out of em..

These are pretty solid, would take a hell of alot to bend em:

Last edited:

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
Better off going heavier single axle with long leaf springs and dampers in the bush.
Then wheels and tyres shold be identical to the tow vehicle.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

jwiereng

Please provide source for long leaf springs.

Many use truck, Jeep or samurai springs. I’d like to know the load ratings before buying springs.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
We still have spring makers in Australia, I am sure you do too? They will make spring packs to any specification you want.
Truck springs are typically unsuitable - too short and too stiff. The packs in the rear of my vehicle are about 1400mm eye to eye and have a load rating of 3.8T for the axle with lots of travel. Fronts are a tad shorter with fewer leaves and a load rating of 2.8T.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

rebar

Adventurer
Better off going heavier single axle with long leaf springs and dampers in the bush.
Then wheels and tyres shold be identical to the tow vehicle.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

I considered single axle, but 7000# is to much for two LT tires.. Which tires would handle that weight?

jwiereng

Have you considered a walking beam type suspension. I recall seeing an OZ built caravan with a walking beam suspension. looked like it worked well crossing ruts and bumps.

Timbren has a variant called Silent Ride. might be worth considering.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior