Tanzania

preacherman

Explorer
I leave Monday for a trip to Tanzania to travel around the country in a 1994 Landcruiser Prodo with a buddy. He is a missionary and I am a minister (as you might have guessed by the "preacherman" name). Nothing to extreme but lots of Bush travel, 4x4's and open country. We are not camping but instead staying with villagers from local churches so we should not have as much gear. The cool thing is what we would call "expeditions" missionaries call "getting to work". I will try and post some pics here whenever we hit cities and can post. It's a short trip just a few weeks. If your inclined to drop a prayer to the big guy for us.

DaktariEd

2005, 2006 Tech Course Champion: Expedition Trophy
"Been there, done that..."
From 1995 to 2002, in the Western Province of Kenya, almost every summer we did medical missions with the suppoirt of the small local churches.
Great experience, wonderful people. The most generous people I have ever encountered.

One experience still stands out. Though we didn't charge for the services and meds we provided, one old woman wanted to pay us for the care we gave her grandchildren. She gave us two chicken eggs. Incredible. Remind you of any biblical passages?

Bwana asifiwe!
:sombrero:
Ed

PS...if you've never been before it will be a life-changing experience. :victory:

preacherman

Explorer
After 39 hours of flying and 8884 miles I got to Africa. We spent the day yesterday traveling to a village about 3 hours away to meet with locals and deliver food. We had to cross Lake Victoria on a ferry and then traveled by Landcruiser to a town called Ibondo. It was only about 60 miles but it took us over 3 hours. The last 4 miles where off trail completely. Each of the missionaries here have 100 series turbo diesels, but there is one 80, one prado, and a 4 door hardbody. The roads here are the worst I have ever been on in my life but the landcruisers eat it up. The main roads here are much worse than most 4x4 roads in the states. It also has been raining a lot so the roads are very torn up and there is lots of mud. Check out the picks. The mud hole was about 2-4 feet deep. The bus driver tried to make it and sunk about 3 feet. Next week we cross the Serengeti in a Prado.
DSC_0113.jpg

mudholeadjusted.jpg

fj80adjusted.jpg

preacherman

Explorer
We just got back last night from our 4x4 trip across the Serengeti, rift valley, and Norogoto (sp?) crater. The prado did well but the roads where so bad we completely blew out the rear shocks and went through several shock bushings before the shocks crapped out. Changing a shock bushing is no problem. Changing one while keeping an eye out for lions is a TRIP!!! The rainy season has lasted longer than usual here leaving many roads almost impassable. Most of the river crossing where bad and we saw several trucks lost while crossing. One was a Laurie (sp?). If something that big gets swept downriver you know that water is flowing. We camped the whole way and just arraigned food with locals. It was a great drive. The rain has played havoc on the roads turning bad 4x4 roads into swamps. We got stuck pretty bad once and had to help out three or four other trucks as well. Some of the worst water crossing had crocs and hippos at them leaving us with a pretty uneasy feeling. Luckily we made it through. I would have hated to pull a line there.

I will try to post some pics soon. My computer has been having problems. I think it might have something to do with taking a regular dell laptop across Africa with the windows rolled down…Time to start saving for that toughbook.

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Great stories! Thanks for sharing, and do post more when you can.

The truck was probably referred to as a lorrie, a generic term for a truck rather than a specific model.

You definitely took on a challenge tackling Tanzania after the heavy December rains in the region.

flywgn

Explorer
Many thanks for you account and pix.

That mud is probably a lot worse in real life, but it looks really bad on my screen.

Allen R

pwc

Explorer
Thanks for the updates! keep them coming.
"...Africa with the windows rolled down..." that's gotta be easier than rolling down the MACs. :p

preacherman

Explorer
more pics

Here are some pics including one of the truck. It was a Mercedes truck. The lions where in the road and we had to wait for like 20 minutes before we could pass them. We rolled the windows up for that.

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0079-1.jpg

DSC_0141.jpg

kcowyo

ExPo Original
Good grief!!

DSC_0079-1.jpg

Off camber has nothing on this pucker factor! Great write up so far! :clapsmile

Be safe -

RedDog

Explorer
As a cat guy, I've got to love a big cat that challenges a truck to swing outside.

Cats rule. Dogs drool.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior