Tatra vs MB crewcab 6x6

Sitec

Adventurer
When I was looking for my truck, I seriously considered importing a low km 1731AK and then converting it to RHD. I looked into the logistics of it all and deemed it too hard. If the budget is there, bringing both trucks over would certainly be the best option... but by the time you do the swap, sell the other truck, it's a lot of work. Even with the higher price of the Tatra, it would prob still work out cheaper. Difficult one! :)

Sitec

Adventurer
Just looking closer at that Tatra... do you need to extend it? With the cab being so low, you could build a large sleeping pod atop that cab... negating the eed to extend the chassis. ( Just for the record I'd still buy the Merc! ;) )

bowpay

And here's the SK or later cab with tapered door glass.

Gotcha. Wish I had another option for a crewcab. The seats are getting replaced but I see what you mean. I even thought about having a fabricator build a crewcab using two cabs.

bowpay

Just looking closer at that Tatra... do you need to extend it? With the cab being so low, you could build a large sleeping pod atop that cab... negating the eed to extend the chassis. ( Just for the record I'd still buy the Merc! ;) )

I would have to extend the frame of the Tatra to get a 24ft box on it. The Tatra has about 16.5ft of frame as it stands with the fire tank box removed.

bowpay

Found a 1234 but it's a 1996. One year newer than the 25 year rule. Wonder if USA customs looks at the box or frame/engine.

Attachments

• $_3 (3).jpg
    $_3 (3).jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 19

Sitec

Adventurer
Found a 1234 but it's a 1996. One year newer than the 25 year rule. Wonder if USA customs looks at the box or frame/engine.

Bingo! There's your late cab for the 2631SK! (Think that's the factory cab too)... I'm guessing if we are having this discussion, you are also leaning towards the Mercedes option. Soooo. Next suggestion... Where is the 2631SK located in relation to the 1234? I wouldn't entertain the import of the 1234 if it's not old enough (unless you can own it for a year over there, and then bring it in in late 2020). You'll think this mad (but cost it all before discounting the idea)... I would be flying over for 3 weeks, buying both trucks, finding a workshop there and swapping the cabs and then getting the 2631AK ready for shipping. Find some storage for the 1234 and sit on it (if budget allows). It will sell well as its a late 4x4 with decent power and will soon have a decent large day cab. One of those two sellers will have the facilities to do the swap. If you get really stuck, I have free storage options in France and UK for one of the trucks if you need a year with it sat... The UK option would be covered at my fathers place... Exciting times!!

bowpay

Bingo! There's your late cab for the 2631SK! (Think that's the factory cab too)... I'm guessing if we are having this discussion, you are also leaning towards the Mercedes option. Soooo. Next suggestion... Where is the 2631SK located in relation to the 1234? I wouldn't entertain the import of the 1234 if it's not old enough (unless you can own it for a year over there, and then bring it in in late 2020). You'll think this mad (but cost it all before discounting the idea)... I would be flying over for 3 weeks, buying both trucks, finding a workshop there and swapping the cabs and then getting the 2631AK ready for shipping. Find some storage for the 1234 and sit on it (if budget allows). It will sell well as its a late 4x4 with decent power and will soon have a decent large day cab. One of those two sellers will have the facilities to do the swap. If you get really stuck, I have free storage options in France and UK for one of the trucks if you need a year with it sat... The UK option would be covered at my fathers place... Exciting times!!

I would rather sell the other rig although would be cool to own both. I really need the money for the expedition build and probably won't need a single cab until the kids are out of the house which would be 12-15 years. It looks like one is in Norway and the other in Germany. Sounds like a bit of a pain but I think I am pretty good with these trucks. Is the 310HP engine upgradable? I've seen a couple of others that have 400hp+. Are these the same engine only tuned different?

Sitec

Adventurer
I would rather sell the other rig although would be cool to own both. I really need the money for the expedition build and probably won't need a single cab until the kids are out of the house which would be 12-15 years. It looks like one is in Norway and the other in Germany. Sounds like a bit of a pain but I think I am pretty good with these trucks. Is the 310HP engine upgradable? I've seen a couple of others that have 400hp+. Are these the same engine only tuned different?

Germany and Norway are not that far apart... I'd be talking to both sellers and explaning what you want to do, and then seeing which one will/could do it. There's a fella building overland trucks over there somewhere. He'd be the fella that'd buy the single cab 4x4. One of the sellers or the builder (look up BoXmanufaktur on Faceplant) would have the facilities to do the swap. Re engines, the V6 is only good for 340hp (turbo and huge intercooler). 350hp to 500hp is V8 country, but to be honest 340 would be plenty for 15 to 16 tonne 6x6.

DiploStrat

Expedition Leader
Hi guys, I gave up on my previous post and narrowed down between a Tatra 815 crewcab 6x6 with a Cummins or a MB AF 6x6 for a stretched North America expedition vehicle. The Tatra is in the US while I would have to import the MB. MB is probably about $20-30k cheaper but a 1991 vs a 2003 Tatra. I am sure the Tatra is more capable but with the stretch it might not matter. Looking at a 24ft bed. Thought or concerns? Good and bad?

6x6? For North America? Owning a MB 917AF 4x4 I would vote for a Ford/Chevrolet/RAM two ton or perhaps a larger International, 6x4 if you must have three axles.

Despite your best efforts, you are going to be on motorways and paved roads 95% of the time and a top speed of 55 MPH at an ear numbing 2500 RPM gets old, fast.

Europe and Africa, I might prefer the MB, but not in the US or Canada.

YMMV.

bowpay

6x6? For North America? Owning a MB 917AF 4x4 I would vote for a Ford/Chevrolet/RAM two ton or perhaps a larger International, 6x4 if you must have three axles.

Despite your best efforts, you are going to be on motorways and paved roads 95% of the time and a top speed of 55 MPH at an ear numbing 2500 RPM gets old, fast.

Europe and Africa, I might prefer the MB, but not in the US or Canada.

YMMV.

I have a call in with a Tatra mechanic. Waiting to find out about the stretch. I was told that the Tatra could run 70 and cruise at 65. I agree on how much off-road but for the 5% it makes the build worth it. If I can get the Tatra for a decent deal I would probably go that direction. Cummins makes me feel much better in the US. I can actually buy parts at AutoZone or Napa. I love the MB though but the cost and time is making me worry. The biggest thing that has me looking back at the Tatra is the independent suspension. I don't think I realized that to begin with. I bet it drives really nice. Wonder if the subframe would be simpler to build due to the independent suspension? Found a guy near Seattle that is going to build it.

bowpay

Germany and Norway are not that far apart... I'd be talking to both sellers and explaning what you want to do, and then seeing which one will/could do it. There's a fella building overland trucks over there somewhere. He'd be the fella that'd buy the single cab 4x4. One of the sellers or the builder (look up BoXmanufaktur on Faceplant) would have the facilities to do the swap. Re engines, the V6 is only good for 340hp (turbo and huge intercooler). 350hp to 500hp is V8 country, but to be honest 340 would be plenty for 15 to 16 tonne 6x6.
I have a few emails out. I am leaning back towards the Tatra. Parts in the US and independent suspension are 2 huge bonuses. Is there anything that can be done to get more than 55mph out of the MB? 65 would be a better cruising speed.

Neil

Observer
This guy is called Chris. He lives in Ireland and is a friend of mine.

It might be worth a chat with him before you make the decision.

He is a really nice bloke so I know he will answer any questions you might have

Neil

jeno

Wonder if the subframe would be simpler to build due to the independent suspension? Found a guy near Seattle that is going to build it.

I don't think the Tatra needs a pivoting subframe due to the rigid chassis. See at 1:30 in this video.

This guy is called Chris. He lives in Ireland and is a friend of mine.

It might be worth a chat with him before you make the decision.

He is a really nice bloke so I know he will answer any questions you might have

Neil

It looks like he is doing a rigid non-pivoting sub frame as well.

http://tatraoverlandtruckbuild.blogspot.com/2016/10/sub-frame-attached-to-chassis.html

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94