Teardrop Camper Layout Design

Teardropper

would be to make a rotational mold

That's over my pay grade. ; ) Make sure you proceed with this build and take lots of photos. I wanna see this thing born.

Why only one door? My wife would do an eye roll --both for convenience and also for bedmaking --which is a lot easier when both of us are working from each side.

T

Last edited:

motas

Adventurer
That's over my pay grade. ; ) Make sure you proceed with this build and take lots of photos. I wanna see this thing born.

Why only one door? My wife would do an eye roll --both for convenience and also for bedmaking --which is a lot easier when both of us are working from each side.

T
To be honest, I'm leaning more towards the composite panel as it'll be less time consuming to build for a one off, plus the main benefit of moulding is how much more complex the shape can be but I've reduced it to simple flat panels anyway. I can post some pictures of the horse trailer once the mold is finished. We'll be doing the world's first horse trailer crash test so it will definitely show the robustness. Or I may change my mind in the mean time anyway.

Additional doors or windows just need to be cut out, doesn't change any design or molding. I originally didn't have one on the other side because there was a spare tyre there, but I've moved that to the back now anyway. Would lose a little bit of internal shelving but nothing much. Probably a good idea to put one in, plus it makes it symmetrical which just always seems nice.

Teardropper

I can post some pictures of the horse trailer once the mold is finished.

I'd be curious. And I assume the crash test is something you guys are volunteering to do and not mandatory?

I assume you have a significant other so think about this in reference to two doors. Pretend your bed--in your home--is boxed in so that only one side is exposed and mentally watch the two of you getting in and out of the bed.

T

motas

Adventurer
I'd be curious. And I assume the crash test is something you guys are volunteering to do and not mandatory?

I assume you have a significant other so think about this in reference to two doors. Pretend your bed--in your home--is boxed in so that only one side is exposed and mentally watch the two of you getting in and out of the bed.

T
I've added a door on the other side. I guess I was thinking of it like a tent and crawling over one another, but you're right for the sake of a second door it'll be worth it.

No, crash testing isn't mandatory (we only have to comply with regular trailer standards), nor has anyone else done it. Horse trailers are basically just box trailers and most accidents ends up with the horse badly injured or dead. We're hoping there's a market for horse trailers more in line with automotive safety and comfort than trailers. We're testing a suspension system which works well with the massive weight variance, the body will be fully insulated to keep it cool and quiet and we have a restraint system like a seat belt to keep the horse restrained in an accident. I was previously a road safety engineer so we have a fair bit of crash testing and automotive safety experience to bring across.

With our supply chain we'd easily be able to make campers like this as well, which I'd love to do for my personal interest, but it is such a crowded market with so many different companies making great products I'm not sure it would be the smartest investment or what we would do substantially different/better. Maybe one day!

Teardropper

We're hoping there's a market for horse trailers more in line with automotive safety

Having been a horse owner and living where there are lots of horses used for both work and pleasure, I'm sure there is. Folks really value their animals. We have a horse sale here (Salmon Select) that is a big deal with lots of $20,000 horses being sold.

T

motas

Adventurer
Having been a horse owner and living where there are lots of horses used for both work and pleasure, I'm sure there is. Folks really value their animals. We have a horse sale here (Salmon Select) that is a big deal with lots of $20,000 horses being sold.

T
I've even read a study that horses who have decreased stress in transport perform measurably better in a race. If we can prove that's true for our trailer the market could be huge!

Another day, another camper idea though.

Putting the bed sideways above the wheels makes the body width marginally wider, but the overall width narrower. It increases the height a bit, but could potentially decrease the length a lot if the kitchen goes under the bed. It gives a nice spot to sit down inside and the potential for an airplane style table to eat or work at, but it makes getting in and out of bed a little trickier. It gives a bunch of under bed storage, and somewhere to take your shoes off, but no external storage. I'm also not sure where the fridge would fit into this. It could maybe go under the back of the bed, but it wouldn't be very convenient.
1580855733578.png

Teardropper

There is something to be said about a traditional teardrop galley.

SiPFaz7.jpg

Food, water, beer, stove.... And the Propex heater behind the cooler.

Just saying, ; )

Tony

motas

Adventurer
There is something to be said about a traditional teardrop galley.

SiPFaz7.jpg

Food, water, beer, stove.... And the Propex heater behind the cooler.

Just saying, ; )

Tony
Something like this would give me the weather coverage I want to have. The original goal was to try and stay away from setting up canvas though.
1580874909272.png
Out of interest, what's the weather like where you're from?

I've always wondered why teardrop (and similar) campers never really took off in Australia like they seem to in America.

99% of camper trailers here are like this:
1580875092998.png

motas

Adventurer
Taking this concept a bit further, I've got it down to a 2.8m body length. Width is a little wider than I'd like at 2.1m, but that is the total width including wheels. I could "cheat" a little and put a slightly smaller mattress in, a double bed would bring it down to 1.95m. Height is 1.5m at the moment.

Inside there is room for the full queen size bed, separate seating with a fold down table, a fridge and if desired a toilet. There is plenty of room on the floor for a decent inflatable mattress for a third person, and room under the bed for a water tank and some storage.

Outside is much the same with the slide out kitchen and a storage box on the front. Awning options are pretty much all the same again. Best options would be a 270° awning or a rigid slide out awning.

1580879974765.png

Teardropper

Out of interest, what's the weather like where you're from?

I've always wondered why teardrop (and similar) campers never really took off in Australia like they seem to in America.

99% of camper trailers here are like this:

I'm in the middle of Idaho –western U.S.– in the Rocky Mountains. We usually camp above 6,000' and get about 12" (30 CM) of moisture annually and most of that is in the winter.

mmpg7XC.jpg

When we need shade or it looks like a thunderstorm, we'll set up our awning. It's quick and easy.

I know folks like their rooftop tents. To me, one would still be a tent. I assume they still take a beating in the wind and get put away wet from time to time.

There is no setup time with a teardrop. If we need to take a nap en route on some fine adventure, we pull over and nap. The ones I have built are insulated. They have a vent fan that keeps us cool when it's hot and a Propex heater (in ours) for when it's cold. There's an onboard 12V system for lights and phone charging.

And you surely don't need to use a ladder to take a pee in the middle of the night.

So I don't get why they aren't more popular over there either. Maybe if you've never seen one, they stay below your radar. I do know of a few build logs over at TNTTT.COM on your side of the pond.

Tony

motas

Adventurer
Interesting, I've just looked into the weather here. We get about double the rainfall, spread over about 40% more rainy days. Our record maximum and minimum is 44°C (111°F) and -6°C (20°F). We're in a relatively cold and dry area. We have no where near the altitude of the Rocky's, the highest mountain in Australia i only 7,300', we obviously have a lot of outback and heat though in other parts.

I had a hard lid rooftop tent for a while. It was terribly cheap and dodgy, but I loved it until it broke. Even hard lid rooftop tents are only just starting to take off here, 90% are the ARB style flip over ones, which I agree are basically a tent with a ladder.

I've looked into making panels, I do have some (limited) experience with composites and could probably do it acceptably. But there are a few good companies around who specialize in making and cutting panels for custom trailers for fairly reasonable prices, especially for something this small. The accuracy, quality, flatness and speed are way too appealing for me to bother with DIY. Plus I'd have to buy a vacuum pump, a router, make jigs to cut it with etc. Their thickest panels are around $150-180/m2 ($10-12USD/ft2) already CNC cut to shape.

billiebob

Sliding hard roof with full extension slides, probably made from fiberglass or a composite panel.

I'm thinking it could possibly have partial walls dropping down the side as well.

I haven't been able to find any examples of something like this though.

The other option is a caravan style retractable awning but it would not be very neat sticking out each side of the roof.
I agree completely, I'm not a fan of tacked on awnings.... or anything else "tacked on".

The best ideas are still in the mind.

john61ct

Adventurer
pentagon with one section taken out

yes nasty connotations that

but good coverage, very quick to set up, robust design

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior