Tell me about the "dark side"...

MCObray

Explorer
I made the leap from Jeep to a 3rd gen 4runner about a year ago. I had a 1999 Cherokee with lots of goodies, very similar to yours in fact, and loved to take it to Rausch Creek here in PA. It did fantastic on the rocks and carrying me and the dog around, but when we put the rest of the family in there it was bare bones to say the least. It was just a tad too small and some of my "mods" (removing carpet) weren't really family friendly. I couldn't complain about the reliability as I was really familar with the platform and did most of the work myself. I guess I was blessed to have a trustworthy Jeep.

Next up was my wifes Liberty. I never really liked it and sold it for $ to search for a 4Runner.

I have a 1999 4Runner Highlander with a supercharged 3.4, leather, manual, and the e-locker. I wanted something that I could basically get in and drive it where I wanted to, as modifications are on the backburner for a bit. It is a rare beast but it's been a ton of work so far. I can't stress finding out the trucks maintenance history enough! So far I've done a head gasket, timing belt, water pump, a bunch of sensors, and repaired a vacuum leak on the supercharger. Now it's humming and I see that I have a good rig but it didn't start out that way! I paid $6k for it with 155k miles on it but I've sunk close to $3k in it to get it going right.

I like the size, it seems just a little bigger in the cargo area and maybe a little wider than the Cherokee. Be very patient and get out there and drive a few just to see what you think.

Thank you for sharing your experience. It sounds very similar to my situation, so it's great to be able to hear someone who has gone the same process, that I am about to. That's another good point, I need to get behind the wheel of one and feel it out, nonetheless though I am pretty set of making the move. Again, thanks for chiming in, it is appreciated!

3rd gens are great. Have a buddy with a trouble free 300,000mi 3rd gen. Watch the lower ball joints. I have seen 2 fail (spindle disconnects in motion).

I have a 10 year old 4th gen with 105,000. It has been great. Everything is holding up surprisingly well.

Yes, I caught the issue on the lower ball joints on the 4Runners Buyer Guide... thanks for pointing that out again!

These keep sound more and more stout!

Frank

Explorer
McObray, I think we are attached at the brain somehow. I have a 4runner itch too. I love my trooper but this 11-12mpg is killing me and I need 4wd/SUV.

I am considering a small business venture and if I do, I think a 4runner will be in my driveway by mid-summer.

Seek out the absolute right one and hold out for the right $$ on your Jeep. It is a beautiful rig.

MCObray

Explorer
McObray, I think we are attached at the brain somehow. I have a 4runner itch too. I love my trooper but this 11-12mpg is killing me and I need 4wd/SUV.

I am considering a small business venture and if I do, I think a 4runner will be in my driveway by mid-summer.

Seek out the absolute right one and hold out for the right $$ on your Jeep. It is a beautiful rig.

Frank,

Hey!

Yeah, the only thing holding me back right now is the fact that I live 70 miles away from home, and my Jeep is the transportation to get me back home on the weekend. The other car I occasionally drive, is currently being operated by my girlfriend, who also is at home 70 miles away. So once both vehicles are here, I will go ahead and post it for sale... Hell I might even post it in a few days and just make it clear that the vehicle won't be available til' January.

Thanks man, and this is something I am really going to dig deep into and find the exact model, options, etc. that I want for the right price, and the right mileage. I will definitely hold out on a buyer, as they will be getting one clean XJ with a solid base platform to go off of.

idaxj97

Adventurer
Well, MCObray, frank, i too am looking at replacing my beloved jeep with a 3rd gen 4runner. My wife hates the jeep and im getting frustrated with all the little crap that is going wrong, so MCObray good luck on your search and think you for starting this thread and is helping us in our searches.

Frank

Explorer
One real noob question...is there a switch for the e-locker? Does the locker come on all models from 99-01 or just the limited?

J

JWP58

One real noob question...is there a switch for the e-locker? Does the locker come on all models from 99-01 or just the limited?

Yes there is a push button for the locker. I believe it only comes on TRD models.

NH Moto Expo

Adventurer
I bought an Xj based on some of the rigs I've seen here...plus it was getting too cold to ride my motorcycle in NH. I could find Xj's all over so I bought one to see if it was for me. Well...it cool and all and looks the part but it's not at all comfortable for getting to a trail. Once there it's awesome but daily driving all that tupperware around really has me disliking it. The only other vehicle I'm considering besides a T4R would be a Montero. I like the fact the spare is on the outside and they seem to be very durable. Have you looked at Mitsubishi's?
I'll keep my XJ through the winter then sell it next spring and ride my motorcycle until I find either a 4runner or a Montero with less than 140,000 miles. Are there years that are prone to the frame rot like the early Tundras and Tacomas?

MCObray

Explorer
Well, MCObray, frank, i too am looking at replacing my beloved jeep with a 3rd gen 4runner. My wife hates the jeep and im getting frustrated with all the little crap that is going wrong, so MCObray good luck on your search and think you for starting this thread and is helping us in our searches.

I guess that makes three of us! I can relate to you with the lady not enjoying the ride... and it's just not a prissy thing, she likes being out and about. Thank you idaxj97, and you as well when comes to your search! If you happen to get something before I do, let us know!

I bought an Xj based on some of the rigs I've seen here...plus it was getting too cold to ride my motorcycle in NH. I could find Xj's all over so I bought one to see if it was for me. Well...it cool and all and looks the part but it's not at all comfortable for getting to a trail. Once there it's awesome but daily driving all that tupperware around really has me disliking it. The only other vehicle I'm considering besides a T4R would be a Montero. I like the fact the spare is on the outside and they seem to be very durable. Have you looked at Mitsubishi's?
I'll keep my XJ through the winter then sell it next spring and ride my motorcycle until I find either a 4runner or a Montero with less than 140,000 miles. Are there years that are prone to the frame rot like the early Tundras and Tacomas?

That's what I am getting at... it's not quite as comfortable for me as I would like. It's been a great, great vehicle, but I feel as if it time to move on and 'upgrade'. I have not checked out Monteros; simply because I have my mind set on a T4R. I should give a look into it though. I am not sure on there being any years prone to frame rot like the early Tundra and Tacomas. I simply viewed the Buyers' Guide for the T4R, and aside from rust, there was no mention of a major issue about frame rot.

rickashay

Explorer
The E-locker push button is located to the left of the steering column, IF the vehicles were equipped with the locker option. All 96-99 (I think 99 was the last year for the e-locker or maybe it was 2000) Limited's have the E-locker. It was an option for the SR5's.

p nut

butter
The E-locker push button is located to the left of the steering column, IF the vehicles were equipped with the locker option. All 96-99 (I think 99 was the last year for the e-locker or maybe it was 2000) Limited's have the E-locker. It was an option for the SR5's.

It may be different in Canada, but there are plenty of US Limiteds without the e-locker. It was an option on all 4WD trims. E-locked 3rd Gen 4Runners were available from 96-00. There was no "TRD" option from the factory with 4Runners.

rickashay

Explorer
It may be different in Canada, but there are plenty of US Limiteds without the e-locker. It was an option on all 4WD trims. E-locked 3rd Gen 4Runners were available from 96-00. There was no "TRD" option from the factory with 4Runners.

Yup, all Limited 4Runner's in Canada are E-locker equipped from what I've seen.

Jeep has been sold. Let the search for a 99-00 4Runner begin!

Good luck! I'll be watching out for your build thread. Cheers

john101477

Photographer in the Wild
4runner all the way. Jeeps not even close.
The 4runner will run forever, be more comfortable, and go just as many places as the xj.

summerprophet

Adventurer
Bought my 4runner a year ago and it has been great. Like yourself I researched for a LONG time, and determined for ME, that I wanted a '99 or rare '00 with AWD/4WD and a locker..... my wife wanted leather and sunroof. Pre-99's have different interior plastic, which sounds pretty petty, but after dealing with the riduculous cupholders on my '96, I knew I wanted the updated plastic. Anything after Mid-00's loses the Rear Locker for the central diff lock. I also wanted a moderate lift, 32/33 tires, under 200k, and well maintained.

You aren't that terribly far from me, so I imagine our searches would be similar. I would hit up craigslist 3 times a week, in all of Washington and Oregon..... occasionally Idaho, and search for *runner (as people list them as 4runner, 4 runner, forerunner, fourRunner, etc...)

Bend actually seemed to have the highest amount of stuff for sale during the period I was looking.

I ended up with a 99 Limited like I wanted. 33's, Bumpers, sliders, winch, front AND rear ARB lockers, 3" lift, 185k. I openly admit that I overpaid at $8000, as it did need a bit of work (steering rack, mainly), but it suited my needs, and was at the upper limit of my budget. I had to pry the keys out of the previous owners hands.

While the limited, did not ALL have the locker, it was a pretty common package, and I would say more than half of the Limited editions came with the locker. To get a locker on a non-limited was typically customer request or special order.

The Holy grail or 4runners (so I have been told), is a '99 with a 5speed and a locker. Limiteds never came with a 5speed, and non-limiteds rarely came with a locker. Also the '99 is the tallest of all the stock 3rd gens.

In my case, I wanted the Auto transmission that came in the 99-early 00 limiteds, which had the central diff lock (AWD) in addition to 4x4. Pushbutton AWD for icy highways, with real 4x4 for goat trails.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior