Tembo Tusk Scottle Recipes, Tips and Tricks

TemboTusk

Rendezvous Con
Been a while since any updates!

Fried Apple Turnovers From our friends at Blueridge Overland Gear

We’ve tried for a while now to come up with an original dessert for the TemboTusk Skottle. Something as easy to make on the trail as it is delicious. So here is our version of an apple turnover. It only takes a few ingredients and a few minutes to make a dessert that’s sure to be a be a hit with all your favorite trail-blazers. While we used apples, canned peaches, cherries or blueberries would work just as nicely.

*Important note: We used canned fried apples in an attempt to simplify your trail cooking process. Feel free to use fresh apples. Just remember to peel, chop and cook them on the Skottle Grill ahead of time. If you aren’t using per-sweetened, canned fruit, throw in some cinnamon and sugar while simmering.

What you’ll need:

8″ flour tortillas – one per person

1 – 15 oz. can* or 1 lb. of fresh apples; prepared as mentioned above. (Apples cook down, so if you are using fresh apples, you’ll need about one apple per person).

*Important note: One 15oz. can of apples makes about three turnovers

1 stick of butter, softened.
Mildly flavored cooking oil as needed, such as vegetable or canola
Granulated table sugar and cinnamon to taste
Optional: serve a la mode – Top each turnover with a scoop of vanilla ice cream when serving.

The Process:

Place a few tablespoons of oil in the center of the Skottle and heat on a lower heat setting.

Place canned or fresh apples in the center of grill and Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Cook until tender.

Push apples to the outer rim of the Skottle to keep warm.

Add a small amount of cooking oil to the juices and cinnamon that are already in the Skottle from cooking the apples.

Coat one side of a flour tortilla with softened butter
*Important note: One thing we didn’t consider until our second batch of turnovers (not pictured): Before placing tortillas on Skottle, use fingers to dampen the outer edges of the tortilla just slightly with water (don’t soak the tortilla or it won’t stick). This allows you to press and seal the edges of the turnover with a spatula so that all the apple goodness inside doesn’t spill out when you flip them. Live an learn, right?

Place tortilla directly in center of Skottle when the oil is bubbling again.

Using a spatula, cover half of the tortilla with apple mixture.

Cook until one side of the tortilla is golden. Flip over with spatula and cook until the other side is also golden.

Place on a plate and top with vanilla ice cream.

TemboTusk

Rendezvous Con
From our friends at Blue Ridge Overland Gear we present:

Eggs Benedict a la Skottle!

What you’ll need:

A TemboTusk Skottle!

English Muffins – 1 per person, (or ½ a muffin if you want it open-faced as pictured)
Thinly sliced Canadian bacon or ham (1-2 person)
1 egg person
Metal Mason jar rings
White or rice vinegar
Chopped parsley, for garnish
4 teaspoons white or rice vinegar

The Process:

Turn TemboTusk Skottle on low heat
Place can or small pot of Hollandaise on the Skottle, slight off side to the center.
Slice each muffin and lay them face down on the Skottle, toasting until golden.
Move muffins to outer rim of Skottle as shown.
Place ham or Canadian bacon on Skottle, brown until slightly crisp

20151210_121446-263x300.jpg

Move ham or Canadian Bacon to the outer rim of the Skottle and
pour about an inch of water into the middle of the grill.

20151210_122921-300x202.jpg

When water is boiling, place Mason jar rings into the middle of the Skottle with widest part of rings facing up. Crack eggs and pour one into each jar lid. Cook until egg is preferred consistency.

20151210_124609-300x300.jpg

Layer each muffin with ham or Canadian bacon.

20151210_125052.jpg

Using a spatula, place egg on top of the Canadian bacon or ham. Remove mason jar ring.
Pour Hollandaise sauce over top and garnish with parsley.
Serve hot.

Note: You want to serve your Hollandaise sauce warm. We used a Jet Boil. If you don’t have a Jet Boil, use a small pot or a tin can settled on top of a Mason jar lid. You can pour the sauce in and place it on the TemboTusk Skottle to keep it toasty.

20151210_125813.jpg

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Dang, that looks so good. Seriously considering adding a Skottle to my kit. Recipes like this help - unfortunately I can't get away with the big "scramble a bunch of starch/protein" type recipes since the wife is vegetarian and the kiddo is picky...

TemboTusk

Rendezvous Con
Herbie,

The Skottle is a natural for stir fry and healthy cooking. Anything you can cook in a wok you can cook in the Skottle. You can steam vegetables by placing a pot cover over the Skottle and adding water. Steams up great!

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Hi Jerry. Yeah, my biggest challenge isn't what to cook, so much as having to keep certain foods separated. After 25 years without meat, wife's stomach is sensitive enough that if I mix meat into her food, it makes for an uncomfortable night since she has trouble digesting it. I end up either cooking separate meals, or a hearty side dish with a separate protein, etc. I'm always working on new strategies, though, so I'm sure I can come up with something. At least with the skottle it'd be easy to cook the meat, clean it, then do the veg, etc.

It's on my Christmas list, so we'll see!

spoolup

Thanks Jerry for the quick shipping on my Skottle. You beat amazon prime by a few hours since I bought the burner there, but MAN is this thing awesome. Made up some disco egg fry sandwich's for breakfast this morning on it. Girlfriend was defiantly a fan. I should have taken photos of it cooking but I know Ill have a chance to do it again next weekend. Incase anyone is curious.

Heat oil in center of skillet. Toss in a good pinch of chopped cilantro. Then crack in 2 eggs. Don't scramble, just break yokes with turner/ spatula. Toss on some chopped green onion. Spice with ground coriander, yellow mustard seed, chili powder of choice (I used chipolte powder), Garam marsala, salt and pepper. Top with 2 split dinner/ water rolls, then season bread the same as the eggs. drizzle with oil, flip and smash into pan. I just used the turner bottom and pressed with hand. But a potato smasher works awesome too (how I make it in the house), just less to clean using the same utensil for everything when backcountry... flip again a minute later, flip again, and score against roll lines, fold and serve. Amazing taste, very filling, and quick.

Here is a youtube video of them being made by street vendors in India.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOaKPzhHzL4

And one of my fav Indian youtube cooks, madhura
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSF5P3tVRbI

My end result, my daughter grabbed one of the sections as soon as it was plated, she loves these.

23244023884_8c20f760c2_b.jpg

Last edited:

TemboTusk

Rendezvous Con
I doing a camping trip that will require cooking Appetizers. Looking for suggestions! Of course the the appetizers will be cooked on the Skottle!

aaen

Adventurer
Spoolup,

Thanks it been a long time since I've had those!! Greatly appreciate the reminder and the videos.

Regards

Steve

Arclight

SAR guy
I doing a camping trip that will require cooking Appetizers. Looking for suggestions! Of course the the appetizers will be cooked on the Skottle!

Jerry,

I'd go hit the H-Mart in Buena Park. An Asian grocery store will have lots of appetizers and finger foods designed for wok preparation. Some ideas from our trip there last night (free sample day!):

-Dumplings (vegetable, seafood, pork, etc)
-Vegetable and seafood cakes (They're kind of like croquettes - 2" diameter patties of ground ingredients)
-Green Onion Pancakes (Available in the frozen foods section)
-Dam Bing (crack an egg on the grill, then cover with a thin tortilla-like pastry you get in the frozen section. Optionally, include grilled green onions, thin-cut meat, etc. Top with Oyster Sauce).
-Stir-fry Jumbo Shrimp
-Breaded Calimari
-The usual deep-fryer fare, such as egg rolls, mozzarella sticks, etc. Check the utensils section of the Asian market - they have a ~4" diameter flat wire basket with extremely fine mesh. This is what you need to make the oil super-clean between fryer runs. The food looks and tastes much better if you can strain the oil well. This is how they do it at the night market in Taiwan.
-Fried bananas (South American delicacy!)
-Falafel

Arclight

TemboTusk

Rendezvous Con
Arclight,

Great suggestions! I will check out the H-Mart. I would not have thought to go to an Asian market and they so have great finger food! Thanks!

JamesC

Adventurer
We love our skottle. We've cooked regularly on it since we got it - at home as a way to 'prep' for camping ;)

I agree with the lid/cover suggestion. We use a Chasseur lid from one of our cast iron pans because it is highly domed. This is how we finish meats like pork chops and steaks.

- My wish is to find a better quality burner. The granularity of flame control and quality of coleman leaves a lot to be desired, also no piezo starter. Any suggestions on alternative burners?

i-Ghqmjb5-XL.jpg

i-kNFNG9x-XL.jpg

i-2Bmx4kH-XL.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles