Tesla Cybertruck: The Future?

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan

From the above link (my emphasis)

Teller states that a European-legal Cybertruck would have to have "major modifications to the basic structure". Why would this be needed? It's because of the materials the truck is constructed out of in the first place. The incredibly stiff stainless steel body wouldn't deform under any circumstances in an accident meaning that, in Teller's words, "instead, enormous forces act on the occupants. Airbags then no longer help." Yikes.

Stefan Teller, an expert who is reponsible for homologating cars for European sale (he works for SGS-TÜV Saar GmbH)

Better link and more information:

F350joe

From the above link (my emphasis)

Better link and more information:

Key word here is “may” as we don’t know anything about the safety features, it could be the safest truck on the road for all we know. It maybe just barely safer than any other full-size truck, which ain’t saying much. Do EU counties have the same appetite for such large trucks?

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
Key word here is “may” as we don’t know anything about the safety features, it could be the safest truck on the road for all we know. It maybe just barely safer than any other full-size truck, which ain’t saying much. Do EU counties have the same appetite for such large trucks?
Actually, that "may" is only because the cybertruck as designed isn't out yet. The way it is designed and the materials used, it won't pass regulations. But it "may" be able to pass if they change the entire construction of it, as per Stefan Teller.

Edit: No, the EU doesn't have the same appetite for large pickups as the US. But in the US, the sideview "mirror" cams (they're in the back of the wheel well arches) would be illegal. So in the US, they will need to at least add physical mirrors.

Btw, what makes you think it is "just barely safer" than other full-size truck? Stefan Teller and others point to the exact opposite (i.e. less safe) if going through with this "exoskeleton".

NMC_EXP

Explorer
Well, I ordered the top of the line version if they can deliver in the next few years, lol. I can already see getting a pop up hard side camper shell built for this thing. I can also see a lot of advantages and efficiencies to tapping into the main vehicle battery through the 120/220v accessory ports.

What do you all think?

Not even maybe.

or

There's one born every minute.

F350joe

Actually, that "may" is only because the cybertruck as designed isn't out yet. The way it is designed and the materials used, it won't pass regulations. But it "may" be able to pass if they change the entire construction of it, as per Stefan Teller.

Edit: No, the EU doesn't have the same appetite for large pickups as the US. But in the US, the sideview "mirror" cams (they're in the back of the wheel well arches) would be illegal. So in the US, they will need to at least add physical mirrors.

Btw, what makes you think it is "just barely safer" than other full-size truck? Stefan Teller and others point to the exact opposite (i.e. less safe) if going through with this "exoskeleton".

“Maybe” safer than the others, we are still a couple years away from release. . Fullsize 4 doors don’t do well in crash test so it’s not a very high bar.

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
“Maybe” safer than the others, we are still a couple years away from release. . Fullsize 4 doors don’t do well in crash test so it’s not a very high bar.
You are ignoring what both ANCAP and Stefan Teller is saying: That the Cybertruck AS IS will be extraordinarily unsafe for both occupants and anyone hit. Stefan Teller even goes as far as saying it will be so unsafe that airbags won't help.

Your "maybe" is like saying "maybe" the sun revolves around the earth. Or "maybe" a body can survive 150G.

F350joe

You are ignoring what both ANCAP and Stefan Teller is saying: That the Cybertruck AS IS will be extraordinarily unsafe for both occupants and anyone hit. Stefan Teller even goes as far as saying it will be so unsafe that airbags won't help.

Your "maybe" is like saying "maybe" the sun revolves around the earth. Or "maybe" a body can survive 150G.

Or the maybe could be that “as is” will not be the same truck in a couple few years. Has Tesla said anything or released info about the safety? Does Teller and ANCAP know what Tesla’s plans are to meet federal safety standards? Are you saying Tesla designed a truck that won’t meet safety standards and be allowed on the road? Which sounds more far fetched? 1. Tesla designing a car that can’t be driven on the road 2. Tesla designing a car that can be driven on the road? No one has crash tested this and won’t be able to for a couple years, a lot will change by then. Until Tesla releases that info this is all speculation based on a video of the prototype. If it was ready to sell now they would be selling it now, they gave themselves a couple years for a reason.

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
Or the maybe could be that “as is” will not be the same truck in a couple few years. Has Tesla said anything or released info about the safety? Does Teller and ANCAP know what Tesla’s plans are to meet federal safety standards? Are you saying Tesla designed a truck that won’t meet safety standards and be allowed on the road? Which sounds more far fetched? 1. Tesla designing a car that can’t be driven on the road 2. Tesla designing a car that can be driven on the road? No one has crash tested this and won’t be able to for a couple years, a lot will change by then. Until Tesla releases that info this is all speculation based on a video of the prototype. If it was ready to sell now they would be selling it now, they gave themselves a couple years for a reason.

Sigh! "As is" = unforgiving exoskeleton + sharp edges concentrating forces on people being hit, and with a 3mm (4? Can't remember) 50 x rolled stainless exoskeleton. Of course, if they redesign the whole thing not only the shape, but with a ground-up redesign and include crumple zones and make it out of thinner material for those crumple zones, yes, THEN it can pass safety standards and protect both occupants and people it hits.
But by then, is it still what it was purported to be?

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
In most of the world, the "safety standards" that vehicles are required to pass depends a lot on the gross weight & designation of the vehicle.
I would guess that the standards that apply to this vehicle have no resemblance to the standards that apply to lighter vehicles, so predicting that it will fail, assumes that people know what that standard is already, and I doubt they do.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
In most of the world, the "safety standards" that vehicles are required to pass depends a lot on the gross weight & designation of the vehicle.
I would guess that the standards that apply to this vehicle have no resemblance to the standards that apply to lighter vehicles, so predicting that it will fail, assumes that people know what that standard is already, and I doubt they do.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome
Sure, the EU and Australia will surely allow this as a lorry right? Except even as such, there are rules such as not having sharp edges at the front. And even if they did allow it through that loop-hole, it wouldn't make it safer for the occupants. How many Gs do you think your body (and your neck) can handle if you crash in this thing? How many do you think your kids can handle?

ANCAP and Stefan Teller knows how physics work. If you don't dissipate and absorb the energy, your body will take it. Your body travelling at even as low a speed as 35 mph may be kept in place by a seatbelt, but without crumple zones, the full force of your body at 35 mphwill be stopped by the seat belt.

In other words; Imagine you build a rigid, un-moving "seat belt" at the end of a rail. At the other end, you are put on a sled with a seat, but no seatbelt.. Then accelerate the sled to 35 mph, and a couple of inches before your body hits the seatbelt, the sled stops and allows your body to continue into the taught seat belt. Your body being crushed will be the least of your problems as your neck will snap. And this is from a frontal impact. It is much worse in a side-impact. But either will easily kill you at much lower speeds than any other modern car/pickup.

But, yeah, I'm sure Elon can sell this to "most of the world" that doesn't have safety standards - third world, where, you know, EVs are selling like hotcakes and the infrastructure is there and the buying public is eager to purchase such things. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

F350joe

Sigh! "As is" = unforgiving exoskeleton + sharp edges concentrating forces on people being hit, and with a 3mm (4? Can't remember) 50 x rolled stainless exoskeleton. Of course, if they redesign the whole thing not only the shape, but with a ground-up redesign and include crumple zones and make it out of thinner material for those crumple zones, yes, THEN it can pass safety standards and protect both occupants and people it hits.
But by then, is it still what it was purported to be?

I personally don’t think that was the final version, not with a two year wait. It may very well not end up being what it is purported to be. They are under the gun though with Rivian and the big three breathing down their neck and possibly being first to market. The $100 deposit is a sale gimmick, had a competitor in yachts sales use a similar trick. The buyer then goes around telling everyone they bought a cyber truck, they are emotional invested now. It will make it harder for the competitors to pry them away. Of all the upcoming releases the cybertruck may very well be the last to market, least attractive, but probably less expensive. Furthermore, technology moves fast and will be much different in a couple years. Don’t be surprised if there are technological solutions to many of your concerns,.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94