Tesla Pick up reveal tonight at 8pm. Post your thoughts here...

jkam

nomadic man
The key word is subsidies.

If your idea and tech is sound, you should not need a subsidy from the government to make it work.
That is what private investment is for.

Relying on the government to make your business viable is bad business.
For both.

crazysccrmd

Observer
Sorry bud... But there is no parallel between schools, hospitals, and roads and the government and the overriding the free market to favor one technology over another.

Solar and wind are cute... And they can be part of the solution, but they are in no way "the" solution. I have 4kw of pv of the roof of my house, it works great for about 8 hours a day. It provides no power at night or during a thunder storm. A close friend has solar on her roof in Colorado... Guess how much power she is producing right now??? The answer is none... They are covered in a foot of snow.
You need to buy your friend a roof rake for Christmas.

F350joe

Adventurer
The key word is subsidies.

If your idea and tech is sound, you should not need a subsidy from the government to make it work.
That is what private investment is for.

Relying on the government to make your business viable is bad business.
For both.
But the government offered those incentives to build EV, Rockets, and solar panels. The US government investing is its own for the benefit of everyone is why those types of subsidies are created in the first place. He applied for and got the grants. He also made some of the tech open source which probably helped seal the deal in the application. I would be more concerned as an investor if he was not pursuing free money. Don’t hate the player, hate the game.

AbleGuy

[Back] Roads Scholar
Speaking of competition, just in case any of you are interested in where this market is headed, here are two links to somewhat similar articles comparing the electric trucks being planned or in the pipeline:

Tesla Cybertruck vs. Ford F-150, Bollinger B2 and Rivian R1T: Who's got the juice?

and

Every Electric Pickup Truck Currently on the Horizon

F350joe

Adventurer
Speaking of competition, just in case any of you are interested in where this market is headed, here are two links to somewhat similar articles comparing the electric trucks being planned or in the pipeline:

Tesla Cybertruck vs. Ford F-150, Bollinger B2 and Rivian R1T: Who's got the juice?

and

Every Electric Pickup Truck Currently on the Horizon
That Lordstown looks pretty slick. I wonder what GM is up to? I remember reading long ago they were going to develop a electric chassis that can be fitted with multiple bodies but never heard of it since. I think it would be a brilliant move.

That Lordstown looks pretty slick. I wonder what GM is up to? I remember reading long ago they were going to develop a electric chassis that can be fitted with multiple bodies but never heard of it since. I think it would be a brilliant move.
I believe they are working on an electric brand or models. Looks like the Hummer name could be in the cards:

rayra

Expedition Leader
well they delete that big central fuel tank and drivetrain in the Hummer1, that's a huge space for a battery system. AND they can steal a couple inches of height across the whole pan.

I keep looking at the cybertruck order page. It's only $100 to put my money where my mouth is. And it's even refundable. Maybe after I finish my christmas shopping and pay the $800 for my next batch of college classes.

Tesla stock is still depressed from the rollout, but only about 6% ($334) from the near all-time high ($359 v $361) it was at before the rollout.

AbleGuy

[Back] Roads Scholar
A writer for motor-trend just wrote a pretty good column on a defect that also struck me about this CyberTruck....the crappy visibility from the driver’s seat.

“First, outward visibility. The rear window is tiny and most of the time it'll be completely covered by a roll-up door that apparently makes a huge aerodynamic (read: range) difference. Tesla's solution is a rear camera. I've tried those on many vehicles, and most are awful. Rarely are the resolution, the angle, or the field of vision anything like a normal mirror, and there's usually little to no way to adjust them. What's more, they play a trick on your eye, forcing you to reorient your point of view from inside the vehicle to a camera mounted on the back of it, then back again. Beyond that, the big sail panels on the bed and pinched rear door windows will create massive over-the-shoulder blind spots, full stop.”

more here:

AbleGuy

[Back] Roads Scholar
Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicles May Soon Kick Tesl’s Butt.....

And another thing....Musk better not look in his rearview mirror because if he does, he’ll see the newest technology roaring up behind him, getting ready to pass his highly self-touted but limited mileage EV rigs and leave them in the dust!

According to this recent article, essentially the much better mileage hydrogen fuel cell vehicles are going to punch Musk right in the nose, knock him down, and then take his lunch then eat it too! Right now the focus in on commercial trucks but if these really take off, can person pickups be far behind?

“Musk for years has dismissed and ridiculed hydrogen fuel cell vehicles, but the truck segment is grabbing hold of it — along with cleantech and green power advocates — who had previously always chosen electric vehicles over fuel cell. Consulting firm Cleantech Group calls it a new path to “decarbonize transportation."

Nikola, Toyota, and Hyundai are being given credit for opening up the "hydrogen highway" through what they're bringing out in hydrogen-powered commercial trucks. Daimler Trucks, Kenworth, and truck engine maker Cummins are also entering the race. Fuel cell buses are another segment gaining support.

Hydrogen vehicles offer the performance and instant torque of battery electric vehicles, while providing greater range than any pure EV on the market today...”

(While we may not yet be talking about pickup trucks) “Hyundai Motor Co. plans to build a production capacity of 500,000 fuel cell systems for passenger and commercial vehicles by 2030 at a cost of about $6.4 billion. The Korean-maker recently unveiled the concept of its planned HDC-6 Neptune hydrogen fuel cell truck in Atlanta. Hyundai sees opportunities in the US, but the Asian market would also be hot — with serious commitments given to fuel cell vehicles and hydrogen stations by the governments of South Korea, Japan, and China.”

And another thing....Musk better not look in his rearview mirror because if he does, he’ll see the newest technology roaring up behind him, getting ready to pass his highly self-touted but limited mileage EV rigs and leave them in the dust!

According to this recent article, essentially the much better mileage hydrogen fuel cell vehicles are going to punch Musk right in the nose, knock him down, and then take his lunch then eat it too! Right now the focus in on commercial trucks but if these really take off, can person pickups be far behind?

“Musk for years has dismissed and ridiculed hydrogen fuel cell vehicles, but the truck segment is grabbing hold of it — along with cleantech and green power advocates — who had previously always chosen electric vehicles over fuel cell. Consulting firm Cleantech Group calls it a new path to “decarbonize transportation."

Nikola, Toyota, and Hyundai are being given credit for opening up the "hydrogen highway" through what they're bringing out in hydrogen-powered commercial trucks. Daimler Trucks, Kenworth, and truck engine maker Cummins are also entering the race. Fuel cell buses are another segment gaining support.

Hydrogen vehicles offer the performance and instant torque of battery electric vehicles, while providing greater range than any pure EV on the market today...”

(While we may not yet be talking about pickup trucks) “Hyundai Motor Co. plans to build a production capacity of 500,000 fuel cell systems for passenger and commercial vehicles by 2030 at a cost of about $6.4 billion. The Korean-maker recently unveiled the concept of its planned HDC-6 Neptune hydrogen fuel cell truck in Atlanta. Hyundai sees opportunities in the US, but the Asian market would also be hot — with serious commitments given to fuel cell vehicles and hydrogen stations by the governments of South Korea, Japan, and China.”

The Honda Insight and Toyota Mirai are some good example of Hydrogen passenger cars.

shade

A writer for motor-trend just wrote a pretty good column on a defect that also struck me about this CyberTruck....the crappy visibility from the driver’s seat.

“First, outward visibility. The rear window is tiny and most of the time it'll be completely covered by a roll-up door that apparently makes a huge aerodynamic (read: range) difference. Tesla's solution is a rear camera. I've tried those on many vehicles, and most are awful. Rarely are the resolution, the angle, or the field of vision anything like a normal mirror, and there's usually little to no way to adjust them. What's more, they play a trick on your eye, forcing you to reorient your point of view from inside the vehicle to a camera mounted on the back of it, then back again. Beyond that, the big sail panels on the bed and pinched rear door windows will create massive over-the-shoulder blind spots, full stop.”

more here:
If the sight lines of the concept vehicle are carried over to the production truck, there's no reason all of the writer's concerns can't be addressed with a camera & screen system. Of the potential pitfalls of the design, this seems relatively minor.

Hydrogen fuel cells may become mainstream, but they currently face a much larger fuel distribution problem than EVs. That's also setting aside any environmental concerns about the source of the hydrogen.

Pilat

Tossing ewoks on Titan
If you only have a camera at the very back, and the side mirrors are cameras too, wouldn't that make for much larger blindspots than if you had an actual rear view mirror further forward in the car?