Tex's '18 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro build

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I got in a short afternoon beach excursion.

na4J4XX.jpg

F2OZRHW.jpg

3wWJJFl.jpg

DvpTp3o.jpg

2bCkDw5.jpg

ZAa7MUZ.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
The more we mull it over the more we find that this is the best scenario. If that's the route we go I still have to decide if the 4Runner is the platform I want as the tow rig. These first world problems lol.

Vehicle only camper is great for short 2-3 day trips. I get annoyed with it anything over week, especially if I am setting up and breaking camp. Feels like I am constantly shuffling things around...have it down to a science now, but still! Having a trailer in addition would be great, something that everything is ready to go just by opening the door.

SUV with a RTT or pickup with a Wedge Camper, shell FWC, or a Callen... something somewhat basic. Then a decent size travel trailer, but not too-too big that it is burden.

Casita-Trailer-Four-Wheel-Camper.jpg

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I had a dolphin skull that I found on the beach in Baja...not sure whatever happened to it. Those out of the way Mexico beaches that never get groomed like our US ones, find all kinds of stuff on them.

That's how the majority of this beach is, a few miles past the 3-mile cut and the traffic all but goes away for the next 15+. There's always a dead animal, boat, jetski, crab trap, etc. washed up and lying around.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I was surprised at how well the 4Runner handled the 325lbs+ of sheer tongue weight with the bike out back. It squatted like I expected it to, albeit not as much as I was thinking it would (that's a good thing lol) and the handling at highway speeds far exceeded my expectations. Dare I say that the 4Runner tracked even better in corners and felt more planted overall with the additional weight? I only noticed a half to one gallon decrease in fuel economy as well. All in all I can say that I am extremely surprised at how it handled it and very content with the 4Runner as a bike hauler (for now lol).

Vaz4Rys.jpg

rpearce1475

Tex, many of your thoughts above regarding RTT vs trailer (and if the 4Runner would be a good tow vehicle) and love/hate relationship echoes my feelings with my 5th gen 4Runner. Any updates on your plans for RTT or trailer, or long term plans with the 4Runner?

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Tex, many of your thoughts above regarding RTT vs trailer (and if the 4Runner would be a good tow vehicle) and love/hate relationship echoes my feelings with my 5th gen 4Runner. Any updates on your plans for RTT or trailer, or long term plans with the 4Runner?

I will say that after owning three 5th Gens now, all of which have towed some sort of load at some point, I wouldn't want to tow anymore than 3,000lbs on a regular basis with the 4Runner. Sure, they are rated for more and can do it, but in my experience it isn't ideal or an enjoyable experience. The short answer is that there are much better options out there for towing, but if you only want to tow a small utility trailer or camper then they are fine. If I were going to be towing on a regular basis with mine I would add a REDARC Electronic Brake Controller. The only off-road focused trailer I have gotten serious about is the ITW trailer and with their cost steadily increasing into the upper $20's and over $30K for the moto version it is quickly becoming less appealing from a financial standpoint. That said, I haven't fully written the idea off just yet so who knows.

In regards to a RTT it's well documented that I am not fond of them. I am even less fond of the idea on the 4Runner in particular as they are so easily impacted by weight and aerodynamic drag, not to mention all of that dynamic weight up high on a vehicle that is already somewhat top heavy and tippy when lifted. Another consideration is whether or not you keep it on the vehicle full-time, will it fit in your garage with it on, and do you have the readily available man-power to help with removing and installing it each time. If not, do you have the ability and room to create some sort of pulley system apparatus to remove it by yourself? I have neither so removing it when I am done is out of the question and I don't want to be driving around full-time with it on the roof.
I have owned the soft cover style RTT's in the past and I can't stand dealing with the cover so if I were to ever consider another RTT it would be the hardshell style. JB, AutoHome, AluCab, EeziAwn, GFC, etc. are all viable options in that market along with a few new comers as well. Expect to pay $2500+ with the majority of them in the mid-$3000's.

In regards to the long term plans for the 4Runner I am still in limbo. There are things about the 4Runner that I love and there are things that I despise about it. When I am honest with myself about what the 4Runner really is then it is easier for me to like it. Around town it is a pleasurable vehicle to drive, easily in and out of parking spots and half-decent fuel economy with loads of room for groceries, the dogs and other items. Get it out on the highway and it is noisy, easily tossed by the wind, and not very sure-footed at speed, this is where I dislike it. Traveling with lots of gear and luggage along with the dogs becomes an exercise of how much crap can I strap to the roof rack. It does however do extremely well in soft sand at the beach which we frequent almost weekly where we live, it really is a fantastic off-road vehicle, the perfect size for most trails.

It really just depends on which day of the week you catch me on in regards to how I feel about the vehicle. For example, yesterday I was all about the 4Runner and I was online looking for further mods in anticipation of possibly keeping it around for a work vehicle and beach cruiser. If you had talked to me on Monday and I was more focused on the idea of going back to a HD truck or possibly even a Sprinter for the motorbikes.
This all really boils down to me and my personal fear of commitment when it comes to a vehicle lol. If it were up to my other half we'd keep the 4Runner around for the long haul and it would be used as a run-about and/or third vehicle and that very well may be what ends up happening in the end. But I haven't yet committed to that idea just yet and until I do I will be trying my best not to further invest in mods for the 4Runner which really sucks because it's not where I want it to be and I enjoy the build process. So in closing I don't have a clear cut answer for you and I doubt that I will until later this year, for now I am sitting back and letting things ride as they are.

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
I have similar sentiments. I'll only ever pull a ~2,000lb trailer behind ours, but long term I think I'm going to supercharge it anyways.

rpearce1475

Totally agree with much of what you've said. I find myself torn between a few upgrades to improve the 4Runner's driveability (upgraded suspension, pedal commander, etc.) vs jumping ship while it's still low mileage with good resale for something else. Would probably go with either midsize (Colorado ZR2) or 1/2 ton (Ram Rebel most likely) if I went that route. I have plans to get a lighter teardrop travel trailer (~2500-3000 lbs) this winter so may just wait to see how the 4Runner does towing it before I make my decision.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I have similar sentiments. I'll only ever pull a ~2,000lb trailer behind ours, but long term I think I'm going to supercharge it anyways.

2,000lbs is almost a breeze for the 4Runner. Lifted, 34’s, supercharged and regeared would make for one hell of a 4Runner. I feel your pain though, it’s good enough to consider keeping it forever but not quite good enough to keep your eye from straying elsewhere lol.

Totally agree with much of what you've said. I find myself torn between a few upgrades to improve the 4Runner's driveability (upgraded suspension, pedal commander, etc.) vs jumping ship while it's still low mileage with good resale for something else. Would probably go with either midsize (Colorado ZR2) or 1/2 ton (Ram Rebel most likely) if I went that route. I have plans to get a lighter teardrop travel trailer (~2500-3000 lbs) this winter so may just wait to see how the 4Runner does towing it before I make my decision.

I love the diesel ZR2 but the tiny back seat and bland/cheap interior kills me. I’m also pretty anti GM so I don’t think I could ever bring myself to own one, but I do appreciate them. The Rebel is a good looking truck, I’ve never owned one but I did love my Power Wagon so I can attest to the fact that the newer Rams are quality vehicles.

I love the idea of a smaller truck and they look amazing when built up, the perfect trail size vehicle, but if I’m honest with myself I’d be a fool to dump a 4Runner for a Tacoma/ZR2/Ranger, their beds don’t offer much and their back seats are insulting. A half-ton is the perfect option for most but I’ve always been a 3/4-ton or 1-ton HD diesel guy and I don’t think I could bring myself to purchase a 1/2-ton over the HD.

Our 4Runner has only been around for 9-10 months now and we already have 19K miles on it so keeping the miles low to help resale isn’t really in the picture lol. If I am being honest with myself a truck is where I truly belong and my other half prefers to have one in the garage as well so odds are we are leaning that direction but keeping what you already have is always the cheaper and easier option. Cheap and easy isn’t always the most enjoyable though and life is too short to be unhappy with what you drive and use on a daily basis or at least that’s what I tell myself in order to justify my back and forth indecisiveness lol. We all know that there isn’t any one perfect solution but seeing how we already have the LX570 and it’s not going anywhere I can more easily justify getting back into a full size truck. It’s the leaving the 4Runner alone and driving it as is part that I struggle with, they beg to be modified and they look so much better lifted with larger tires too.

Should I bail on the 4Runner next year, it’ll be for one of the following 1) Ford 3/4-ton 4x4 diesel, hopefully the Hi-Boy 2) 2016+ Land Cruiser 200-series or 3) Sprinter 4x4 high top, long wheel base with a lift (great travel rig for the motorcycles). I might consider another new Power Wagon as well. If I end up back in a truck I will very seriously consider putting a flat bed or utility bed on the back.

rpearce1475

I hear ya. I'm deployed overseas right now so the 4Runner will sit at 15,000 miles until I get back at the end of the year so at least I don't have to worry about that. Perhaps Ram will come out with a diesel Rebel in the meantime...

KTempleton

Observer
If I am being honest with myself a truck is where I truly belong and my other half prefers to have one in the garage as well so odds are we are leaning that direction but keeping what you already have is always the cheaper and easier option.

That's why i Love my First Gen Tundra double cab. It's a tad bigger than a current Tacoma has a full size bed and back seat. Then the 4.7 is more than enough power for my needs.

sn_85

Observer
2,000lbs is almost a breeze for the 4Runner. Lifted, 34’s, supercharged and regeared would make for one hell of a 4Runner. I feel your pain though, it’s good enough to consider keeping it forever but not quite good enough to keep your eye from straying elsewhere lol.

I almost think that is the answer for me, SC'd and re-geared to 4.56. I've also thought about this a lot and every time I come close to trading in the 4Runner I'm always glad I backed out. One of my biggest regrets was trading my 2013 LE 4Runner for a 2016 Trail. I think I'd feel the same if I traded the 4R in again. I've looked far and wide and there aren't many other options that appeal to me like the 4R. Mid-size trucks are nice but their small back seats are uncomfortable. The Tacoma 3.5L V6 is even worse than the 4.0L in the 4Runner. The Tacoma would need a re-gear the moment I bought it. The ZR2 is nice but again, small back seats and I agree with you on GM cheaping out on the interior. Sometimes I can't tell the difference between a rental Chevy Cruze and a $40k+ Colorado/Silverado/Tahoe in terms of interior. The Tundra is almost too big and outdated and an update is too close. I've looked at the GX460/470 and not really a fan of their looks and the rear barn door. I've test driven the LC100 series 3 different times and have never been impressed. I'm not sure, something about the looks, seating position, interior that I'm not a fan of. The 4.7 is nice but TBH it's not that impressive. The only thing I could see myself upgrading to is a LC200, moreso the 16+ models. The prices are still high though even in the used market. And honestly the though of starting a new build seems laborious.

With Toyota about to update the Tundra, 4R, and Tacoma I think it's wise for me to wait and let the dust settle. Likely keeping my 4R until 2022/23 and see what the next gen TNGA platform brings. By then my current 4R would be paid off, it would be modded to my content, the 2016+ LC200 would be cheaper in the used market, and the new 6th gen 4R would be out. That's the plan at least as long as I don't stray from it LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz