Beach Bum
jbRzacB.jpg

Tom Foolery

XQVBosQ.jpg

"Trying to solve the worlds problems"

FLyRny9.jpg

Tex68w

Beach Bum
We hit the beach today after our plans for the weekend changed last minute. The tide was down and the beach was wide, it was nearly perfect out there.

IpjDfcs.jpg

We ran across a few LX's, a 100 series and an early model 200 series, both had nicely outfitted off-shore fishing skis and it looked like they were prepping to launch. I still love the looks of the 100 series, somewhat of the more boxy classic looks of the 80 series but with a more modern drivetrain.

gIbDMqm.jpg

vuqTsQp.jpg

LBg3LGO.jpg

It will only have been eight months this coming week since we purchased the 4Runner new and we've already clicked over 16,000 miles. I don't know how we do it, but we always stack the miles on fast with our vehicles.

3LZaFIJ.jpg

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I got around to installing the rear hatch release for the 4Runner this evening. I know this is a common mod on the Land Cruisers but you don't see it all that often on the 4Runner platform. Seeing how we are sleeping in the 4Runner we need the ability to exit the vehicle from the cargo area. I slept back there during our visit to Big Bend last week and it was rather annoying to be limited to using the side doors in order to get out. I spent a whopping $8 on the flush mount button, toss in a few crimps and male/female disconnects with some 20-gauge wire, drill one hole and 30 minutes later we had a discreet and factory looking rear exit switch installed. I am definitely looking forward to using this in a few weeks when we get to camp out again. Just push the momentary button while lightly pushing against the lift gate and you are out. I am considering installing the window up/down switch back there as well, it might be a nice option to have at your finger tips while hanging out back there.

RIHCYtI.mp4

This is the trail rash aka pin striping aftermath from our trip to Big Bend Ranch State Park. I talked to my ceramic coat guy yesterday and he said they are only in the clear coat. A full day and $400 and he'd have it looking brand new again. That was reassuring to hear as they are very noticeable in the direct light and with a slight glare. I'll likely hold off on having them removed until I get a few more trips under my belt this year.

vFYCsl5.jpg

Wallygator

Adventurer
I sleep in the back of mine also and have both the lock and window switches. I use both. I lined around the back window with velcro and have a screen there so no bugs get in at night when the window is down. Still may go with a hard shell RTT cuz I am not that comfortable inside, just not enough room.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I sleep in the back of mine also and have both the lock and window switches. I use both. I lined around the back window with velcro and have a screen there so no bugs get in at night when the window is down. Still may go with a hard shell RTT cuz I am not that comfortable inside, just not enough room.

How tall are you?

I was pretty comfortable when I was in there with the lows in the high 40's, but I could see it becoming a problem when it gets warmer and the lows at night barely touch the 70's or even more. That's when a cross breeze and ventilation become ideal and things get tricky especially when you mix in the bug element. As much as I hate RTT's, I too have been considering a hard shell RTT as an option for certain scenarios. If it's just a night or two and I am by myself during the winter, I'd like to retain the option to sleep inside, but if it's warmer outside and the misses is with me, I'll likely need a roof top option. Ugh, I hate RTT's lol.

Wallygator

Adventurer
I'm 5'11" and sleep on a cot in the 4, that could be the issue but I store things under the cot while traveling. I feel I don't bring a lot of excess but I just don't have the room with the cooler and clothes, cooking/camping gear, etc., in there with me. Last trip was in the 30's and it was an ice box inside there. Had a 20 degree bag and another bag I used as a blanket on top so with all the bedding and everything else I just felt cramped. Even woke up one time and forgot where I was and hit my head on the roof :) I don't keep anything outside at night so that is a problem also

If I go RTT it's going to be a buy once cry once moment I think. Shopping the Alu-cab gen 3 or Eezi-awn Blade. I have looked at so many from cheaper (see roof nest thread) to these two and after weighing all options I think one of these two is what I will get. The traditional RTT's seem like a lot of work and I would like very quick setup and take down so they are out. These two can take hits, have good customer service, and are built to last. It will be left on the 4 full time. They are not perfect but none are. Anyway I'm going to try and make the inside of the 4 work a little longer but if I am going to keep traveling like this I am leaning towards comfort and convenience. Getting old I guess

Last edited:

Wallygator

Adventurer
Should say why I went with a cot, the cot allows me to keep the interior available when I have passengers. As you know when the rear seats are folded down the seat bottoms fold forward. I can't fit on the floor with those forward seats in the way. The cot clears those seats and gives me the room I need to stretch out. If I didn't have to worry about passengers I wouldn't have the cot and just take the seats out.

KTempleton

Observer
I wish I had pics, but I made a solo last min beach/fishing run last summer with some buddy's before we had our tent. On the way I ran into Lowes and grabbed a roll of the finest screen they had, ($22) opened the doors and folded it over it, gorilla taped the edges together on the sides (like a pillow case) and put a few magnets over to seal the bottom of the windows, but it just slides over the the door. Shut the doors and put the windows down. It took maybe 20 min to do on the beach in the dark with just camp fire light. With the breeze off the water i almost got a little cool in August. It worked so well that I was going to make a legit set to keep in the car but haven't gotten around to it. Might have to get on that for when the baby wants to take a nap or we bring the dogs along. But was thinking of hand sewing them with fishing line or something since it already has holes.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I'm 5'11" and sleep on a cot in the 4, that could be the issue but I store things under the cot while traveling. I feel I don't bring a lot of excess but I just don't have the room with the cooler and clothes, cooking/camping gear, etc., in there with me. Last trip was in the 30's and it was an ice box inside there. Had a 20 degree bag and another bag I used as a blanket on top so with all the bedding and everything else I just felt cramped. Even woke up one time and forgot where I was and hit my head on the roof :) I don't keep anything outside at night so that is a problem also

If I go RTT it's going to be a buy once cry once moment I think. Shopping the Alu-cab gen 3 or Eezi-awn Blade. I have looked at so many from cheaper (see roof nest thread) to these two and after weighing all options I think one of these two is what I will get. The traditional RTT's seem like a lot of work and I would like very quick setup and take down so they are out. These two can take hits, have good customer service, and are built to last. It will be left on the 4 full time. They are not perfect but none are. Anyway I'm going to try and make the inside of the 4 work a little longer but if I am going to keep traveling like this I am leaning towards comfort and convenience. Getting old I guess
I wish I had pics, but I made a solo last min beach/fishing run last summer with some buddy's before we had our tent. On the way I ran into Lowes and grabbed a roll of the finest screen they had, ($22) opened the doors and folded it over it, gorilla taped the edges together on the sides (like a pillow case) and put a few magnets over to seal the bottom of the windows, but it just slides over the the door. Shut the doors and put the windows down. It took maybe 20 min to do on the beach in the dark with just camp fire light. With the breeze off the water i almost got a little cool in August. It worked so well that I was going to make a legit set to keep in the car but haven't gotten around to it. Might have to get on that for when the baby wants to take a nap or we bring the dogs along. But was thinking of hand sewing them with fishing line or something since it already has holes.

I took the rear seat bottoms out this last trip and it gave me the room I needed to fit. I had a 50 fridge in the back and slept on one side, not much issue once I leveled the cargo area out to the height of the seat backs with closed cell foam from a Pelican case lol.

I made window covers out of screen material and magnets but my buddy proceeded to open the doors and knock them off a few times lol. I might try your sleeved method this next go around as I have lots of the screen material left. I want sleeping inside to work but with a fridge/freezer, myself, the misses and a 100lb dog it's not going to be possible. If I don't take the fridge I will have more room but it'll be tight with the dog regardless. I might have to reserve the sleeping inside to solo trips.

I like the look and supposed durability of the Alu-Cab RTT but I have read far too many reports of issues with them to ever drop that kind of coin on one. I hate the idea of the RTT being up there full-time too, the top heavy weight, reduced clearance, reduced handling, added wind drag, and 24/7 exposure that will break it down in short order, no thanks! I hate to even think about taking it off and on when needed and finding a place to store it when not in use 95% of the time. If I give a hard shell RTT a try it'll likely be a Autohome or JB, but I am fighting that decision for now.

Wallygator

Adventurer
I have also thought about the Autohome and JB and they have issues also. Autohome has sketchy customer service and you read lots of issues with the JB build quality. I thought hell may as well throw a few more dollars in and have a metal tent that can handle branch hits and the sun.

The Alu-cab issues have all been resolved now and supposedly it was the first round of them that had issues with leaking. All the people that had issues received new tents from Alu-cab. I was told this is no longer an issue. One thing about these high end tents is you are also buying very good customer service. People that stand behind the product.

I am leaning towards the Eezi-awn Blade but dang that is a lot of coin. (still $400 cheaper than the alu-cab after shipping).

These two tents are designed to remain on the vehicle 24/7 and should last longer than your vehicle if they are maintained. The only things that are holding me back is how much they are and the fact I would have to buy sight unseen.

Pretty scary but the sleeping inside is becoming old real quick due to the mentioned issues in my other posts. If only I didn't need the passenger area but I do. It is what it is.

I also have suspension on the way to correct the sponginess of the stock 4 suspension. Every Toyota I have ever owned the suspension has started feeling like crap at around 30,000 miles. Must be an area they cut corners on. But I have a kit coming that will handle the extra weight on top and elsewhere and be able to be expanded on if the build goes to the next level. (bumpers and such)

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I have also thought about the Autohome and JB and they have issues also. Autohome has sketchy customer service and you read lots of issues with the JB build quality. I thought hell may as well throw a few more dollars in and have a metal tent that can handle branch hits and the sun.

The Alu-cab issues have all been resolved now and supposedly it was the first round of them that had issues with leaking. All the people that had issues received new tents from Alu-cab. I was told this is no longer an issue. One thing about these high end tents is you are also buying very good customer service. People that stand behind the product.

I am leaning towards the Eezi-awn Blade but dang that is a lot of coin. (still $400 cheaper than the alu-cab after shipping).

These two tents are designed to remain on the vehicle 24/7 and should last longer than your vehicle if they are maintained. The only things that are holding me back is how much they are and the fact I would have to buy sight unseen.

Pretty scary but the sleeping inside is becoming old real quick due to the mentioned issues in my other posts. If only I didn't need the passenger area but I do. It is what it is.

I also have suspension on the way to correct the sponginess of the stock 4 suspension. Every Toyota I have ever owned the suspension has started feeling like crap at around 30,000 miles. Must be an area they cut corners on. But I have a kit coming that will handle the extra weight on top and elsewhere and be able to be expanded on if the build goes to the next level. (bumpers and such)

It's more about the added height, 13-16" in most cases, and the constant top heavy feeling that annoys me. I can handle the added weight on the roof when I am on a trip or weekend expedition, but to have to deal with that 24/7 as I run around town or to and from work is just something I am not willing to accept. Obviously YMMV and that's ok, but it's just not for me and the alternative is the PITA job or taking it off and on when needed which isn't ideal either.

Which lift did you end up ordering? I am adding a bumper soon and I am planning on changing out the front spring to compensate for the added weight until I decide whether or not to keep it and put King's or BP-51's on for the long haul.

Is a small tear drop or enclosed trailer out of the question? You can pick up a 5X8 enclosed for cheap, and doesn't have to be attached to the vehicle all the time either.

142d3afad0d390609bed602bb7f0576c.jpg

It's certainly an option and a trailer is something we've considered at length, the misses for the most part likes the idea. The issue I have is when do you drag it with you and when do you setup base camp and force yourself to double back? I have done both but most trips we are always on the move, rarely do we come back to the same place night after night and that would force you to drag it with you down the trail. This introduces the added liability of the trailer on the trail further increasing difficulty depending on the technical aspect of the trail and furthering reducing fuel economy and payload (respective to the easily impacted those areas with the 4Runner).

I know there's no perfect solution, everything has it's trade off's and one must find which set of drawbacks are the least invasive to their situation, but I have yet to decipher which that is. I think if I were towing with a 200 series Land Cruiser or HD truck then I'd be less concerned about the impact of pulling a trailer on my power and economy capabilities, but we are talking about a 5th Gen 4Runner here and I need to keep that in perspective for the time being. I wish I could be more open to the idea of a RTT as it allows for the all-in-one setup but the 4Runner in particular is so easily impacted by weight, especially weight up top and the last thing I want to do is make the entire experience less enjoyable by increasing my stress due to the reduced driving dynamics. I know, I know, I am impossible to please lol.

Clutch

<---Pass
I know, I know, I am impossible to please lol.

Aren't we all!? ;)

I always have a trailer with me 99% of the time, so I don't mind towing. What I go back forth on is whether or not I want all the camping stuff attached to the vehicle or all on a trailer. Seems like it never fails, get the truck all setup and I need to go run somewhere. Trailer would be nice to just unhook it and go run in the truck.

Tend to base camp and go explorer on the bikes, but I also tend to move base camp every couple days, if I am on a 1-2 week vacay.

Best option is to have both I think...vehicle camper for short trips and a camp trailer for longer ones.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Best option is to have both I think...vehicle camper for short trips and a camp trailer for longer ones.

The more we mull it over the more we find that this is the best scenario. If that's the route we go I still have to decide if the 4Runner is the platform I want as the tow rig. These first world problems lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles