Tex's '18 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro build

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I wish I didn’t hate RTT’s so much, it would allow me to keep my interior open to modifying with drawers and more gear instead of putting it all on the roof in cases. Can’t win them all.
What about a trailer? Like a teardrop or something? You could tow it behind either vehicle too so the set up wouldn't be confined to just the one of your vehicles.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
What about a trailer? Like a teardrop or something? You could tow it behind either vehicle too so the set up wouldn't be confined to just the one of your vehicles.

I have been down that road to some degree and we are still considering one as we speak. As I am sure you already know, they have their drawbacks as well. I do like the ability to use it with any vehicle though and they are an all-in-one solution less being able to stand up inside.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I have been down that road to some degree and we are still considering one as we speak. As I am sure you already know, they have their drawbacks as well. I do like the ability to use it with any vehicle though and they are an all-in-one solution less being able to stand up inside.
Agreed. I personally wouldn't want one for that reason and why I like our tent trailer. Even still we are looking at upgrading to a hardwall. Of course this limits you as to where you can go. But, for us we don't go anywhere a small hardwall wouldn't get to. Everyone has different requirements. Just thought I'd throw the suggestion out there.

sn_85

Observer
@Tex68w

Another consideration is that the SSO hybrid has the high clearance cutouts and C4 posted on IG that they will be coming out with theirs as well. I have the C4 and like that it didn't require the full weight of a full steel bumper and can add the high clearance sides when I want. I'd say if I went with a full steel bumper that the Relentless Fab would be my jam. You may also consider the leftover Pelfreybilt Aluminum full bumper that BAMF bought via the auction. Gram it while you can...

Also from what I hear Cruiser Brothers may be working with LRA to make a GX460/5th gen aux tank. Hopefully it's true!!!

Tex68w

Beach Bum
@Tex68w

Another consideration is that the SSO hybrid has the high clearance cutouts and C4 posted on IG that they will be coming out with theirs as well. I have the C4 and like that it didn't require the full weight of a full steel bumper and can add the high clearance sides when I want. I'd say if I went with a full steel bumper that the Relentless Fab would be my jam. You may also consider the leftover Pelfreybilt Aluminum full bumper that BAMF bought via the auction. Gram it while you can...

Also from what I hear Cruiser Brothers may be working with LRA to make a GX460/5th gen aux tank. Hopefully it's true!!!

Yea the wings seem useless to me seeing how the radius cuts already provide that clearance, I'm not sure a bolt wing will do much in the way of protection, but who knows. I agree that keeping the weight to a minimum is key here with the 4Runner. In regards to buying the leftover Pelfrey bumper, I am not sure I could bring myself to put that on my vehicle. It is no doubt one of the best bumpers out there for the 4Runner and it's a great buy, but it feels wrong seeing how everything went down with them. I am considering it though.

I found out that the 4x4 Labs bumper while made of steel, is only 80lbs, it's starting to move to the front of the pack even with how wild it looks. I like that it provides insane approach and break-over angles and it keeps it simple up front, slap my BD fogs in it and go. All of these options do eliminate the front legacy grille that make the Pro so noticeable and iconic, seems petty but that kind of bothers me lol. If nothing else I have settled in on the C4 rear and that means I no longer have to waste any time worry about that purchase lol.

TexasIsHome

Bay Area Metal Fab picked up the extra stock from Pelfreybilt. They have 5th Gen front bumpers steel($1450)/aluminum($1650) and the hidden winch mount for pretty cheap, I just picked up the HWM ($300) for ours and it should be here on Tuesday. Did I mention FREE SHIPPING?

178576d1446380367-pelfreybilt-offroad-5th-gen-t4r-front-bumper-img_5842-800x533-jpg

4b96f6f0071c1dd6def3aa3e1f19204d.jpg

2f87f1aa31282df8a9c63e34d8eed2f7.jpg

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Bay Area Metal Fab picked up the extra stock from Pelfreybilt. They have 5th Gen front bumpers steel($1450)/aluminum($1650) and the hidden winch mount for pretty cheap, I just picked up the HWM ($300) for ours and it should be here on Tuesday. Did I mention FREE SHIPPING?

178576d1446380367-pelfreybilt-offroad-5th-gen-t4r-front-bumper-img_5842-800x533-jpg

4b96f6f0071c1dd6def3aa3e1f19204d.jpg

2f87f1aa31282df8a9c63e34d8eed2f7.jpg

I was seriously considering picking up the aluminum one from BAMF but then I started digging around and talking to some former bumper owners and I heard on more than one occasion of failures on simple pulls. See below:

f34dyGx.jpg

XD7ip5b.jpg

11StWly.jpg

I can't live with that risk especially when there's no support from the manufacturer.

Dalko43

Explorer
The bumper may in fact be a bad design, but I don't know why someone would only connect to one D ring for a front pull.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Couldn't take the awful fog and non-stop rain any longer, had to get out and hit the beach regardless of the conditions.

zhxzp6n.jpg

On another note I am pretty certain that I am going to go with the 4x4 Labs front bumper. I like how minimalist it is, it doesn't add a bunch of bulk to the front end and it keeps with the lines of the factory look. Great approach angles and it only weighs 80lbs so it keeps the weight down. The price is fair and we are going to work out a solution in order to retain the TRD Pro legacy grill like in the white one pictured below. It also allows me to retain my factory size BD Squadron lights I use in the fog location and should I want to add a 20" light bar there is room for that as well.

I know this bumper won't do much in the way of protecting the radiator during an animal strike, but it has to be better than no aftermarket bumper at all. The misses thinks it's a little extreme looking, she says she see's a praying mantis when she looks at it lol.

PWn84ZH.jpg

mxXG1g3.jpg

lGhzoKk.jpg

OERAFc2.jpg

sxObdYf.jpg

Dalko43

Explorer
Couldn't take the awful fog and non-stop rain any longer, had to get out and hit the beach regardless of the conditions.

zhxzp6n.jpg

On another note I am pretty certain that I am going to go with the 4x4 Labs front bumper. I like how minimalist it is, it doesn't add a bunch of bulk to the front end and it keeps with the lines of the factory look. Great approach angles and it only weighs 80lbs so it keeps the weight down. The price is fair and we are going to work out a solution in order to retain the TRD Pro legacy grill like in the white one pictured below. It also allows me to retain my factory size BD Squadron lights I use in the fog location and should I want to add a 20" light bar there is room for that as well.

I know this bumper won't do much in the way of protecting the radiator during an animal strike, but it has to be better than no aftermarket bumper at all. The misses thinks it's a little extreme looking, she says she see's a praying mantis when she looks at it lol.

PWn84ZH.jpg

mxXG1g3.jpg

lGhzoKk.jpg

OERAFc2.jpg

sxObdYf.jpg

"Extreme" looking is putting it mildly, but it does do a good job of keeping the bulk/weight to a minimum. Looks like you might have some top-side winch access too, which you usually don't get with the slim-profile bumpers.

Only other thing I'd look at is how/if the stock air intake is exposed to the elements. I think the stock bumper does help to shield it from water ingestion.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
"Extreme" looking is putting it mildly, but it does do a good job of keeping the bulk/weight to a minimum. Looks like you might have some top-side winch access too, which you usually don't get with the slim-profile bumpers.

Only other thing I'd look at is how/if the stock air intake is exposed to the elements. I think the stock bumper does help to shield it from water ingestion.

That's definitely something to look into, I appreciate the note on that. One thing I started to think about with a lot of these bumpers and hidden mounts is the lack of direct access to the winch and even the lack of being able to directly see the drum. I need to see what that line is doing as it spools in and the slimline doesn't really offer that and the hidden winch certainly doesn't.

While the bumper is more on the wild side aesthetically, everyone that I have spoken with that owns one absolutely loves it. One thing it'll probably force me to do is upgrade the suspension and wheels/tires sooner rather than later. Opening that area up will only make my 275's on stock wheels look even smaller lol.

Last edited:

bkg

Explorer
Is "extreme" polite for "****** IS THAT UGLY ****** THING!?!?!?"

Bumpers on the 5th gen are definitely a personal taste. I have an Addicted Off-Road on my xcab and think they look good on the 5th gen... but again, it's personal preference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke