Tex's '18 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro build

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
PWn84ZH.jpg

mxXG1g3.jpg
Huh. Well. That's...different. I don't know why but it seems to me like the 4Runner equivalent of:

vanmichel

Not a fan of that bumper but I do like the rest of that build.

I noticed Prinsu has a "non drill" version. Was that available when you purchased?

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Haha in no way does that bumper mirror the awful squinty eye Jeep front ends imho lol, but to each their own.

The no-drill version of the Prinsu wasn’t out yet but I made mine a no-drill by using industrial furniture feet for the front. I wasn’t up for putting holes in the roof.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I test fit the Slee ARB compressor bracket today, I'll leave it in there until I can find time to install the compressor itself hopefully later this week. It's a nice simple bracket and I got it under a week. I like that it has the bracket built in to mount the air locker manifold should you run those or expand to them in the future.

8q6pELm.jpg

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I've been slowly adding some upgrades to the 4Runner before we head out to Big Bend in a few weeks. One weak point of the 5th Gen 4Runner is the placement of the ABS sensors on the front side of the axles. I have a buddy that had a stick get wedged between one of the front sensors on his 4Runner, it got caught in between the spokes of the wheel and the sensor and tore the wiring. This causes all hell to break loose with the crawl control, ATRAC, DHA, and of course the ABS system.

I picked up a set of the SDHQ ABS guards and installed them and what a PITA it was lol. The backside of the brake disc dust guard makes for very little room to get to the bolt that holds the sensor in and then couple that with the shock/strut and everything else going on down there and there's very little room to maneuver. The rear was even more awkward and requires you to back out the factory stud that holds them on in order to replace it with the kits allen-key SS bolt. After an hour or so of inching around on my stomach underneath the 4Runner in the garage, I finally got them all installed. It's not a glamorous upgrade but it does add some peace of mind. If you have access to a lift and can remove the wheels/tires and the rear lower shock mounts, it would make for an easier install. I think I will add some rear shock guards/skids and LCA skids as well before the trip, those bits hang awful low.

2N8DXH8.jpg

B9XKgTO.jpg

v19N3du.jpg

7bolC0A.jpg

Last edited:

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I ended up getting the ARB twin compressor installed under the hood this morning. It wasn't the worst of installs but it was time consuming, tedious and my hands simply don't fit in the areas they needed to be in. Bolting the Slee bracket down once the compressor is installed to the plate is definitely a test of ones patience and ability to finagle their hands into an odd space while attempting to almost blindly thread a bolt. I had originally planned to run it to the Switch Pros 9100, but I haven't gotten around to installing that yet and I am waiting for a few more lights and a winch/bumper before I go through all of that. For now I have it wired to a AOB compressor switch that fits in a button blank on the lower left kick panel. So far I am pretty impressed, I took my tires down to 20 PSI today on the beach and then aired them back up to 38 PSI before heading home. It took approximately 25-30 seconds for the compressor to put 18 PSI in each of the 275/70/17's (32.5's), not bad if you ask me and certainly faster than the typical gas station air compressor. I am sure that it would be two minutes plus to take a 37 from 20 PSI to 40+ PSI and you would likely need to give the compressor a break for a few minutes to cool down half way through. The compressor was certainly warm after consecutively airing up all four tires but it wasn't to a degree that one should be concerned.

I have run Power Tanks, ViaAir compressors, and York OnBoardAir systems in the past and they all have their strengths, but for the size of tires that the 4Runner will ever have fitted (34" max), this unit is more than adequate. I can see it coming in handy to blow off the rear window as well as airing up air mattresses and possibly some light air tools although a tank would certainly help with the tools. After buying the compressor at a discount, the mounting bracket, air inflation kit (needed for the QR chuck), AOB switch, and the ARB digital air inflation tool/gauge (very nice item BTW), I have just over $650 invested in this setup. It's definitely not a cheap accessory, but I think it will pay off in the long run and should I ever decide to run a front air locker all I will need to add is the manifold ($70) and I'll be in business.

3xwfl5Z.jpg

7linEEZ.jpg

KTempleton

Observer
Looking at hitting up Matagorda Friday and camping the night. Any suggestions for a good spot and possibly some fish? Will be in the 4runner since i don't have a bed rack yet for then tent on the Tundra. It's stock but 4x4. it's been prob 15-20 years since I'v been down there.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Looking at hitting up Matagorda Friday and camping the night. Any suggestions for a good spot and possibly some fish? Will be in the 4runner since i don't have a bed rack yet for then tent on the Tundra. It's stock but 4x4. it's been prob 15-20 years since I'v been down there.

Well it's Spring Break right now so you'll have to battle the idiots and the influx of people and law enforcement on the beach. The majority of folks will between the pier at the jetties and the three mile cut. I always go at least a few miles past the cut to get to more desolate beach. Your best fishing will be near the jetties or at the north end up by the pass at Sargent. Surf fishing is good anywhere along the beach IMHO, so again I would pick an area north of the three mile cut and away from others. Your stock 4Runner will be plenty for the beach and will easily carry you up to Sargent and back many times should you choose to trek up there, I would suggest that you do it at least once. You can also head back into the marsh land trails on the back side of the island and fish the many back lakes and lagoons of the East Matagorda Bay, just caution where you are traveling and where you park in relation to the time of day and the tide. You can run the entire beach without airing down, I have done it many times, but I would suggest airing down a bit if you have the time, it'll make for a better ride in the fluffy stuff. I will be out of town this weekend, otherwise I would offer to meet up. Enjoy yourself and watch the tide.

KTempleton

Observer
Well it's Spring Break right now so you'll have to battle the idiots and the influx of people and law enforcement on the beach. The majority of folks will between the pier at the jetties and the three mile cut. I always go at least a few miles past the cut to get to more desolate beach. Your best fishing will be near the jetties or at the north end up by the pass at Sargent. Surf fishing is good anywhere along the beach IMHO, so again I would pick an area north of the three mile cut and away from others. Your stock 4Runner will be plenty for the beach and will easily carry you up to Sargent and back many times should you choose to trek up there, I would suggest that you do it at least once. You can also head back into the marsh land trails on the back side of the island and fish the many back lakes and lagoons of the East Matagorda Bay, just caution where you are traveling and where you park in relation to the time of day and the tide. You can run the entire beach without airing down, I have done it many times, but I would suggest airing down a bit if you have the time, it'll make for a better ride in the fluffy stuff. I will be out of town this weekend, otherwise I would offer to meet up. Enjoy yourself and watch the tide.

Sweet! I'm very famaliar with beach driving. Normally go down to Mustang island or North Padre. Galveston or Boliver is just too much work these days with the crazy amounts of people. Thinking Matagorda will be that niche for bombing down for a weekend camp, surfing or fishing. It's right at 2 hrs from the driveway per Google.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
It's a nice happy medium between PINS and Port A and Bolivar. Less people, 21 miles of beach, cheap $10 annual permit and some decent dives in the small town of Matagorda back on the north side of the ditch. Might I suggest going to Sargent on your way down or up and riding the swing bridge across the intercostal. It is the last active swing bridge in Texas and it is set to close soon when it gets replaced by a multi-million dollar bridge.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
We hit BBSP for a short three day trip this past weekend. Most of our time off-road was spent on the Oso Loop and traversing the rest of the State Park Ranch. I am happy to report that no one in our group suffered any flats or mechanical break downs (maybe some paint and body damage :/ ), but fair warning, should you want to do any real trail exploration like the Oso Loop or the Road to Nowhere, be prepared for some epic pin striping lol.

I was pleased with how well the 4Runner did off-road and short of one or two steep ledges it didn't need 4wd at all. As always, you wish for more time to see other places, but there is simply no way to see and do everything in one visit. We will be back in the fall and I hope to hit the National Park and Closed Canyon at that time.

Here are a few pics from our group. (@gentimmy @Tomin @wakoshaman)

Heading in

vgxJUdR.jpg

uD9Yigz.jpg

H3RKzvz.jpg

OwwJ2bJ.jpg

Oso Loop

5VgJ4cb.jpg

g5UROuR.jpg

fqbQrfa.jpg

zy0OvKQ.jpg

Camp Gual 1

YGVQx7y.jpg