Tex's '18 Toyota 4Runner TRD Pro build

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I almost think that is the answer for me, SC'd and re-geared to 4.56. I've also thought about this a lot and every time I come close to trading in the 4Runner I'm always glad I backed out. One of my biggest regrets was trading my 2013 LE 4Runner for a 2016 Trail. I think I'd feel the same if I traded the 4R in again. I've looked far and wide and there aren't many other options that appeal to me like the 4R. Mid-size trucks are nice but their small back seats are uncomfortable. The Tacoma 3.5L V6 is even worse than the 4.0L in the 4Runner. The Tacoma would need a re-gear the moment I bought it. The ZR2 is nice but again, small back seats and I agree with you on GM cheaping out on the interior. Sometimes I can't tell the difference between a rental Chevy Cruze and a $40k+ Colorado/Silverado/Tahoe in terms of interior. The Tundra is almost too big and outdated and an update is too close. I've looked at the GX460/470 and not really a fan of their looks and the rear barn door. I've test driven the LC100 series 3 different times and have never been impressed. I'm not sure, something about the looks, seating position, interior that I'm not a fan of. The 4.7 is nice but TBH it's not that impressive. The only thing I could see myself upgrading to is a LC200, moreso the 16+ models. The prices are still high though even in the used market. And honestly the though of starting a new build seems laborious.

With Toyota about to update the Tundra, 4R, and Tacoma I think it's wise for me to wait and let the dust settle. Likely keeping my 4R until 2022/23 and see what the next gen TNGA platform brings. By then my current 4R would be paid off, it would be modded to my content, the 2016+ LC200 would be cheaper in the used market, and the new 6th gen 4R would be out. That's the plan at least as long as I don't stray from it LOL

That's a sound plan and along the lines of what I am trying to talk myself into. Can I get by for the next few years with the 4Runner as my daily and off-road travel toy, you bet. Do I have sellers remorse when it comes to my Super Duty and Power Wagon, sorta. Even if I went to a 200-series or back to a 3/4-ton truck I would have to start a new build, which I love the process, but the time and money spent starting over is daunting and it cuts into my funds for travel, bikes, etc. It doesn't help that we sit on these enthusiast forums and drool over each others builds and we eagerly browse @IG and do the same constantly tempting and teasing ourselves with the notion that the grass is always greener in some other vehicle. If I am being honest the wise thing to do here would be to keep the 4Runner, finish building it out into what I want it to look like and do, pay it off and then pick up another truck or Sprinter/van and start the next evolution. Until then the 4Runner will carry my bike, it'll off-road, it'll travel and camp, haul dogs and groceries, carry me to and from work and it'll be reliable and fun while doing it.

New Tundra in model year 2021, new 6th Gen 4Runner likely somewhere between 2021 and 2023, new 300-series Land Cruiser in the next few years and I am sure the Tacoma will be somewhere in that same time frame, lots of changes to the Toyota line up and I am sure that one of them will be worthy as a solid upgrade. None of those include what's set to come from Ford with the Bronco and the Super Duty Hi Boy (Ford Power Wagon), the Jeep Gladiator with a diesel option, and the new Nissan Frontier. Thinking about all of that it's probably wise to sit back and let things play out for the next year or two and see what comes down the chute.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Another morning stroll on the beach for the 4Runner is in the books. I am always amazed at how well this vehicle performs in the deep soft sand, that's reason enough alone to keep it.

It's been a while since I have posted in this thread. A little update, we've decided that she gets to stick around for a few more years. We've decided to keep the 4Runner, build it out and properly use it and then add a diesel truck back to the fold late next year. This way I get to have my cake and eat it too so I am pretty excited. I am looking forward to the next stage of the build and where it goes from here. Needless to say, this thread will become more active in the coming months.

lwSSbxz.jpg

TPbSJ4S.jpg

Tex68w

Beach Bum
She's 365 days old today, one year old on the dot. We picked her up with 1 mile on the ODO on 8/3/2018 and as I parked her in the driveway tonight she sat at 24,799 miles. To some that kind of mileage might seem a tad extreme and to others that's probably child's play, but for us that's pretty much the norm for our vehicles. Who knows what she'll acquire in the next 12 months or if she'll even stick around long enough to see, but I have to say that these Toyota's are boringly reliable.

xOtEtpM.jpg

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I almost think that is the answer for me, SC'd and re-geared to 4.56. I've also thought about this a lot and every time I come close to trading in the 4Runner I'm always glad I backed out. One of my biggest regrets was trading my 2013 LE 4Runner for a 2016 Trail. I think I'd feel the same if I traded the 4R in again. I've looked far and wide and there aren't many other options that appeal to me like the 4R. Mid-size trucks are nice but their small back seats are uncomfortable. The Tacoma 3.5L V6 is even worse than the 4.0L in the 4Runner. The Tacoma would need a re-gear the moment I bought it. The ZR2 is nice but again, small back seats and I agree with you on GM cheaping out on the interior. Sometimes I can't tell the difference between a rental Chevy Cruze and a $40k+ Colorado/Silverado/Tahoe in terms of interior. The Tundra is almost too big and outdated and an update is too close. I've looked at the GX460/470 and not really a fan of their looks and the rear barn door. I've test driven the LC100 series 3 different times and have never been impressed. I'm not sure, something about the looks, seating position, interior that I'm not a fan of. The 4.7 is nice but TBH it's not that impressive. The only thing I could see myself upgrading to is a LC200, moreso the 16+ models. The prices are still high though even in the used market. And honestly the though of starting a new build seems laborious.

With Toyota about to update the Tundra, 4R, and Tacoma I think it's wise for me to wait and let the dust settle. Likely keeping my 4R until 2022/23 and see what the next gen TNGA platform brings. By then my current 4R would be paid off, it would be modded to my content, the 2016+ LC200 would be cheaper in the used market, and the new 6th gen 4R would be out. That's the plan at least as long as I don't stray from it LOL

Have you come any closer to making a decision in regards to keeping and continuing to build your 4Runner or is it soon to be on the chopping block? I am still hot and cold on the subject, I hate that I allow it to consume as much of my time pondering the possibilities as I do.

sn_85

Observer
Have you come any closer to making a decision in regards to keeping and continuing to build your 4Runner or is it soon to be on the chopping block? I am still hot and cold on the subject, I hate that I allow it to consume as much of my time pondering the possibilities as I do.

Haha yeah. I hate how the 4Runner consumes my life as well LOL. At this point I'm all in on the 4Runner. I honestly don't see a worthy upgrade at this time. I've looked at all the options and they have their pro's/con's. I also don't see myself changing platforms for another 3 years given a few factors. 1) Besides a sluggish engine the 4Runner is the right size and capable vehicle for me 2) Used market 200 series Land Cruisers and LX's are still pricey 3) Not a fan of the GX vehicles 4) Not interested in a truck at the moment 5) Too much new on the horizon for me to change to already outdated platforms. I'm extremely interested in what Toyota does with the next Tundra and 4Runner. From what I've read it looks like Tundra is 2021/22 and 4Runner will be 2022/23. Honestly I'd be kicking myself in the butt if I threw more money down the tube by switching platforms and then find out that the next gen Tundra or 4Runner is what I really want. So I'll let the dust settle and by then the 200 series LC's will be a few years older and can make a better decision. 6) And lastly I got a new job and will be relocating. Goal is to start paying down debt and start saving for a house. So I think at least another 3 years in the 4Runner and see what happens.

That being said I'll be incrementally upgrading my 4Runner and it'll be an itch I'll have to scratch. I see this goings 2 ways. 1) I build it up and it still has good enough road manners and handling and I can tolerate 13-15 mpg that I continue to appreciate it or 2) I build it up so much that it loses so much daily driver ability that I'll relegate it to weekend adventure duties or end up selling it. Either way I'm all in with this build. In the plans are a 4x4 Labs rear bumper, 4.56 gears, and 34's down the road.

As always, this is a work in progress but we shall see where it goes!!!

Tex68w

Beach Bum
It sounds like we are kind of in the same boat, very torn on its future. I know that if it sticks around it’ll keep getting modified because that’s just what I do and I can’t help myself. 34’s (285/75) are definitely the next move along with a more proper lift like King’s or Toytec, possibly even Dobinsons if I want to keep it modest. Should I keep investing in it I’ll have to A) Keep it for weekend fun and excursions B) Strip it down and sell it when the time comes or C) Sell it as is and know that I’ll take a beating on it. The last one is the hardest to swallow but we are seeing it in the classifieds in this very forum at the moment. The 4Runner fad/craze has slowed and they simply aren’t bringing the attention and resale that they once did. Now everyone wants a full-size or so the trend seems.

At the end of the day it does everything I ask of it as it currently sits but I can’t help but wanting a better riding and performing suspension and of course the the larger tires are mostly for looks as clearance hasn’t been an issue to date. The most intriguing mods are to the interior and electrical system and those are pricey and sadly some of the least glamorous haha. I’ll have to rely on my slightly intoxicated late night self to pull the trigger on mods or she’ll likely sit as is for a while lol.

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
I've had a supercharger and BP51 setup in my cart for WEEKS now, just begging to threaten my marriage and punish my credit card :ROFLMAO: (truth be told, I'm probably just going to suck up the price on the BP51 and be done with it)

We just bought our first house, so it's unlikely to happen any time soon. Our last excursion (Lethbridge to Winnipeg) netted around 16.5mpg, those headwinds are awful through Saskatchewan.

I did hear a rumor that the new T4R and Tundra are both going to be hybrids, but it's from a questionable source... He works for Toyota, but he's one of those kinds of people. Always has to be right, and know more than anyone else. Even if it means stretching the truth and/or straight up lying.

Tex68w

Beach Bum
I've had a supercharger and BP51 setup in my cart for WEEKS now, just begging to threaten my marriage and punish my credit card :ROFLMAO: (truth be told, I'm probably just going to suck up the price on the BP51 and be done with it)

We just bought our first house, so it's unlikely to happen any time soon. Our last excursion (Lethbridge to Winnipeg) netted around 16.5mpg, those headwinds are awful through Saskatchewan.

I did hear a rumor that the new T4R and Tundra are both going to be hybrids, but it's from a questionable source... He works for Toyota, but he's one of those kinds of people. Always has to be right, and know more than anyone else. Even if it means stretching the truth and/or straight up lying.

I am leaning towards King's should I keep it and move that direction with the build, I already have the quote and shop lined up locally to do the work. I really want to do bumpers and a winch more but I need the appropriate coils and suspension in order to handle the extra weight so it makes more sense to do the suspension first. TC UCA's $700, King's $2800, BMC $200, labor $800, it adds up fast and that's for a small 2.5-3" kit to clear 285/75's lol. Another $3K in five wheels and tires on top of that so $7500 just to do the proper lift and wheels/tires, crazy money and actually more than what I'd spend on a comparable lift for a PW or SD with 37's lol, damn IFS. Toss on another $5K+ for bumpers and a winch, you do it all and I am looking at north of $16K for a build and that doesn't include the sliders and rack I already have nor am I tallying up lights or skid plates. It's nuts when I type it all out and look at it haha.

I heard something similar in regards to the 6th Gen power plant, a hybrid or eco boost style 4cyl. Sadly these 5th Gens will be the last of the simple trucks with very little tech to crap out and/or complicate matters. That's one of the main reasons for considering keeping it.

rpearce1475

Tex, I'm fairly certain I'm going to get rid of my 4Runner when I get home at the end of the year. I have plans for big trips and harder off roading next spring and summer and, like you, have figured how much it would cost to upgrade my rig with armor, suspension and the inevitable need for regearing (and maybe supercharger) and the math just doesn't add up for a vehicle I don't even like that much to begin with. Just have to decide on what to replace it with.

battleaxe

Captain Obvious
I am leaning towards King's should I keep it and move that direction with the build, I already have the quote and shop lined up locally to do the work. I really want to do bumpers and a winch more but I need the appropriate coils and suspension in order to handle the extra weight so it makes more sense to do the suspension first. TC UCA's $700, King's $2800, BMC $200, labor $800, it adds up fast and that's for a small 2.5-3" kit to clear 285/75's lol. Another $3K in five wheels and tires on top of that so $7500 just to do the proper lift and wheels/tires, crazy money and actually more than what I'd spend on a comparable lift for a PW or SD with 37's lol, damn IFS. Toss on another $5K+ for bumpers and a winch, you do it all and I am looking at north of $16K for a build and that doesn't include the sliders and rack I already have nor am I tallying up lights or skid plates. It's nuts when I type it all out and look at it haha.

I heard something similar in regards to the 6th Gen power plant, a hybrid or eco boost style 4cyl. Sadly these 5th Gens will be the last of the simple trucks with very little tech to crap out and/or complicate matters. That's one of the main reasons for considering keeping it.

It's so crazy... You could EASILY build a pretty bonkers rig with that $16K if you used an early/mid 90's Toy.

At those kind of prices, importing a LHD 4 door 70 Series starts looking more and more attractive overall...

Tex68w

Beach Bum
Tex, I'm fairly certain I'm going to get rid of my 4Runner when I get home at the end of the year. I have plans for big trips and harder off roading next spring and summer and, like you, have figured how much it would cost to upgrade my rig with armor, suspension and the inevitable need for regearing (and maybe supercharger) and the math just doesn't add up for a vehicle I don't even like that much to begin with. Just have to decide on what to replace it with.

I agree. I was leaning towards keeping it and finishing the build until I did a cost analysis yesterday between it, a new Power Wagon and a new diesel Super Duty. It’s crazy to think that those trucks which sticker for $20K+ more are actually cheaper to modify with comparable parts and almost half the price. That was eye opening and has almost certainly sealed the deal on the 4Runners fate, she’s getting axed. Now to choose between the PW and the SD. The diesel lover in me is finding it hard to accept another gasser PW but the PW is a great buy and will do 98% of what I need from a truck. That diesel though.

It's so crazy... You could EASILY build a pretty bonkers rig with that $16K if you used an early/mid 90's Toy.

At those kind of prices, importing a LHD 4 door 70 Series starts looking more and more attractive overall...

Yea. I have a lead on a buddies LHD diesel troopy, I’m just waiting on him to be ready to sell.

I need to get to a place where my wheeler isn’t my DD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94