The 2006 KTM 640 Adventure Build

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
I did a search and didn't really see any bike builds so I thought I'd let those of you who are interested in on my little orange project.:roost:

Part I: The Beginnings of the Adventure

For quite a few years I have enjoyed the outdoors and overland travel in particular. During my travels I often thought of how nice it would be to see much of what I saw from my truck on a motorcycle. It seemed to be the perfect compliment. Use my truck to pack supplies and camp out of and use the bike for day trips.

1.jpg

Scenes like this danced in my head and I knew that I had to have a dual sport.

In the spring of 2006 the thought of buying a motorcyce moved closer to becoming a reality. The major mechanical upgrades and accessories were nearing an end for my truck so the time to search for a motorcycle began in earnest. The bike had to be a dual sport. This would give me the flexibilty of going all dirt, all pavement, or the more likely combination of both. I wanted it to be relatively light, have good aftermarket support, and not be too mechanically complicated. I looked at the bikes offered by Suzuki and Kawasaki but the Suzuki had anemic power coupled with limited range, and the Kawasaki while robust with a strong following, was long in the tooth having gone 25 years with virtually no changes. I was uninspired by the Suzuki and Kawasaki (no offense DRZ and KiLleR owners). Honda had the XR650R but it wasn't available in California in '06 so it wasn't an option. I looked at the V-Strom, Caponord,and Tiger but they were quickly dismissed because they were more of a road going bike with off road pretenstions (you too V-CapTiger owners).

My next consideration was the BMW F650 GS Dakar. All ADVBimmers are synonymous with adventure biking and the Dakar was getting closer to what I was looking for, but there were two factors that were keeping me from seriously gravitating towards The Roundel offering. One was the weight. At 391lbs. excluding options and accessories the Dakar wasn't exactly svelte. The second issue was that there aren't any Bimmer Bike dealers near me, so parts and service were not something readily available. While I was aware that people travel all over the world with these things and manage to fix what's broken, my bike was to be my secondary "funship" and if anything went wrong I'd have the luxury of hauling it home to fix it. I needed to be able to easily take it to the dealer or buy parts as needed, not haul it an additional 100 miles to have it worked on or wait three to five days to have mail order parts delivered.

This led me to the offerings from KTM. Parts or service aren't an issue since there are two dealers near by. One two miles away from where I used to live and another about two miles away from where I live now (uncanny). So I looked on the KTM site and saw a few bikes that fit the bill. The first to jump at me was the 660 Rally.
3.jpg

My glee was short lived as the 660 Rally was tagged with a "Not Available in the United States" statement and an MSRP of $25,000. The 660 Rally option was purged from my thought process like a hiker with Montezuma's Revenge....ummm you get the picture.

5-1.jpg

5.jpg

I'm no Marc Coma but I can pretend can't I?

Then there was the 640 Adventure. The ideal bike for what my needs were with an affordable price. However, that too had the soul crushing "Not Available in the United States" words attached to the description.....mocking me, taunting me.

4.jpg

Okay...so my final option was the 950 Adventure, but it wasn't exactly the ideal bike for what my needs were. It is porky, with a smaller fuel tank from the factory than the 640 so it was out. While I now love the nine-fitty, I tended to perceive it then more as a dirt Goldwing than a serious dual purpose crusher. More able to efficiently gobble up miles of black slabby stuff whose dust kicking aspriations were limited to fire roads and gravel highways (which I later rescinded...hey I was new).
2.jpg

Well a month passed and I was leaning towards the Dakar again until I got a call from a friend's kid who happened to work at the KTM dealer. Apparently bikes like the 660 Rally and 640 Adventure get released mid year with the Rally going to very select dealers and the 640 shipping one each to every dealer. Needless to say I scooted right on over to the dealer to see what would be my future bike. Which I didn't actually get to see right away because it was still in a wooden crate. Anyways, a deal was struck, I watched them put my 640 together, and my butt was the first to "officially" grace the saddle for the ride home. How fortuitous for me!:wings:

DSCN1653.jpg

Here are the specs for those of you who are curious.

Model: KTM 640 Adventure
Year: 2006

Engine and Transmission

Displacement: 625cc (38.14 cubic inches)
Engine type: Single cylinder
Stroke: 4
Power: 53.64 HP (39.2 kW) @ 7000 RPM
Torque: 40.6 ft.lbs (55.00 Nm or 5.6 kgf-m) @ 5500 RPM
Compression: 11.7:1
Bore x stroke: 4.0 x 3.1 inches (101.0 x 78.0 mm)
Fuel system: Mikuni BST 40
Valves per cylinder: 4
Fuel control: OHC
Ignition: Kokusan DC-CDI
Starter: Electric & kick
Lubrication system: Pressure lubrication with 2 Eaton pumps
Cooling system: Liquid w/ auxiliary cooling fans
Gearbox: 5-speed
Transmission type
final drive: X-Ring Chain 5/8 x 1/4
Clutch: Hydraulic Magura wet multi-disc clutch

Physical Measurements

Dry weight: 348.3 pounds (158.0 kg)
Seat height: 37.2 inches (945 mm)
Overall width: 25.2 inches (640 mm)
Ground clearance: 12.4 inches (315 mm)
Wheelbase: 59.4 inches (1,510 mm)

Chassis and Dimensions

Frame type: Chromoly steel, powder-coated
Rake (fork angle): 27.5°
Trail: 4.9 inches (124 mm)
Front suspension: WP-USD 48 mm
Front suspension travel: 11.8 inches (300 mm)
Rear suspension: WP – Monoshock
Rear suspension travel: 13.2 inches (335 mm)
Front tire dimensions: 90/90-21 Metzler Enduro 3 (60/40)
Rear tire dimensions: 140/80-18 Metzler Enduro 3 (60/40)
Front brakes: Brembo Double disc
Front brakes diameter: 300 mm (11.8 inches)
Rear brakes: Brembo Single disc
Rear brakes diameter: 220 mm (8.7 inches)
Exhaust system: Supertrapp HGS 4 Stainless

It's late, I'm sleepy. I will work on Part II tomorrow.

Last edited:

ShearPin

Adventurer
Hey congrats - I am looking forward to posts on this build. Over the years I've found the urge get myself a bike hard to shake. I figure it is inevitable that one day I'll pick one up.

Always liked the 640.....

Henry

Clutch

<---Pass
Scott,

It almost feels like a snowmobile at first, mainly because of the huge fairing. Surprisingly flickable once you get used to the weight. Point and shoot type bike. Wasn't too bad on the street either. Motor has plenty of torque to loft the front end over objects, very easy to ride wheelies.

I only had 2 days on one...reluctant to give it back. ;)

wesel123

Explorer
expeditionswest said:
Have you spent much time on the trail with it yet? What is the overall feel?

First off Muddy I aint knocking your bike, this is just another opinon.

Scott,

I just sold mine a few weeks ago. Super fun in the dirt, but not as much fun as my 450EXC. You are really at the mercy of 7 gallons of gas. I totally felt like Cyril Despres going flat out in the California Desert, in the tight stuff its a bit to handle, but fun non the less.

On the street what a differnt story, WAY to buzzy. Dont get me wrong in the twisites it a blast to ride but long stretches of hwy are no buano (Trust me I tried every single anti-vibration trick in the book, Liquid bar snake, filled the swing arm with foam, gel grips, re-blanced the tires anfet every ride non of it worked). I had a week tripped planned with my best friend (whom has a 950 adv) 200 miles in I turned around. I couldn't take it anymore. Now I may be a wuss but Ive been riding for a long time and I wanted nothing more than to get off that bike.

I bought a 2008 KLR for my motorcyle expedtions and will keep the nasty stuff for my 450. Ive taken the KLR all the same places ive taken the 640, not as fast, but I still got there.

Just food for thought.

Again Muddy RIDE THE HECK OUT OF THAT BIKE!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
They do buzz a bit, it didn't bother me at all, maybe because I have a 2-stoke 300 for the nasty stuff. I have also ridden solid mount, hard tail choppers too, for hundreds of miles. Now those things will rattle your Jacobs right off.

flux

Observer
I'll be following this thread for sure. I ride an 02 LC4E which is 'offroadier' than the Adventure...carries less fuel, no fairings. As a matter of fact I'll soon be parting out an 01 E model so keep your eyes peeled.

I love mine...sure, it vibrates but there are ways around it. Get that sucker jetted properly, put some good grips on, and get some good boot inserts to take away the vibe from the feet. My inserts are called 'happy feet' or something stupid and was the best $40 I have ever spent. It's a thumper...it's gonna vibrate.

So, curious, what are you 'building' this bike into? A rally bike?

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
expeditionswest said:
Have you spent much time on the trail with it yet? What is the overall feel?

I have hit the trail with the bike and while the tank and fairing make it feel big, it really isn't. With enough seat time the bike will start to shrink. The only real knock I have for the bike is that it isn't for the short of inseam. The seat height can be daunting and with the full complement of bags it might be a bit too much to mount or dismount. Emig and Kouba make lowering links for the 640 but that's a whole other topic. ;)

Kermit said:
Scott,

It almost feels like a snowmobile at first, mainly because of the huge fairing. Surprisingly flickable once you get used to the weight. Point and shoot type bike. Wasn't too bad on the street either. Motor has plenty of torque to loft the front end over objects, very easy to ride wheelies.
:iagree:

Last edited:

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
wesel123 said:
First off Muddy I aint knocking your bike, this is just another opinon.

No worries!

MuddyMudskipper said:
I looked at the bikes offered by Suzuki and Kawasaki but the Suzuki had anemic power coupled with limited range, and the Kawasaki while robust with a strong following, it was long in the tooth having gone 25 years with virtually no changes. I was uninspired by the Suzuki and Kawasaki (no offense DRZ and KiLleR owners).

See above.:shakin: Seriously, the 2008 KLR is THE improvement of the century for fans of the venerable KLR. Honestly, if that bike were offered in 2006 my choice in bikes may not have been the same.

wesel123 said:
Scott,

I just sold mine a few weeks ago. Super fun in the dirt, but not as much fun as my 450EXC. You are really at the mercy of 7 gallons of gas. I totally felt like Cyril Despres going flat out in the California Desert, in the tight stuff its a bit to handle, but fun non the less.

On the street what a differnt story, WAY to buzzy. Dont get me wrong in the twisites it a blast to ride but long stretches of hwy are no buano (Trust me I tried every single anti-vibration trick in the book, Liquid bar snake, filled the swing arm with foam, gel grips, re-blanced the tires anfet every ride non of it worked). I had a week tripped planned with my best friend (whom has a 950 adv) 200 miles in I turned around. I couldn't take it anymore. Now I may be a wuss but Ive been riding for a long time and I wanted nothing more than to get off that bike.

I bought a 2008 KLR for my motorcyle expedtions and will keep the nasty stuff for my 450. Ive taken the KLR all the same places ive taken the 640, not as fast, but I still got there.

I agree to an extent. Yes the 640 is not the hardcore dirt weapon the 450 EXC-G or 525 EXC-G are but those are race bikes with signals and mirrors. The hi-cap fuel tank is either a detriment or an asset, depending upon what your intentions are. From what I've read the 450 and 525 EXC-G bikes are definitely not suited for the long haul in the way the the adventure bikes are. This is a fact I'm sure the suits at KTM were keenly aware of when they released the model line up.

As I mentioned in my first post, the 640 exactly fit what my criteria was. Road capable, off-road capable (not necessarily hardcore MX), relatively light, can haul gear, and easily transported on the back of my rig. IMO the 640 was the best performing on and off-road adventure bike of the '06 crop that combined all of my needs.

Additionally, at the time I also had a 450 Banshee, my Rover, my daily driver beatermobile, my '68 Cougar, and a whole bunch of gear and miscellaneous items to store. I couldn't really afford the real estate in the garage for multiple bikes.

wesel123 said:
Again Muddy RIDE THE HECK OUT OF THAT BIKE!!!!!!!!

THANKS! You can't go wrong with the '08 KLR and 450 EXC...ENJOY!!!!

Last edited:

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
ShearPin said:
Hey congrats - I am looking forward to posts on this build. Over the years I've found the urge get myself a bike hard to shake. I figure it is inevitable that one day I'll pick one up.

Always liked the 640.....

Henry

They're great bikes and thanks for stopping by!:wings:

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
flux said:
I'll be following this thread for sure. I ride an 02 LC4E which is 'offroadier' than the Adventure...carries less fuel, no fairings. As a matter of fact I'll soon be parting out an 01 E model so keep your eyes peeled.

Awesome, and thanks for checking this thread out. Funny you should mention the LC4. My friend's old boss gave him one with a blown motor for helping him modify his TRD Tacoma. Theoretically with some horse-trading I could give the 'ole 640 an "offroadier" makeover if I felt like it...but I won't for now. I kinda dig the range.

flux said:
I love mine...sure, it vibrates but there are ways around it. Get that sucker jetted properly, put some good grips on, and get some good boot inserts to take away the vibe from the feet. My inserts are called 'happy feet' or something stupid and was the best $40 I have ever spent. It's a thumper...it's gonna vibrate.

Mine runs great and I never really noticed the buziness but I think its because I knew what to expect with a thumper, especially the LC4. At least the motors don't rattle themselves apart like they did in the '01 and older LC4's.

flux said:
So, curious, what are you 'building' this bike into? A rally bike?

Maybe build was the wrong word since I am not building it from scratch, doing a rally conversion, or turning it into a chopper. It's more of a modification thread I guess.

Use my truck to camp out of and the bike to explore with. This thread will cover the implementation of modifications that I see fit to make it a good ADV bike for my needs.

Last edited:

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Nice bike!

I was leaning towards the '06 640 after I got rid of my '05 950. I bought a 1200GS and now I get smoked everytime I ride with my buddy who's on my old 950. Maybe I should've went with the 640...

Aargh!!! Why do there have to be so many great bikes?!!!

:roost:

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
HMR said:
Nice bike!

Thanks!

HMR said:
I was leaning towards the '06 640 after I got rid of my '05 950. I bought a 1200GS and now I get smoked everytime I ride with my buddy who's on my old 950. Maybe I should've went with the 640...

:hehe: :hehe: Perhaps you should have. Why'd you switch?

HMR said:
[Aargh!!! Why do there have to be so many great bikes?!!!
:roost:

Probably to drive us nuts. The street stuff is a WHOLE different story. If I had my druthers I'd own sooooo many vehicles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online