The 5-ton conversion - So far ...

Grenadiers

Adventurer
Here's the 24v Dometic A/C system referenced in the MB 1120 coming to America postings: https://www.dometic.com/en/se/produ...etic-coolair-rtx-2000-_-189945#specifications

Our cabin is a similar, but German Army built box, 13 foot long when we got it. We expanded it 29" lengthwise, and made the wife extremely happy! Was able to add a Splendide washer/dryer, and a cassette toilet. Our truck was pretty much done by the Swiss owners, we did remodel it, expand it, and added additional electric options. Four Lifeline 4D AGM batteries, 2000w 24v-110v inverter, (original 24v-230v 1600w powers the Euro stuff). Search Saurer 6dm on the Portal Forum for my writeup on it, if interested.

Buffalobwana

Observer
ITTOG, yeah, there is about 1 to 1.5” clearance between the tires.

The tire store didn’t believe me when I said they would fit.

Buffalobwana

Observer
Glad you are documenting your build, and spending money to do it~! Great ideas for big trucks, regardless of brand. Speaking of which, where did you source the MRAP seats? We're badly in need of air ride suspension seats for our Saurer 6dm. My seat is the original spring/hydraulic seat, but the passenger seat is a car seat set on an aluminum box the PO built to hold stuff. I'd like to replace both. Second question, looking at your A/C setup in the engine bay, is that a custom bracket for the compressor and alternator? We've looked at several A/C setups, Red Dot for one, and others, and most require an engine-driven A/C compressor. Dometic in Europe has a roof-top 24v with an internal compressor, but the price and availability is questionable. Thanks, Dave.
The MRAP seat was a lucky find on Steel Soldiers website. $400 each was worth it!

You are correct, the compressor sits on a special bracket. You remove the alternator bracket, throw the military bracket away if changing alternators (it won’t work with aftermarket alternators.)

Then sandwich a special made angle bracket for the compressor between the proper Cummins alternator bracket and the engine. Longer bolts are required. Oder a longer belt, and that’s it!

I have seen the Red Dot rooftop system. Might be easier to install, but I got a deal on my system, so I made it work!

Buffalobwana

Observer
Here's the 24v Dometic A/C system referenced in the MB 1120 coming to America postings: https://www.dometic.com/en/se/produ...etic-coolair-rtx-2000-_-189945#specifications

Our cabin is a similar, but German Army built box, 13 foot long when we got it. We expanded it 29" lengthwise, and made the wife extremely happy! Was able to add a Splendide washer/dryer, and a cassette toilet. Our truck was pretty much done by the Swiss owners, we did remodel it, expand it, and added additional electric options. Four Lifeline 4D AGM batteries, 2000w 24v-110v inverter, (original 24v-230v 1600w powers the Euro stuff). Search Saurer 6dm on the Portal Forum for my writeup on it, if interested.
Thanks for the AC link. I’ll check it out.

I have to correct my earlier statement. My inverter is 2000 watt continuous. Maybe it’s 3000 peak? Don’t know where I got the number.

I googled the Saurer Not too many made! Very unique. I’ll check out your thread.

PM me for the bracket idea.

Buffalobwana

Observer
If thats to mean sourcing 12V from just one battery of a 24V series set.
It will work, but seriously bad idea if you desire good lifespan from your batteries.
As said, you have time to figure out and get it right..
Yes, you are correct. The idea was to balance out two different 12v circuits to use about the same amperage/watts.

Depending on how many batteries there are, and how I hook them in series and in line (have to do both to get 24v) I think I can make a plan that spreads it out.

I may have 8 6v or 4 to 8 12 v ... any even number of 6 or 12v can get me 24 v in the end. (I say 6v bc I saw a guy on YT who had a slick setup w 6v lithium ion batteries)

Plus having a central “box” with two bus bars allows me to adjust according to draw and additional draw on each circuit.

Grenadiers

Adventurer
Another item to consider are the semi-truck APUs, generator and A/C compressor all built into one. Three cylinder Diesel engine, so could be a drawback, but for cab a/c while you’re driving probably would work.

Buffalobwana

Observer
Another item to consider are the semi-truck APUs, generator and A/C compressor all built into one. Three cylinder Diesel engine, so could be a drawback, but for cab a/c while you’re driving probably would work.
May have to do that. Or run an AC powered unit on a generator.

I have been searching for 24v and even 12v DC ac’s. I have found just a few, but designed for sleeper cabs, which are small.

Dometic makes a couple that could work, but can’t find a US$ price. The one I’m interested in is £2000 ($3000).

It’s their high output model, draws 8-9 amps, (in economy mode) which is very reasonable.

There are some in Australia, and a couple sleeper cab models. Nothing suitable, other than the Dometic.

Then you have a thousand alternating current ACs but Converting DC to AC through an inverter is an enormous waste of energy, so that’s not an option.

I know this will take a load of both solar panels and expensive batteries, but the AC is a priority.

I have searched Google, Pinterest, YouTube ... Any options I missed?

Buffalobwana

Observer
Found a price in AUS$ which translates to $1600 or so US$ For the Dometic RTX2000. It’s a 2000 watt unit drawing 9.8 amps in economy mode.

I’m sure I can find one here somewhere.

On the surface, this looks promising.

It’s design is meant to allow 6 hours of use off of a trucks batteries, and shutting down while there is still enough juice to start the truck. Considering a 24v truck runs on two flooded lead acid batteries, which aren’t too efficient, I’m sure I can put together a bank of lithium batteries that should run one all night.

My Outback inverter also serves as a 24v battery charger off 110v (shore power or generators power)

While the RTX 2000 is not AC/DC, it can run off a large bank of lithium batteries that is being charged via solar or generator.

If the batteries get low, I fire up the generator that charges the batteries.

I need specs from Dometic and the battery distributor to calculate the proper amount of battery and solar to make this work.

Last edited:

Buffalobwana

Observer
The 53’s really make that truck look big, as if it didn’t already. If you are planning on driving in sand, an aired down 53 gives a pretty big footprint. I don’t know if it’s a significant amount, but every bit helps.

Third

The 53’s really make that truck look big, as if it didn’t already. If you are planning on driving in sand, an aired down 53 gives a pretty big footprint. I don’t know if it’s a significant amount, but every bit helps.

There's also the speed increase on the highway. Takes a load off the drive train and engine. All potential bonuses.

Only downside is that the tires are starting to get a bit scarce in surplus. Really the only thing that's kept me from the swap (my truck eats tires like breakfast cereal).

Buffalobwana

Observer
There's also the speed increase on the highway. Takes a load off the drive train and engine. All potential bonuses.

Only downside is that the tires are starting to get a bit scarce in surplus. Really the only thing that's kept me from the swap (my truck eats tires like breakfast cereal).

I can go about 65-68 on flat ground (via gps), 70 is common on a slight downhill. By 75 it starts to get a bit ... funny.

The 16’s I put on the truck were new, they have about 500 miles on them now.

I traded and bought and pieces together another complete set of 16.00’s, 4 are new 3 are 80%-90%.

I have 6 more 16.00’s I bought on Govliquidation auction. Horrible pics on that site. They looked like they had good tread. All had HEMTT wheels. When I got them, they are were weather cracked. Almost to the point that I am scared to use them.

I’m selling my old set of 14.00’s to a guy this month (75% tread). They are impossible to find anymore. I’m trading them for a gun, rough value $1400-$1600. That seems to be about right for these tires.

Anyway, he’s buying the old Moab seats I had in the truck and a NOS M105 bed for his bobbed deuce.

Last edited:

Buffalobwana

Observer
I need the specs from Dometic (and ability to purchase it in the USA?) to determine the number of (probably Battle Born) Lithium batteries I need, then solar panels and a generator of my choice for backup and charging, Plus breakers, wiring, and a dozen trips to Home Depot ...

The complete electrical system (panels @ $1/watt roughly), diesel generator, batteries ($4k-$6k), AC $1500? It all ran a bit more than I thought. Luckily, I had the inverter already, all the heavy cables and lugs, shutoff switch, I have two spools of 14ga boat wiring, breakers ... you know, all those annoying $50 to $100 Amazon orders when piecing together all this stuff.

I could buy a decent used camper for the cost of the electrical system alone!

But then I’d be stuck in some campground. No thanks.

We don’t do this bc it’s cheap or cost effective. We do it to get away. Far away.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles