The airgun thread - lets see where this goes.

Expedition Leader
I found this thread as I sit here an wait for my Crosman Nitro Venom air rifle to show up. It's my first air rifle, so I'm pumped (sorry for the cheesy pun). Hopefully tomorrow will be spent shooting several pellets to break it in and work on sighting the scope.

I've had a Crosman Nitro Venom for about a year, and like it really well. It's done for a ton of squirrels and some crows on my place. It's very accurate once sighted in, but the range isn't great and the trajectory is not flat - you must sight it in for the one distance that you will shoot at most. I have enough experience with mine now that I can make longer-than-sighted shots by a slight elevation of the cross hairs.

A really nice feature of the "nitro" models is that you can leave them cocked for extended times without harm.

JPsLC

Observer
I've had a Crosman Nitro Venom for about a year, and like it really well. It's done for a ton of squirrels and some crows on my place. It's very accurate once sighted in, but the range isn't great and the trajectory is not flat - you must sight it in for the one distance that you will shoot at most. I have enough experience with mine now that I can make longer-than-sighted shots by a slight elevation of the cross hairs.

A really nice feature of the "nitro" models is that you can leave them cocked for extended times without harm.

Yeah, I like the ability to have it cocked for an extended time without worrying about spring fatigue. It didn't arrive in time to get to the range to start the break-in and sight the scope, so I'm antsy for the weekend. I'm in the city limits, so there aren't many options for shooting in the backyard.

My plan was to sight the scope to be dead-nuts at 30yds, and use windage to compensate for longer shots. Do you know what the flight path looks like out to that range?

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
Anyone come in contact with a Barnes air gun?

If you've never heard of him, get a drool bucket and check out his site - incredible craftsman, not so much with the website designing, but who cares -

http://www.glbarnes.com

I have amassed a collection of air rifles as of late. .457 caliber Texan that will drop deer at 150yds easily. .257 caliber Condor that will take coyotes at 200yds no problem. .25 caliber Escape that is fairly awesome with only a 12" barrel and capable of taking good size game to 75yds. All these are from Airforce out of Texas. They all have shrouds from R and L Airguns in Colorado that make them very very quiet. I recently got a .410 shotgun that is deadly with #4 or #6 shot out to 25-30yds on birds. I have just started to load the .410 up with 3 or 4 roundballs from the Texan and it is pretty darn impressive when that wad of lead hits.

4runnerteq

Explorer
Went home and got out my old Benjamin-Sheridan 20 caliber. Me and my my 17 year old son shot for about an hour. First time its been fired in 5 years probly. Bought it used about 20 years ago for $25. PUmped 5 times, still very accurate. I think the guy I bought it from had it more than 10 years.

Last edited:

EMrider

Explorer
Went home and got out my old Benjamin-Sheridan 20 caliber. Me and my my 17 year old son shot for about an hour. First time its been fired in 5 years probly. Bought it used about 20 years ago for $25. PUmped 5 times, still very accurate. I think the guy I bought it from had it more than 10 years.

The old Sheridans are still highly sought after. They were probably also the high water mark for multi pump airgun quality and popularity.

There are many springer and PCP designs available today. Very few pumpers.

R

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Fellow Canadians, if I order a few higher power airguns from depot, will I get hung up at the border, or as long as I have my acquisition licence I am good to go.

Storz

Explorer
I built up a little Crosman 177 pistol from their custom shop last year, its a tack driver.

vMm440OMZ_iFY5NojGOyEfpUBV58HevzL8GQVjnPE00

waveslider

Outdoorsman
Pound for pound, its quite possible that my AirForce Talon in .177 has taken more game than any other rifle I own. Kodiak Match ammo. I don't have time for anything that can't hold a quarter minute of accuracy and it does it all day long. I like the look of that FX gun and anyone willing to put an Atlas on an airgun will be welcomed around these parts.

That said, our suppressed TacSol X-ring rifle gets the nod when the shot counts for predators such as skunks, badgers and trash pandas.

robert

Expedition Leader
The only airguns I currently own are an old Daisy Beretta 92 CO2 pellet pistol and a KSC G series Glock 19 copy airsoft. I've owned a handful of Daisys and Crossmans as well as a Sheridan and a Benjamin but they've broken, been given away or lost in moves.

robert

Expedition Leader
Used lots of off-the-shelf pellet and BB guns over the years. We still have a couple too. Nothing wrong with using them or discarding them. Once you get a quality one in hand though, you never want to let it out of your sights.

The airsoft I got for yard practice as it's the same size and approximate weight as a real Glock. You can't snatch the lightweight slide or abuse it and you don't want to drop the magazines on the floor but it's good for drawing and pointing and it's fun. It's also good for teaching kids the four rules of gun safety.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94