The airgun thread - lets see where this goes.

Those Sheridan's were quite nice rifles; wood stocks, pump-up pneumatics. The 20 cal was always a pain to find pellets though. My younger brother still thinks I stole his when I left home for college 35 yrs ago; I wish I had now.

I do a lot of competitive shooting and have used airguns for quick, quiet practice for a long time. When the cheap chinese airguns started getting imported, I bought a half-dozen in bulk and have had more fun shooting and modifying them to see how accurate they could shoot.

steelhd

Observer
I would love to own a modern high power air rifle but not another .177 or even ,22. A .45 or .50 cal light/medium game rifle like a Seneca or AirForce. Lewis and Clark packed a .46 Girandoni across the NA continent over 200 years ago. As far as I know they didn't eventually chuck it into a lake so they must have made good use of it.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girandoni_air_rifle

Yes, L&C did that for many reasons, the most important one being access to gunpowder. Rather LACK THERE OF.

Part of the reason we invested in a modern PCP.

They also casted their own lead projectiles. We too are investing in the precision pellet moulds and precision slug moulds for our .30cal.

Modern hand pumps resemble bicycle pumps but are capable of ~4500psi+ .With our 480cc tank, thats ~50-100 shots depending on the power we dial to.

waveslider

Outdoorsman
Just bought a DonnyFL silencer for our Talon SS. Between the built-in suppressor in the talon ss and the DonnyFL addition, its pretty darn quiet. Almost as quiet as the suppressed 10/22 (without the bolt sound)

This guy makes some good kit.

DonnyFL Airgun Silencers

Explorerinil

Observer
Those Sheridan's were quite nice rifles; wood stocks, pump-up pneumatics. The 20 cal was always a pain to find pellets though. My younger brother still thinks I stole his when I left home for college 35 yrs ago; I wish I had now.

I do a lot of competitive shooting and have used airguns for quick, quiet practice for a long time. When the cheap chinese airguns started getting imported, I bought a half-dozen in bulk and have had more fun shooting and modifying them to see how accurate they could shoot.
I got a .20 cal silver streak and about 10 unopened boxes and Sheridan lead pellets for it. That by far was the most fun pellet gun of my youth. I’m saving it for my son when he gets old enough.

I doubt your local to me, or I'd let you shoot ours. Yes we to run a Donny. Matter of fact, ethics airguns worked out a deal with Donnie and now it's OEM equipment from them. I still want the emperor though. Just for looks, nothing else. Our current one we have is super quiet. The look of the emperor is killer though, pun intended.
Just bought a DonnyFL silencer for our Talon SS. Between the built-in suppressor in the talon ss and the DonnyFL addition, its pretty darn quiet. Almost as quiet as the suppressed 10/22 (without the bolt sound)

This guy makes some good kit.

DonnyFL Airgun Silencers

Forgot to say, SHOT show this year was pretty interesting. There was a guy talking about how he's using 22LR slugs, but achieving the same velocities and better then powder burners in an airgun. Something proprietary and it's all hush-hush right now. My theory is he's using helium with a custom set up.

Manimal70

Been shooting an RWS Diana Model 45, made in West Germany, since 1984. Just gave it to my 13 yr old son. Would really like to get myself another NICE air rifle, but not even sure whats good anymore.

Reactions: WVI
I got a .20 cal silver streak and about 10 unopened boxes and Sheridan lead pellets for it. That by far was the most fun pellet gun of my youth. I’m saving it for my son when he gets old enough.
Your post got me curious about availability of 5mm pellets, so I had a conversation with my friend Professor Google. The pellets are readily available, and I ordered a couple of Benjamin tins. There are some higher end pellets available as well. My Blue Streak is about 40 years old now, but quite reliable.

EMrider

Explorer
Been shooting an RWS Diana Model 45, made in West Germany, since 1984. Just gave it to my 13 yr old son. Would really like to get myself another NICE air rifle, but not even sure whats good anymore.
The RWS 45 is a true classic and many are still in use.

If you’re interested in another quality spring gun, IMHO you need to focus on the German made or Air Arms (U.K.) products. I’m a big fan of springers and have never had good results with the cheaper department store guns. Avoid anything with a “nitro piston” and go with a basic steel spring.

The Weihrauch hw95 or the RWS 34 are both excellent guns and still in production. Either will give you decades of accurate shooting.

You can get an hw95 (the better of the two IMHO) delivered to your door for about $330 from Krale shooting sports in the Netherlands.

I have a couple of German springers that have given me more than 25,000 shots with zero maintenance. That is why I prefer springers over PCPs.

R

Reactions: WVI

AbleGuy

[Back] Roads Scholar
If you’re crazy enough to want to really gas up the velocities of your pellet gun, look up pellet gun “dieseling” on YouTube.