The best adventure travel boots.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I've been wearing Merrill Moab mid-ankle Goretex boots for the last two years both as winter shoes and as hiking shoes. I am as impressed with these as any boot I've ever worn. Whether they're suitable for all sorts of adventure travel, I can't say but what I can say is they are about perfect for my needs (SAR, desert and forest hiking, winter, rain, general all-around shoes).

http://www.merrell.com/US/en/moab-mid-gore-tex%E2%84%A2/16222M.html?dwvar_16222M_color=J87311#cgid=men-footwear-hiking&start=1
The most popular outdoor boot ever made. I forget what the numbers are on those things but Merrell has sold millions of them. In talking to one of the Merrell designers years ago, I said, "Those things are ********. They fall apart after one year...." He said, "I know, but people will buy a new pair every year for as long as we make them."

He said they had thought about improving the materials so they didn't crap out after a year, but the idea of selling people new boots every year just made more sense - for them.

This is why I gave Zamberlan's $500 boots the value award in OJ a few years ago. One pair of boots that will without question, last 20 years. In 20 years, that works out to $3000 spent on Merrell Moab Mids that poop out every twelve months.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
This is why I gave Zamberlan's $500 boots the value award in OJ a few years ago. One pair of boots that will without question, last 20 years. In 20 years, that works out to $3000 spent on Merrell Moab Mids that poop out every twelve months.
Moabs are junk; agreed.
But where can you try on a Zamberlan? I looked on their website and only one comes in a 48...
They also look pretty stiff.

This new one from Merrell has my attention.
http://www.merrell.com/US/en/capra-mid-sport-gore-tex™/17563M.html?dwvar_17563M_color=J65023#start=1

For an overlanding boot, I want something flexible. Dry. Flexible. Light. And flexible.
I'd like it to last a long time ---- but all that "value" is moot if it doesn't fit. Or isn't flexible.
I gots to feel my clutch....

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
Asolo fugitive gtx - I noticed the other day at EMS they are still making them.

Great comfort for me right out of the box, great support for the weight, and they are wearing very well after a few years now. ~$240/pr

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Moabs are junk; agreed.
But where can you try on a Zamberlan? I looked on their website and only one comes in a 48...
They also look pretty stiff.

This new one from Merrell has my attention.
http://www.merrell.com/US/en/capra-mid-sport-gore-tex™/17563M.html?dwvar_17563M_color=J65023#start=1

For an overlanding boot, I want something flexible. Dry. Flexible. Light. And flexible.
I'd like it to last a long time ---- but all that "value" is moot if it doesn't fit. Or isn't flexible.
I gots to feel my clutch....
The Zamberlans are stiff. And a touch heavy. But, I wanted them to last a lifetime, and they will, no doubt.

I've really come to love my Wolverine 1000 mile boots for driving footwear. I love the waxed canvas upper. Feels really nice when it's warm out.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I really like my Danner Mountain Trail as an everday boot. Leather lined without gortex so they breath well and they have a gumlite sole which is pretty flexible and cush.

voodoojk

Adventurer
I sit here looking at my Merrell boots ( forget model ) that I am still wearing over 7 years now and the vibram sole is still freaking amazing looking as well as the uppers. I have also bought merrells that didn't make it 2 weeks before the side blew out.

My latest purchase were my Oboz that are wearing like steel but the are killing my feet. I have such sever foot ankle pain right now and the only change I made were these shoes. funny thing is.. The feel fine. Just super stiff. Not sure if that is what contributing to this.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I sit here looking at my Merrell boots ( forget model ) that I am still wearing over 7 years now and the vibram sole is still freaking amazing looking as well as the uppers. I have also bought merrells that didn't make it 2 weeks before the side blew out.

My latest purchase were my Oboz that are wearing like steel but the are killing my feet. I have such sever foot ankle pain right now and the only change I made were these shoes. funny thing is.. The feel fine. Just super stiff. Not sure if that is what contributing to this.
Feet are supposed to flex. Arches are shock absorbers. We're born with toes that spread, not hooves.
Most shoes keep your toes together, have a heel, and the sole doesn't flex properly.
Eventually they train your feet to not work and they do most of the work for you. And eventually parts of your foot will atrophy.
Here's an article to ponder: https://nwfootankle.com/files/rossiWhyShoesMakeNormalGaitImpossible.pdf

That's why I wanted a boot like the Thula Thula to overland in. I want some height; we have lots of mud around here and a tall boot comes in handy.
I'm not going to really hike in it so I don't want a hiker. I'm going to overland, drive mostly, camp, walk a bit. I want dry feet. I want clutch feel and throttle control.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I went to the new REI in Alpharetta and the patient gal brought out everything.
I needed a hiker. Rocks were getting through the rock-plates on my trail runners and tactical boots are too heavy to hike in.
My lightweight Merrells are fine for fair/dry weather so I needed something waterproof.

Out of everything at REI, this is the one that fit.
http://www.keenfootwear.com/product/shoes/men/durand-mid-wp

It's got too much heel and is still too stiff in the sole for my liking but it's good for walking on pointy rocks and in mud.
Bless Keen and their generous toe-boxes.

images.ashx

CSG

Explorer
I'll be sure to tell my Merrill Moab's they're crap and fell apart last year. Who on earth would continue buying shoes that only lasted a year?

BS alert.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
I had a couple of pairs of Moabs.
They never "fell apart" but the footbed would crack where it flexes after collapsing. Back then I was a fairly solid 265 lbs and tended to walk fast.

I took the Keens out for a brisk 5 miles and they did the job okay. Heavy though.
And I wore my almost-nothing NBs on Sunday for 10 miles of nasty and I can hardly move my calves today. Not used to the zero drop for trail use...

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
I had a set of Moabs and they lasted about a year. They were decent enough for that year, but that's all they lasted. I've since switched to Oboz. I'm still on my first pair, and they are going on their third year. Should be replacing them rather soon, and I'll be getting another pair of Oboz. They're designed and tested right here in my home state, are light, flexible, and wear like iron. At least in my experience.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
I had a set of Moabs and they lasted about a year. They were decent enough for that year, but that's all they lasted. I've since switched to Oboz. I'm still on my first pair, and they are going on their third year. Should be replacing them rather soon, and I'll be getting another pair of Oboz. They're designed and tested right here in my home state, are light, flexible, and wear like iron. At least in my experience.
I bought my second pair of Oboz yesterday after years with Merril. Even the REI guy said Merril don't last. The Oboz are a different color but it's the same old shoe that it was 3 years ago and REI selection is weak. You chose between fragile flashy running shoes or stiff rock climbers. Nothing in the middle but the same old Merrils and same old Oboz. They were good enough to buy twice but I'd shop around if you have the time.

ripperj

Explorer
I have a pair of Moabs on now, I meant to get some new boots over the weekend as these are falling apart. They are not too much older than a year and the left sole is separating from the shoe on the outside front, by my small toe. I'm going to try gluing them as they are the most comfortable shoes I have owned. I may end up getting another pair, although I am dissatisfied with their short life. Comfort is important though

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk 2

peneumbra

Explorer
Try those La Sportiva Glaciers. As mentioned before, I've watched all kinds of adventure television programs showing really rough terrain, and they're still just like new...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles