The Brute Rebuild / Refurb / Rehab Thread

Yetters

Wonder whats around that
OK

So I screwed up, did not follow my Dads advice and bought a car over the internet, sight unseen. I mean whats the worst that can happen?

Turns out, a lot. It got here and was indeed an AEV Brute, that someone had tinkered with and besides the damage to the body that was "forgotten" in the
description, the fact that they half assed installed a GM motor and computer in a Chrysler / Jeep vehicle and did not do a very good job of it. The only gauge
that worked was the speedo and the gas gauge, everything else was not hooked up or could not be made to work with the GM engine. The 5.3 liter V8 was running on 6-7
cylinders, the tranny was ready to fall off and needed to be rebuilt, and none of the lights worked at all. Like I said, how bad could it be??

A month long trip to Speed Sports of Chandler got the wiring sorted out, 95% of the gauges working, a three inch lift kit installed, because the GM V8 sat so low in the engine compartment that
a minor bump would have smashed the power steering pump in to the suspension and destroyed both of them. The tranny was rebuilt and installed correctly as well as the flywheel
being remachined. Now it was drivable, would pass registration and smog and Icould start getting an idea of what i wanted to do with it.

After a month of driving and record keeping I am getting 10.2 MPG, the lack of carpet and insulation proves that after 20 min of driving its a rolling oven, and the lack
of space in the bed due to the previous owner mounting the spare in the bed means i cannot haul as much as a bag of groceries, So we need to do something
with this Jeep and make it into what I want, a reliable overlander that can get me anywhere I want to go and back home again. First stop?, Randy Ellis Designs for a new rear tire carrier
and an overhead rack for an RTT or whatever I want to throw on top.

Next up? Diesel Power!!

Yetters

Attachments

• IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    548.3 KB · Views: 264
  • IMG_0014.jpg
    IMG_0014.jpg
    525.1 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
A

AngryRedBird

They say one's mistake, is another's fortune.. I've preach the fact that we buy used, second or third hand jeeps etc.. and we are left to clean up the damage as left by others.. But it would seem that you have a handle of the situation now.. Over all the body/appearance in the images is hopeful. I would almost suggest that you simply contact AEV/Brute and have them help you with cleaning up the aftermath. Who knows you might get lucky with them.

Yetters

Wonder whats around that
Yep

"You should contact AEV and ask for help"

I did and they were very friendly and helpful, sent over build info and wiring information as well as a list of spares they had in stock.
Great people, look forward to building a relationship with them.

Everything is going as planned, Coty Built has the new engine on the block and are doing the rebuild as well as the turbo
install. All the parts should be ready to ship soon, and if all works out, I will be showing off my diesel powered Brute at
Expo 2015.

Yetters

Yetters

Wonder whats around that
Dis one!

"What engine are you going with?"

Coty Built bundles everything you will need to swap in the 1.9PD TDI from Volkswagens late 2003 through 2006 production in one neat package.
Delivering 150hp and 260ftlbs of TQ on a factory set of injectors and turbo, the potential in this ultra quiet TDI will exceed most needs.

From their website, mine will have the turbo so a bit higher output.

Yetters

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
"What engine are you going with?"

Coty Built bundles everything you will need to swap in the 1.9PD TDI from Volkswagens late 2003 through 2006 production in one neat package.
Delivering 150hp and 260ftlbs of TQ on a factory set of injectors and turbo, the potential in this ultra quiet TDI will exceed most needs.

From their website, mine will have the turbo so a bit higher output.

Yetters

Awesome, thanks.

I've never actually seen anyone go through with that conversion, can't wait to see the result!

If I still had my TJ (or even a 2 door JK) that would be high on my list of engine choices.

-Dan

Yetters

Wonder whats around that
Dan

Check them out at www.cotybuilt.com

They offer several Jeep conversions, even for the JK and will work with you to get the desired results. I flew over to Amarillo TX to
see and drive a conversion done by them and i was very impressed at the way they have made it a plug and play sort of option
to get diesel into a Jeep. When you get in the drivers seat, everything works and looks the same, except the gas gauge, that
darn thing moves a lot less with the diesel! 33mpg is common with 35's and a five speed, and milage into the 40's id doable
depending on your driving style.

I am opting for a 25gal tank in mine, even with 33mpg thats over 800 miles of range on one tank!. Throw a couple of 5gal
jerry cans into the mix and you are well over 1000 miles in range. I plan to drive this rig home from Tierra Del Fuego for my
retirement gift to myself, so i will need the extra range.

Yetters

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Dan

Check them out at www.cotybuilt.com

They offer several Jeep conversions, even for the JK and will work with you to get the desired results.

Yetters

Awesome work Yetters. 33mpg in a TJ is like my wildest dream come true!

I emailed COTY yesterday about the 2.0 in the JK and just got this reply for anyone that's interested:

The development JK that we brought to the SEMA show in Las Vegas last November produced a healthy 220 HP and 390 TQ, just based upon an ECU tune of the stock 2.0 TDI module. There were no injector, turbo, or other upgrades to the engine. The JK remains in development until we wrap up the electronics integration between the VW Can-Bus and Jeep Can-Bus networks. We are not too far away from doing so. The development vehicle, running 513 gears and 37 inch tires (at a weight of over 4500 lbs. with all of the Rugged Ridge gear on it), was able to achieve 30mpg in city driving! The TDI engine RPM redline is 4500 I believe. We can alter this to 5000 electronically. The TDI will rev low as well. How low would vary a bit depending on tire size and a few other factors.
It is important for us to be able to integrate the factory gauges from the Jeep with any conversion we do.

So it sounds like it's going to be amazing, and is nearly finished with full gauge integration.
It's 20HP less than the 3.8 ltr, but it's massively more torque, so I bet it will drive much nicer and actually be more peppy. It's also lighter.
Combined with ~30mpg this could be an amazing conversion.

In theory it will be 50 state legal too because you can use a 2.0 TDI from a 2013+ so you'll have a newer engine than what came in the JK and it will have all the emissions stuff from the donor car.

Very nice, I'm going to keep watching this.

-Dan

EDIT: Interesting to point out the stock 3.9 ltr 4BT only makes 105 HP and 265 ft/lbs of torque. So the little TDI is half it's size and trumps it in power and torque.

Last edited:
A

AngryRedBird

Two words.. Love it. Wait did I say Love it.. I mean LOVE IT Great that you included the TDI site, now I wish we kept the Gulf and Jetta.. Both TDI's last I seen, One shop up north wanted 12K for a cummins Diesel swap.. the TDI version is was more affordable..

Last edited:

Yetters

Wonder whats around that
Thanks Guys,

I will keep you up to date on the conversion as well as bringing the Brute back to life and into the current stage of technical advancement we have now.

The folks at Coty Built are good people and always there for you be it an email or phone call. I think they will make the transition from gas to diesel
easy and painless. I am taking a bit of a hickey by being the first guy here in Arizona to try this, but i feel that the cost will be easy to deal with when
i can drive over 800 miles on a tank without having to worry about fuel, and when you do have to stop, you are not going to feel quite the bite at the
pump. Also, the TDI engine is a proven 250,000-500,00 mile life span. Add to that the fact that you can replace damn near everything on a Jeep from
either online or your local shop?, I think we are entering a place where the diesel Jeep will be regarded here in the states they way the early Land Rover
is regarded in other parts of the world.

So keep an eye here, i will be documenting the whole adventure of the rebuild and rebirth of the Brute.

Yetters

jscusmcvet

Explorer
Love this. Will be watching. I love my LJ and fully intend to keep it. This swap might be just what she needs somewhere down the line.

Mitch502

Explorer
Thanks Guys,

I will keep you up to date on the conversion as well as bringing the Brute back to life and into the current stage of technical advancement we have now.

The folks at Coty Built are good people and always there for you be it an email or phone call. I think they will make the transition from gas to diesel
easy and painless. I am taking a bit of a hickey by being the first guy here in Arizona to try this, but i feel that the cost will be easy to deal with when
i can drive over 800 miles on a tank without having to worry about fuel, and when you do have to stop, you are not going to feel quite the bite at the
pump. Also, the TDI engine is a proven 250,000-500,00 mile life span. Add to that the fact that you can replace damn near everything on a Jeep from
either online or your local shop?, I think we are entering a place where the diesel Jeep will be regarded here in the states they way the early Land Rover
is regarded in other parts of the world.

So keep an eye here, i will be documenting the whole adventure of the rebuild and rebirth of the Brute.

Yetters

I'd like to think so. That would be the rightful place for them :)

A

AngryRedBird

After discovering this post.. I wanted to do a bit more research.. and found another conversion site which deals with the cummins diesel.. what I was searching for is the sites FAQ's.. and I found what I was looking for..

Is the diesel conversion street legal?

Our engine conversions are available as an “off-road only” application. We make no assertion that our conversions are street legal. This is not due to any mechanical limitation, but solely due to compliance with federal regulations regarding emissions and motor vehicle compliance. For further information please contact your local DMV.

Source: http://bruiserconversions.com/jeep-wrangler-diesel-conversion/

Seeing how this has not been covered.. I just need to set my mind at ease and make sure all the I's have been dotted & T's crossed.. Not sure we are aware of any compensation when doing swaps like this.. I would hate to have dropped 20K into a conversion.. only to have it be illegal.. Now my hopes of having a diesel in our jeep, has been dampered.

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Seeing how this has not been covered.. I just need to set my mind at ease and make sure all the I's have been dotted & T's crossed.. Not sure we are aware of any compensation when doing swaps like this.. I would hate to have dropped 20K into a conversion.. only to have it be illegal.. Now my hopes of having a diesel in our jeep, has been dampered.

The VW TDI swaps are different, because you can swap in a street legal engine from a vehicle newer than what it's going into.
It will be required to pass all the emissions tests the orginal VW had to, but that won't be a problem because you're running the original VW ECU and emissions stuff.

As far as emissions go, you literally have a 2006-2013 VW whatever.

-Dan

Yetters

Wonder whats around that
Further more,

Fear not gentle readers!, Yetters has done his homework on this matter.

First, the other folks conversion features an engine that was never meant for passenger vehicle use, and so
the output of the engine (horsepower and emissions) and the weight of the engine being over the manufactures
spec for that frame and braking system will not pass any inspection of the states MVD.

The TDI has been and continues to be used in passenger vehicles, is not over the weight and output numbers for
the new recipient, and the emission specs are well known and on file. So while the other system cannot be made road
legal, this one can and has been dome here in the US already.

The procedure is as follows. Once the swap has been completed you have to report to MVD with the vehicle, title,
all information regarding the swap, (where the parts came from, who did the work, price for the conversion, etc)
the MVD will perform an inspection to verify the VIN on the chassis and frame match, and the engine does not, they will
verify the engine VIN which will assign the motor rating as well as the road tax for emissions, they will furnish you with a
new and updated title to show the engine changed from gas to diesel, and you will owe the MVD between $4-10 for a new title.

Thats all there is to it.

Yetters

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier